PDA

View Full Version : NASA announces new homes for retiring space shuttles

SarasotaRepub
04-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Los Angeles (CNN) -- NASA announced Tuesday the new retirement homes for the four remaining space shuttles -- three historic orbiters and the program's test vehicle.

The space shuttle Atlantis will be displayed at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex in Florida; the Endeavour, at the California Science Center in Los Angeles; the Discovery, at the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Virginia; and the test shuttle, Enterprise, at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York, NASA Administrator Charles F. Bolden Jr. said during a ceremony at the Kennedy Center.

The announcement was made on the 30th anniversary of the space shuttle program's first flight, made by the subsequently ill-fated Columbia orbiter, and the 50th anniversary of Soviet Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin becoming the first human in space.

Good choices... (http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/04/12/space.shuttle.new.homes/index.html?hpt=T1) :)

fettpett
04-12-2011, 10:06 PM
for once I'd like to see something like that in the midwest, seems to be the most forgotten area of the country. :(

CueSi
04-12-2011, 10:09 PM
HOUSTON GOT SCREWED!!!!!

Space City, USA w/o a space shuttle? WTH is that?

~QC

malloc
04-12-2011, 10:27 PM
I was kind of hoping for one in Texas too, so I could take the kids to go see it. I don't mind going to Texas, I hate going to California. So if I want to take the kids to see one of the shuttles it's got to be Virginia or Florida because to me New York is more toxic than California.

MountainMan
04-13-2011, 01:35 AM
Good choices... (http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/04/12/space.shuttle.new.homes/index.html?hpt=T1) :)

Bullshit......Boeing has a great museum called "The Museum of Flight". We should have gotten on before fucking California.

KhrushchevsShoe
04-13-2011, 11:20 AM
I was sorta hoping the Adler Planetarium in Chicago got it, I know they were actively pursuing it.

Florida gets more preferential treatment from the federal government. In other news, the sun came up today.

djones520
04-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Bullshit......Boeing has a great museum called "The Museum of Flight". We should have gotten on before fucking California.

Tons of great museums would have done it justice. Unfortunately there was only 4 to go around.

fettpett
04-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Tons of great museums would have done it justice. Unfortunately there was only 4 to go around.

Smithsonian I understand, hell Kennedy I understand, but does New York need one? not like DC is far from there

Odysseus
04-13-2011, 01:26 PM
I was sorta hoping the Adler Planetarium in Chicago got it, I know they were actively pursuing it.

Florida gets more preferential treatment from the federal government. In other news, the sun came up today.
Florida got it because all of the Space Shuttle missions were launched from Kennedy Space Center.
Smithsonian I understand, hell Kennedy I understand, but does New York need one? not like DC is far from there
Houston has a long association with the Shuttle program. It was the NASA teams in Houston and Huntsville that initiated the studies for the program and oversaw the research and development. New York's Intrepid would be a good fifth choice, but this really is a slap in the face for Houston, and even if the decision isn't political, it looks like it was.

CueSi
04-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Florida got it because all of the Space Shuttle missions were launched from Kennedy Space Center.
Houston has a long association with the Shuttle program. It was the NASA teams in Houston and Huntsville that initiated the studies for the program and oversaw the research and development. New York's Intrepid would be a good fifth choice, but this really is a slap in the face for Houston, and even if the decision isn't political, it looks like it was.

Most in Houston believe it's political. I admit I kinda am leaning toward that conclusion. John Cornyn pretty much said it here (http://cornyn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=NewsReleases&ContentRecord_id=aed3cf2c-d919-4a73-88d9-29733f368bda):

“Like many Texans, I am disappointed with NASA’s decision to slight the Johnson Space Center as a permanent home for one of the Space Shuttle Orbiters. Houston has played a critical role throughout the life of the space shuttle, but it is clear political favors trumped common sense and fairness in the selection of the final locations for the orbiter fleet.
“There is no question Houston should have been selected as a final home for one of the orbiters—even Administrator Bolden stated as much. Today’s announcement is an affront to the thousands of dedicated men and women at Johnson Space Center, the greater Houston community and the State of Texas, and I’m deeply disappointed with the Administration’s misguided decision.”

~QC

fettpett
04-13-2011, 02:20 PM

Oh, I agree, Houston should have gotten one for sure, just pissed that Chicago or Indy couldn't get something like this. Since Chicago is the home of Boeing and they built a large part of the Shuttles.

NJCardFan
04-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Yes, Houston got screwed royally.