PDA

View Full Version : NBC poll surprise: Donald Trump tied for second in GOP field

Gingersnap
04-07-2011, 10:52 AM
NBC poll surprise: Donald Trump tied for second in GOP field

By JUANA SUMMERS | 4/6/11 5:53 PM EDT Updated: 4/7/11 8:19 AM EDT

Make way for The Donald.

Donald Trump is a force to be reckoned with on the national political stage, according to a new poll on Wednesday night.

The NBC/Wall Street Journal poll shows Trump tied for second place with Mike Huckabee, both at 17 percent, and leading the GOP pack among Tea Party supporters.

Mitt Romney is the frontrunner with the support of 21 percent of Republican primary voters.

Newt Gingrich and Sarah Palin trail, with 11 percent and 10 percent support respectively.

Tim Pawlenty, Michele Bachmann, Rick Santorum and Haley Barbour all received single-digit backing among Republicans.

The poll found Trump on top of all his potential rivals among Tea Party followers.

Trump takes 20 percent of the Tea Party vote, followed by Romney with 17 percent, and Huckabee with 14 percent, the poll found.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/52697.html#ixzz1Iqi1c5Lo

Wei Wu Wei
04-07-2011, 11:01 AM
lol

linda22003
04-07-2011, 11:01 AM
That could be an indicator of the strength of the overall Republican field - in which case, get ready for a second Obama term. :(

fettpett
04-07-2011, 11:04 AM
or just name recognition at this point. we have a year before the campaign really gets going.

Arroyo_Doble
04-07-2011, 11:05 AM
or just name recognition at this point. we have a year before the campaign really gets going.

I think it is closer than that. Iowa will heat up by this fall.

fettpett
04-07-2011, 11:08 AM
I think it is closer than that. Iowa will heat up by this fall.

yeah, once the first debates start, we'll see a huge swing in support away from Teh Donald and Huckafail

Arroyo_Doble
04-07-2011, 11:14 AM
yeah, once the first debates start, we'll see a huge swing in support away from Teh Donald and Huckafail

I am not taking Trump seriously. I think it is schtick.

The question about Huck, for me, is will he even enter the race? He has a good gig at Fox and Bachmann may be sucking up all the Iowa Evangelical oxygen while we are talking. And that is his launchpad if he were to make a serious run.

I'm still waiting to see if the big guns like Huntsman, Daniels, or Bush enter the contest. Until then, this is Romney's to lose.

fettpett
04-07-2011, 11:23 AM
If Barber is in, I don't see Daniels getting in. and the tide has turned against him.

I don't see Jeb getting into it, too much anti-Bush crap out there. I don't think people would go for 16+ years of Bush's in the White House.

Not sure about Huntsman. and I really don't see Romney getting the nod, too much baggage, his chance was 4 years ago and he screwed the pooch

Arroyo_Doble
04-07-2011, 11:31 AM
If Barber is in, I don't see Daniels getting in. and the tide has turned against him.

I don't see Jeb getting into it, too much anti-Bush crap out there. I don't think people would go for 16+ years of Bush's in the White House.

Not sure about Huntsman. and I really don't see Romney getting the nod, too much baggage, his chance was 4 years ago and he screwed the pooch

Romney follows the pattern (Reagan ~ '76, Dole ~ '88, McCain ~ '00) but the tea party wing of the Republican Party will give him a hard time. It may be that they break the cycle and we get someone else but right now, I think Romney takes it.

AmPat
04-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Romney? Why not just get it over with and accept total submission to the god of government as the libertards wish? Why slide into totalitarianism with RINOS when we can elect DIMoRATS again and get there quicker?:cool:

noonwitch
04-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Romney? Why not just get it over with and accept total submission to the god of government as the libertards wish? Why slide into totalitarianism with RINOS when we can elect DIMoRATS again and get there quicker?:cool:

I would think that Romney is the one who is most threatened by Trump, as they are both considered RINOs by more conservative republicans.

If Trump gets the nomination, I think he can win if he lays off the birther crap at that point. The voters want to hear what he can do about the economy, not whether he buys into ridiculous conspiracy theories. It'll score points in the primaries, but not really in the general election.

