PDA

View Full Version : Wars And Rumors Of Wars..Matthew 24:6-7

megimoo
04-09-2011, 02:25 AM
Saudis ask U.S. for price quotes for warships

"And you shall hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places."

- Saudi Arabia has asked the United States for prices for surface warships with integrated air and missile defenses, helicopters, patrol craft and shore infrastructure, the U.S. Navy said on Friday. The Navy is preparing a rough cost estimate that would be delivered possibly as soon as May, Navy spokeswoman Captain Cate Mueller told Reuters. Saudi Arabia is the biggest U.S. arms buyer and is expected to remain so despite political upheaval in the Middle East. The request for medium surface...

http://www.forexyard.com/en/news/Saudis-ask-for-price-quotes-for-warships-2011-04-08T231124Z-US

malloc
04-09-2011, 02:59 AM
I don't like selling the Saudi's weapons tech, but so long as it's inferior tech with fail-safes against it being used against us, income is income.

This does bring up a couple of questions.

1.) Who are they seeing as a threat? Iran? General ME upheaval?

2.) Who are they going to get to man ships? If Saudi's are like Kuwaiti's, the don't work. They just pay Indians and Asians to do all the work. I'm not sure I'd trust my coastal defense to the Middle Eastern equivalent of Home Depot day laborers.

megimoo
04-09-2011, 03:45 AM
I don't like selling the Saudi's weapons tech, but so long as it's inferior tech with fail-safes against it being used against us, income is income.

This does bring up a couple of questions.

1.) Who are they seeing as a threat? Iran? General ME upheaval?

2.) Who are they going to get to man ships? If Saudi's are like Kuwaiti's, the don't work. They just pay Indians and Asians to do all the work. I'm not sure I'd trust my coastal defense to the Middle Eastern equivalent of Home Depot day laborers.

Saudi pilots flew F-15's against Iraq during the gulf wars and did quite well.We will obviously provide the training for their crews and if asked will provide crews of former experienced men either on a contract basis or as Mercenaries .

They fear Iran's Nuclear ambitions.Iran is turning into a regional power house when armed with conventional and Nuclear SRBM's will be able to dictate to the Saudi's and control their oil .An obvious showdown between Israel and Iran is coming and the Saudis need to be able to control their coastline and oil shipping against fast Iranian coastal attacks against their oil interests.
What they really need is a half dozen Nuclear attack submarines armed with Tomahawk cruse missiles and Mk 48's .We have a bunch and for the right money would sell them Los Angeles class fast attack boats with12 vertical launch Tomahawks.

malloc
04-09-2011, 05:00 AM
Saudi pilots flew F-15's against Iraq during the gulf wars and did quite well.We will obviously provide the training for their crews and if asked will provide crews of former experienced men either on a contract basis or as Mercenaries .

Oh yeah, I forgot about the pilots. That makes sense. For a moment there I was picturing a crew of barely trained Indian sailors patrolling the Gulf. It was quite a humorous vision.

They fear Iran's Nuclear ambitions.Iran is turning into a regional power house when armed with conventional and Nuclear SRBM's will be able to dictate to the Saudi's and control their oil .An obvious showdown between Israel and Iran is coming and the Saudis need to be able to control their coastline and oil shipping against fast Iranian coastal attacks against their oil interests.
What they really need is a half dozen Nuclear attack submarines armed with Tomahawk cruse missiles and Mk 48's .We have a bunch and for the right money would sell them Los Angeles class fast attack boats with12 vertical launch Tomahawks.

If we had a State Department with any sense, they would seize this opportunity to get the Saudi government a little more cozy with Israel. The enemy of my enemy and all that. I'm sure the Saudi's believe that kind of policy will only alienate themselves from the region and provoke Iran, but the reassurance of competent and steadfast U.S. support of Israel and those who side with Israel would go a long way toward swaying that opinion. If the U.S. were to undertake such a task, it would make headway towards more peaceful relations between Israel and it's Muslim neighbors. It would also make Hamas, Al Qaeda, The Muslim Brotherhood and other radical Muslim groups flip their lid. Too bad this administration is too incompetent to seize the opportunity, and too spiteful of Israel to even entertain the notion.

However, I don't think it's a good idea to be selling anyone nuclear submarines. Even our older models could be a viable threat to our Navy in the wrong hands, and they would be devastating to our shipping and merchant fleet in a full-scale war. I know they could buy nuclear subs elsewhere, but our subs have been ahead in the submerged stealth race since the 60's for a reason. I simply don't trust the Saudi's with that kind of hardware, and I certainly don't trust them not to sell one or two of them to China or other less than friendly countries, no matter what kind of treaty or contract we may come up with.