PDA

View Full Version : " Sen. Dick Durbin ,D-Ill Want's To Tax The Internet !"...

megimoo
04-12-2011, 04:13 PM
A Democratic senator is preparing to introduce legislation that aims to end the golden era of tax-free Internet shopping.

The proposal--expected to be made public soon after Tax Day--would rewrite the ground rules for Internet and mail order sales by eliminating the ability of Americans to shop at Web sites like Amazon.com and Overstock.com without paying state sales taxes.

Dick Durbin of Illinois, the second most senior Senate Democrat, will introduce the bill after the Easter recess, a Democratic aide told CNET.

"Why should out-of-state companies that sell their products online have an unfair advantage over Main Street bricks-and-mortar businesses?" Durbin said in a speech in Collinsville, Ill., in February. "Out-of-state companies that aren't paying their fair share of taxes are sticking Illinois residents and businesses with the tab."

At the moment, Americans who shop over the Internet from out-of-state vendors aren't always required to pay sales taxes at the time of purchase. Californians buying books from Amazon.com or cameras from Manhattan's B&H Photo, for example, won't pay the sales taxes at checkout time that they would if shopping at a local mall--which is what Durbin means by giving online retailers an "unfair advantage."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20052999-281.html

KhrushchevsShoe
04-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Ya I've been hearing about this, I mean you already do kinda pay a tax (shipping) when you buy crap off the internet. Newegg is already such a great deal though, I cannt be deterred.

lacarnut
04-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Most people buy off the internet because prices are lower and for the convenience. Sales tax on big ticket items usually is not a consideration because shipping charges eat up most of the exempted sales tax that would have been charged.

I assume dumb ass Durbin thinks that the Supreme Court is going to reverse it's earlier rulings that tangible personal property sold in interstate commerce is not taxable unless the company has nexus in the state the goods are delivered to.

Bailey
04-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Why does the Governments answer to everything is a tax? How about cutting spending first then wll get back to you.

Madisonian
04-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Why does the Governments answer to everything is a tax? How about cutting spending first then wll get back to you.

Be careful... That turnip truck you fell out of is starting to back up...:D

fettpett
04-12-2011, 08:08 PM
man Durbin is a moron, he hasn't learned from his home states bullshit

fatwallet.com left Rockford, IL on live TV for Beloit, WI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h29I-XoIIh8&feature=player_embedded#at=18

the same thing will happen to the US

SaintLouieWoman
04-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Durbin never saw a tax he didn't like. Folks who lived in Illinois usually came across the river to Missouri in my area to gas up their cars, shop, buy cigarettes, etc. The Illinois taxes were outrageous. Their roads were terrible.