PDA

View Full Version : Food Detective: What to drink with pork

megimoo
04-03-2011, 02:14 AM
"This should go in Humor...."

For a recent anniversary, I gifted my wife with a Mulefoot hog. We named her Ermine, after my grandmother.

Ermine was raised at Rock Creek Mill and Heritage Farm in Argyle, Wis., by Mike and Valerie Rock. We visited Ermine several times, bringing her greens from our garden. Later, we ate her. She was delicious.

Forgotten breeds like the Mulefoot are celebrated at Cochon 555, an annual event where local chefs prepare pork to pair with beverages, usually wine.

Cochon 555 was held earler this month in the Blackstone Hotel. It’s an excellent opportunity to sample how pigs taste when they’re raised on small farms, free to romp, wallow at will and lead relatively normal piggy lives (which, of course, end badly, but at least they get some good times).

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/4371839-423/food-detective-what-to-drink-with-pork.html

Gingersnap
04-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Personally, I'd pair BBQ ribs with Mountain Dew but that's just me.

Articulate_Ape
04-04-2011, 03:01 PM
You drink that antifreeze?

Gingersnap
04-04-2011, 03:41 PM
You drink that antifreeze?

All soda tastes like antifreeze to me. Dew at least has the color down.

Bubba Dawg
04-04-2011, 07:54 PM
It does, doesn't it?

How about a good beer with the pork?

megimoo
04-04-2011, 08:24 PM
It does, doesn't it?

How about a good beer with the pork?

How about a few tall cool spicy Bloody Marys or a pitcher of cold Gin Lemon aid .Depends on the pork,for brisket a bucket of ice cold Sam Adams.For smokey ribs and spicy smoked beans Give me country Ice tea.For Pork Chilli Colorado and pepper cornbread a few Anchor Steams .

Bubba Dawg
04-04-2011, 10:44 PM
How about a few tall cool spicy Bloody Marys or a pitcher of cold Gin Lemon aid .Depends on the pork,for brisket a bucket of ice cold Sam Adams.For smokey ribs and spicy smoked beans Give me country Ice tea.For Pork Chilli Colorado and pepper cornbread a few Anchor Steams .

I'll drink to that.

marv
04-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Simple. White meat like fish, fowl or pork call for a white wine. Red meat needs a red wine.

Beer goes with pork skins, potato chips and cheeze-its!

noonwitch
04-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Isn't pork the new white meat?

I like Pinot Grigio with chicken and fish, it might work with pork, especially if you are grilling it with spices and no sauce.

BBQ pork should probably have a red wine, if it's being served with a tomato-based sauce. Chablis is a good, light red wine. So is a good label of Chianti (don't forget the fava beans!). I'd go with a California red with BBQ, and I'm not usually a CA wine fan. Parduci vineyards produce some good California reds.

Champagne goes with everything.