PDA

View Full Version : No death benefits for military during shutdown

megimoo
04-08-2011, 08:39 PM
WASHINGTON In the event of a government shutdown, the Pentagon would have to delay payments of the $100,000 death benefit that families receive if a military service member dies in the line of duty, a senior defense official said Friday,

Families would get the money eventually after the government re-opens, but they could have problems paying expenses, including for the funerals, the official said, adding that the Pentagon will reach out to various military aid agencies to help those who need it.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss personnel details, said as many as 150 death benefits are paid out every month.

The death benefit is one of many Pentagon payments and services that could be curtailed if the government shuts down at midnight Friday and they range from paychecks to performances by military bands and the famed Air Force Thunderbirds and Navy Blue Angels air demonstration squadrons.

According to the Pentagon, if a shutdown ends by next Tuesday the military could get full paychecks on April 15th. But if it continues longer than that, they would get only partial pay. More than 150,000 U.S. troops are deployed to wars overseas, and thousands of others are assigned to other operations including the Libya mission and aid to Japan in the wake of the earthquake.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20110408/US.US.Shutdown.Military/

Speedy
04-08-2011, 11:12 PM
It would not be a Democrat Administration if it did not fuck over the troops for political gain.

Novaheart
04-08-2011, 11:21 PM
It would not be a Democrat Administration if it did not fuck over the troops for political gain.

Right, like putting the administration in this position isn't a political maneuver by the Republicans.

Rockntractor
04-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Right, like putting the administration in this position isn't a political maneuver by the Republicans.

The president decides what to pay and what not to pay in the event of a shutdown.

ironhorsedriver
04-08-2011, 11:47 PM
This is just one of the problems I have with a President who never served in the Military. No empathy what so ever with the troops or their families.

Novaheart
04-09-2011, 12:34 AM
This is just one of the problems I have with a President who never served in the Military. No empathy what so ever with the troops or their families.

It's a pretty big leap there to no empathy whatsoever, but rather than argue about that, it's much more amusing to point out how annoyed you will be with the GOP field in 2012.

I just went down the GOP 2012 list, and only Ron Paul appears to have any military experience.

Must have been tough choice for you when you pulled the lever for Bush over Kerry.

Rockntractor
04-09-2011, 12:36 AM
It's a pretty big leap there to no empathy whatsoever, but rather than argue about that, it's much more amusing to point out how annoyed you will be with the GOP field in 2012.

I just went down the GOP 2012 list, and only Ron Paul appears to have any military experience.

Must have been tough choice for you when you pulled the lever for Bush over Kerry.

A tough choice, Bush over Kerry?:confused:

txradioguy
04-09-2011, 02:26 AM

Wow you really are that far in the tank for the Libtards aren't you?

You must be if you are willing to blame the Republicans for the fact that it was the DEMOCRAT controlled House and Senate that failed to put forth a Fiscal Year 2011 budget that could have avoided this entire fiasco.

The rationalizations you have to go through to be a Liberal these days are truly astonishing.

txradioguy
04-09-2011, 02:28 AM
The president decides what to pay and what not to pay in the event of a shutdown.

And during the previous two shut downs....both Reagan and Clinton used their Executive Branch powers to keep us paid.

This guy...is heading off to Colonial Williamsburg.

Speedy
04-09-2011, 03:05 AM

Didn't Kerry serve in Vietnam or something?

lacarnut
04-09-2011, 03:49 AM

Wrong Punk. Dirty Harry stated that it was more important to fund Planned Parenthood than it was to fund the troops. This is the mindset of many in the Democratic Party. You have to have a few screws loose to believe that.

Kay
04-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Didn't Kerry serve in Vietnam or something?

Yeah....or something in Vietnam.

ironhorsedriver
04-09-2011, 10:43 AM

You seem to assume I'm a Republican, I'm not, I'm Conservative. I vote Republican 99% of the time, simply because they are more aligned with my views. And yes, I'm unhappy with the current GOP field, we need a Statesman, not a typical political hack.
Kerry, Bush, I looked at their positions and displayed traits. I did not like Kerry, period. I said the President, in order to be Commander in Chief, should have served. I did not say that made them the right man for the job. There are a whole lot of other qualifications that need to be met as well, unfortunately, your messiah meets none of them, and it shows.

Zathras
04-09-2011, 11:53 AM

Wow, you really emptied that pitcher of Kool Aid in one swallow, didn't you. Only a braindead lib would blame the averted shutdown on the GOP. You're right about one thing...it was a political maneuver that put this administration in this position. Except it was the Democrats, not the GOP, who pulled it. The Jackass party kept kicking the can down the road with the annual budget so they wouldn't get their asses kicked in the 2010 November elections even worse than they did due to the American people seeing the truth about where they were taking us debt wise.

AmPat
04-09-2011, 12:07 PM

Our "president" could have signed a simple spending order to pay the troops. Reagan did, Klintoon did. O Blah Blah did not.
GOP put up a budget plan, something the cowards from the left did not.
DIMS refuse to support cuts amounting to a drop in the ocean, passed by GOP in House.
DIMS refuse to support cuts amounting to a drop in the ocean, stalled by DIMS.
Now who again is responsible?:rolleyes:

AmPat
04-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Yeah....or something in Vietnam.

Well, he did say he was "reporting for duty." He probably meant the doody in his pants.