PDA

View Full Version : Swarthmore campus abuzz over possible gay-bashing

Phillygirl
04-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Was it gay-bashing or "ville rat" revenge?

A Swarthmore college student and his friend told police that a group of teens had attacked them after they refused to buy the teens alcohol and called them ville rats, a campus insult for local kids who skateboard and try to sneak into parties at the elite liberal-arts college.

But the victims later told school administrators that they may have been attacked because they are gay and were being openly affectionate.

The attack has been the talk of the uber-liberal, peace-loving campus since Sunday morning, when the 21-year-old Swarthmore student and his 22-year-old University of Pennsylvania friend were beaten by five to seven teens after leaving a party.

That the two would be attacked at a school accepting of queer culture - a big event is this Saturday's gender-bending cross-dressing party - has been an eye-opener for some.

"It's unsettling and disturbing," said junior Adam Bortner, 21, of Maryland, knows one of the victims. "A lot of people don't feel comfortable. It calls into question this being a safe place where this never happens and it's OK to hold hands with someone of the same sex and not fear repercussion."

Administration officials say they are stepping up security on campus and at this weekend's party.

Link (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20110407_Swarthmore_campus_abuzz_over_possible_gay-bashing.html)

The People's Republic of Swarthmore now has a cause to rally round. Idiots.

Gingersnap
04-08-2011, 02:44 PM
There was a time when college men would have been mortified to admit to a beat down by some high schoolers.

Arroyo_Doble
04-08-2011, 03:35 PM
There was a time when college men would have been mortified to admit to a beat down by some high schoolers.

On the plus side we have virtually eradicated Polio.

Novaheart
04-08-2011, 03:57 PM

Now that's funnay.

Novaheart
04-08-2011, 04:00 PM
There was a time when college men would have been mortified to admit attending Swarthmore.

fixed

Phillygirl
04-08-2011, 04:02 PM
fixed

Damn...that's exactly what I was thinking!

Rockntractor
04-08-2011, 06:42 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/homo_depot.png

Gingersnap
04-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingersnap

There was a time when college men would have been mortified to admit attending Swarthmore.

fixed

Now that's really funny! :D

megimoo
04-08-2011, 08:27 PM
fixed
As Are
Carl Levin, Michael Dukakis, Chris Van Hollen, Peter Deutsch, Molly Yard .

Bubba Dawg
04-08-2011, 08:29 PM

Nice. :D

NJCardFan
04-09-2011, 12:22 AM
fixed

Now that's funny.

Every time I hear the name Swarthmore, I think of this song line...

"When Cass was a sophomore, she planned to go to Swarthmore, but she changed her mind one day"

Novaheart
04-09-2011, 01:06 AM
Now that's funny.

Every time I hear the name Swarthmore, I think of this song line...

"When Cass was a sophomore, she planned to go to Swarthmore, but she changed her mind one day"

I have been singing that song all day.