PDA

View Full Version : HOLD EVERYTHING: There's No Budget Deal, And The Government May Still Shut Down

megimoo
04-12-2011, 05:08 PM
On Friday, The White House and the GOP came to a budget agreement to fund the government for the rest of Fiscal Year 2011, averting a government shutdown. But they didn't actually vote on the deal.

They voted on a 1-week continuing resolution so they could wrangle up the details for an official vote this week. And that might not work out. The buzz out of DC is that the number of GOPers who will vote "no" is growing.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-budget-deal-may-fall-apart-2011-4

Arroyo_Doble
04-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Let them vote no, then. It is only in someone's imagination that all Republicans have to vote for a bill in order for it to pass.

Madisonian
04-12-2011, 05:14 PM
We can only hope.
I think the main reason that Bonehead and the rest of the Rebublirinos are afraid of the government shutting down is because the people will finally start to see how much of it is really unnecessary.

Articulate_Ape
04-12-2011, 05:17 PM
We can only hope.
I think the main reason that Bonehead and the rest of the Rebublirinos are afraid of the government shutting down is because the people will finally start to see how much of it is really unnecessary.

That is so true.

Rockntractor
04-12-2011, 06:19 PM
I was for it before I was against it!

djones520
04-12-2011, 06:47 PM
We can only hope.

Nevermind the nearly 2 million service members who stop getting paid. Don't worry, I don't have any bills to pay or children to feed. It's no big deal. :rolleyes:

djones520
04-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Right now, I say fuck it. Get something passed so I can keep feeding my family. We want to make some cuts, then get it in the 2012 budget. There is time to work that out then, but we are at the point right now where nearly 200,000 deployed service members are going to be going into harms way without a pay check, worrying how their families are going to get by.

CueSi
04-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Right now, I say fuck it. Get something passed so I can keep feeding my family. We want to make some cuts, then get it in the 2012 budget. There is time to work that out then, but we are at the point right now where nearly 200,000 deployed service members are going to be going into harms way without a pay check, worrying how their families are going to get by.

And according to my Big Book of How Shit Goes Down, that is two parts of "How Shit Hits the Fan, 101".

~QC

Madisonian
04-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Nevermind the nearly 2 million service members who stop getting paid. Don't worry, I don't have any bills to pay or children to feed. It's no big deal. :rolleyes:

I would highly doubt that even Obama is stupid enough to hold up military pay. They may use that as a threat against the RINOcans but I can't see any politihack that wants to keep their job come election time start messing with the military particularly with Obama's recent actions with Libya.

Odysseus
04-12-2011, 07:12 PM
We can only hope.
No, they are afraid of a repeat of '95, when the Democrats demagogued the issue with the help of the press and made Gingrich into a caricature of villainy. It won't happen this time, for a number of reasons, but Boehner and the rest of the leadership doesn't understand the sea change that's occurred since then.

We've have three government shutdowns in my lifetime, two under Reagan, one under Clinton, and in all three, the armed forces were paid. The difference is that in those cases, the POTUS issued executive orders directing the Secretary of the Treasury to issue paychecks to the military. In this case, Obama has ordered the Secretary of the Treasury not to pay the military. The shutdown is only supposed to effect non-essential (i.e., unnecessary) federal employees. The military is essential, but don't tell Obama that.

CueSi
04-12-2011, 07:20 PM
No, they are afraid of a repeat of '95, when the Democrats demagogued the issue with the help of the press and made Gingrich into a caricature of villainy. It won't happen this time, for a number of reasons, but Boehner and the rest of the leadership doesn't understand the sea change that's occurred since then.

We've have three government shutdowns in my lifetime, two under Reagan, one under Clinton, and in all three, the armed forces were paid. The difference is that in those cases, the POTUS issued executive orders directing the Secretary of the Treasury to issue paychecks to the military. In this case, Obama has ordered the Secretary of the Treasury not to pay the military. The shutdown is only supposed to effect non-essential (i.e., unnecessary) federal employees. The military is essential, but don't tell Obama that.

http://media.scout.com/media/forums/emoticons/168/srsly.jpg

~QC