Lanie
04-07-2011, 12:57 PM

That's the spirit! Vote Democrat. lol.

I am forever going to choose not to trust Romney unless he officially apologizes for supporting mandated healthcare in his state. It's bad enough that Obama does. I don't want him replaced with somebody else who does. I'm also having trouble taking Trump seriously along with Palin. They're celebrities and I have trouble taking them seriously. I did take Palin more seriously before her status was officially a celebrity.

AmPat
04-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Bachmann and Joe the Plummer. That's the ticket!

Gingersnap
04-07-2011, 02:58 PM
That's the spirit! Vote Democrat. lol.

I am forever going to choose not to trust Romney unless he officially apologizes for supporting mandated healthcare in his state. It's bad enough that Obama does. I don't want him replaced with somebody else who does. I'm also having trouble taking Trump seriously along with Palin. They're celebrities and I have trouble taking them seriously. I did take Palin more seriously before her status was officially a celebrity.

Palin has more political leadership experience than our dear President and Trump has a proven track record of extremely successful business ventures (as well as some disasters that made him even more successful). Neither are celebrities in the sense of Paris Hilton or Alec Baldwin.

While I think it's premature for Palin to run (should she even want to), Trump would be an interesting candidate. He certainly understands finance and the burdens of taxes and regulation on small business. He would probably be in favor of curbing the welfare state entitlement mentality. He seems to have some ideas about the impact of illegal aliens in our country. Most of all, it's unlikely he would make embarrassing diplomatic blunders like bowing to dictators or giving the Queen of England a freaking iPod.

Lager
04-07-2011, 03:38 PM
It's getting harder to distinguish the dividing line between politics and reality TV shows. I seriously hope that Trump is just milking the publicity and isn't really going to follow through with it.

lacarnut
04-07-2011, 03:45 PM
I would think that Romney is the one who is most threatened by Trump, as they are both considered RINOs by more conservative republicans.

What impressed me most about the interview was that he supports the main points and ideals of the Tea Party. As a right winger, I could get behind Trump... Romney never.

Articulate_Ape
04-07-2011, 03:45 PM
It's getting harder to distinguish the dividing line between politics and reality TV shows. I seriously hope that Trump is just milking the publicity and isn't really going to follow through with it.

I was of a mind that Trump was pulling a Ross Perot (in it for the kicks), but after watching this (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/42469716#42469716) I am beginning to think he may be as serious as a heart attack.

fettpett
04-07-2011, 04:28 PM
I was of a mind that Trump was pulling a Ross Perot (in it for the kicks), but after watching this (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/42469716#42469716) I am beginning to think he may be as serious as a heart attack.

Rush played that earlier today, it seems like he's getting behind a Trump Candidacy or at lest likes the prospects of it

Chuck58
04-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Looking at the potential Republican candidates, it looks like another lesser of two evils election.

As for Trump, he knows how to be a CEO. He isn't my favorite choice by a long shot. But, considering what we've got running the nation into the ground now, Trump almost qualifies as an extreme right wing conservative.

An advantage Trump has is, he's willing to ante up $600 million of his own money - if that's to be believed. That makes matching the billion obumble plans to spend much easier. Honestly, I think Trump might give The One a run for his money. We'll know how dangerous the left views him if they start attacking him, like they did Palin.

Unfortunately, the perfect candidate, in my view, isn't there. I'd love to think Palin or Bachmann have a shot. They're politically in the same place as me. Unfortunately, I don't see either of them happening.

Wei Wu Wei
04-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Trumps is not going to run he's just going to be a media spectacle like Sarah Palin became after her bid.

Trump is going to be on Fox News every other night all during 2012, giving his opinions and analysis, basically giving an endorsement for whoever the republican is.

This is all just reality television personality stuff, get everyone tonotice him with "controversial statements" and then next year he's the perfect guy for the republicans. He will likely draw in many people with his antics and endorsements, but because he's not really going to run, everyone can brush of this activity as simply a guy voicing his opinions.