PDA

View Full Version : Japan nuke crisis on par with Chernobyl

namvet
04-12-2011, 10:21 AM
http://oi56.tinypic.com/724odh.jpg

Japan raised the crisis level at its crippled nuclear plant Tuesday to a severity on par with the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, citing high overall radiation leaks that have contaminated the air, tap water, vegetables and seawater.

Japanese nuclear regulators said they raised the rating from 5 to 7 -- the highest level on an international scale of nuclear accidents overseen by the International Atomic Energy Agency -- after new assessments of radiation leaks from the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant since it was disabled by the March 11 tsunami.

FOX (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/04/11/reports-japan-decides-raise-nuclear-crisis-alert-level-7-highest-equal/#)

from bad to worse. I heard almost all sea food restaurants nationwide have been testing for contamination for some time now.

nightflight
04-12-2011, 11:06 AM
How many people have actually died from radiation in Japan compared to Chernobyl?

namvet
04-12-2011, 11:14 AM
How many people have actually died from radiation in Japan compared to Chernobyl?

short or long term??? the count in Japan is still rising

KhrushchevsShoe
04-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Its not as bad as Chernobyl as I dont think the Japanese have the same contempt for human life as the Soviets did.

In related news: Today marks the 50th anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's being the first person to return to Earth from space safely after at least 5 or 6 people died miserable deaths before him and had it covered up. Disaster scales should honestly just have the highest rating reserved for horrible Soviet bungling, if this nuclear accident scale is out of 7 the highest should now be a 6.

Nubs
04-12-2011, 05:01 PM
It appears 1 reactor did breach containment, several pools of spent rods ran dry, the other 3 reactors were out of control. So if you rate the 4 reactors and spent rod pools on a 1-7. You get a 7/6/6/5/6, you have a combined total of 30 compared to the single reactor event at Chernobyl, which was a 7.

SarasotaRepub
04-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Dammit...I want Godzilla and I want him NOW!!!! :D