PDA

View Full Version : Feral chickens have proliferated in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina

megimoo
04-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Since Hurricane Katrina, Ruby Melton's 9th Ward enclave has welcomed a new species of neighbor: clucking, crowing, prancing chickens that dart across streets and nest in the trees.
Chickens of New Orleans Chickens of New Orleans Wild chickens roam the streets of many downtown New Orleans neighborhoods........ Watch video

"We don't have stray dogs any more," said Melton, 68. "But everyone I talk to has stray chickens."

Most people figure that the wild birds descended from domesticated fowl that escaped backyard coops after the storm. Since then, the population has boomed, with the local SPCA chapter now dispatching officers weekly to catch feral chickens, spokeswoman Katherine LeBlanc said.

Most calls hinge on neighbors' irritation with ear-piercing squawks, she said, rather than complaints about chicken droppings or attacks on pets or children. The birds don't appear to be fugitives from the growing number of New Orleans homesteaders who raise chickens for eggs and meat.

Animal control officers place the stray chickens with a farmer they call the Chicken Man, LeBlanc said, noting that capturing the creatures is "extremely hard" and often requires the effort of several officers.

http://www.nola.com/pets/index.ssf/2011/04/feral_chickens_have_proliferat.html

Rockntractor
04-11-2011, 09:50 PM
They giving out to many dem food stamps!

Calypso Jones
04-11-2011, 10:27 PM
are they a threat to pets yet?

fettpett
04-11-2011, 10:29 PM
well Chicago shouldn't have an issue, not with all the Coyotes

Articulate_Ape
04-11-2011, 10:33 PM
I thought feral chickens were food stamps -- that can run. :confused:

Rockntractor
04-11-2011, 10:37 PM
are they a threat to pets yet?

Pet's eat chickens, that's why we don't like those danged city people moving out in the country!:mad::rolleyes:

lacarnut
04-11-2011, 10:44 PM
I thought feral chickens were food stamps -- that can run. :confused:

Too much work to clean and cook it when they can go buy their fried chicken with food stamps. When I was a little boy my dad would buy a live chicken, kill it, clean it and mother would cook it.