PDA

View Full Version : Fired workers say Chipotle was soft on immigration

Gingersnap
04-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Fired workers say Chipotle was soft on immigration
Reuters

http://i51.tinypic.com/157btkx.jpg
A Chipotle Mexican Grill restaurant is seen in Redlands Reuters – Women walk into a Chipotle Mexican Grill restaurant in Redlands, California, February 9, 2011. REUTERS/Lucy …

By Lisa Baertlein and Mary Milliken Lisa Baertlein And Mary Milliken – Wed Apr 13, 1:05 am ET

MINNEAPOLIS/WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The hundreds of illegal immigrants recently fired from fast-growing burrito chain Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc had a pretty good run when it came to job security. Not only did some get jobs with fake Social Security numbers and few questions about their immigration status, in some cases they actually told managers point-blank their papers were no good. And they often stayed on for years. Marta, an undocumented worker from Mexico, twice used false Social Security numbers to secure positions at the chain now being audited by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

She was hired with one false Social Security number in 2003 and rehired as a new employee a few years later under a different name with new, but still fake, number. The second hire, in 2006, came after Marta told her bosses she needed to change her Social Security number because it belonged to someone else and had caused her mortgage application to fail. "I thank them (for rehiring me) because I was about to lose my job," said Marta, who was finally fired last winter for false documents along with about 450 more of Chipotle's 1,200 Minnesota workers. She asked that her full name not be used for fear of deportation.

Now facing more audits in Washington D.C. and Virgina, Chipotle has become the best-known company in the sights of ICE. Its audit-related firings, including dozens in Washington, are no minor staffing issue. The 26,500-strong company says it takes the audits, the outcomes and the law very seriously. But Reuters has interviewed eight former employees, most of whom speak fondly of their time at the company, who say Chipotle's management ignored signs that called workers' immigration status into question. The Denver-based company's woes underscore the challenges employers face with a broken U.S. immigration system. Penalties for non-compliance are paltry and many employers are unable or unwilling to make the effort to ferret out undocumented workers, for whom low-wage jobs are a ticket to a better life.

Analysts want to know how deep the problem runs at Chipotle because massive turnover could raise its labor costs and may threaten its stellar stock. Chipotle defends its hiring practices and said in an email statement: "We never knowingly hire any employee that is not legally eligible to work in this country and, if we receive any credible information questioning the status of an employee, we look into that and take appropriate action."

The company known for its motto "Food With Integrity" is more exposed than other chains because it owns all of its 1,100 U.S. eateries, instead of selling outlets to franchisees as many rivals do. It won't say how many workers it has fired outside Minnesota due to the audits, or whether the hiring of undocumented workers has been limited to audit markets.

Yahoo (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110413/us_nm/us_chipotle)

Arroyo_Doble
04-13-2011, 11:10 AM
I thought McDonalds had bought them.

djones520
04-13-2011, 11:23 AM
I always knew Q'doba was better.

fettpett
04-13-2011, 11:32 AM

they are awesome, never been to Chipolte

noonwitch
04-13-2011, 11:40 AM

Baja Fresh is pretty good, too. They give you free chips and salsa with your meal. Q'doba doesn't, although they are closer to my house and I like some of their food, too.

Chipotle is new to metro Detroit and I haven't been to one yet. My brother, who lives in Columbus, loves their food. There isn't one near my house or office.

Novaheart
04-13-2011, 11:42 AM
http://www.baynews9.com/article/news/2011/april/230448/Proposed-regulations-may-mean-more-costs-for-farms-and-consumers

Florida farmers crying poor if they have to use legal labor.

http://www.baynews9.com/article/news/2011/april/230448/Proposed-regulations-may-mean-more-costs-for-farms-and-consumers

Mind you, they don't even try to use legal labor, and haven't in decades, so they don't really know whether they could get workers or not.

Gingersnap
04-13-2011, 11:46 AM
I'd boycott them until they cleaned up their act in terms of unofficial labor policies but I never eat there. :(

Novaheart
04-13-2011, 11:54 AM
I'd boycott them until they cleaned up their act in terms of unofficial labor policies but I never eat there. :(

I feel the same way about Outback and a dozen other useless and boring concepts. Why don't people support family owned businesses instead of these cookie cutter corporate grease pits?

Gingersnap
04-13-2011, 11:59 AM
I feel the same way about Outback and a dozen other useless and boring concepts. Why don't people support family owned businesses instead of these cookie cutter corporate grease pits?

Mr. Snaps is not a fan of chains so we seldom eat in any. He's also a huge supporter of local small businesses. :)

Arroyo_Doble
04-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Why don't people support family owned businesses instead of these cookie cutter corporate grease pits?

Because if they did, they would morph into cookie cutter corporate grease pits.

Odysseus
04-13-2011, 06:45 PM
I thought McDonalds had bought them.
The chain or the illegals?

Because if they did, they would morph into cookie cutter corporate grease pits.

LOL

SaintLouieWoman
04-13-2011, 07:24 PM

I totally agree with you. I don't like the food in most of the chains and think the money spent should stay local. I follow the same practices whenever possible with our purchase of our groceries, particulary produce.

malloc
04-13-2011, 07:26 PM
The second hire, in 2006, came after Marta told her bosses she needed to change her Social Security number because it belonged to someone else and had caused her mortgage application to fail.

Well, that should be alarming. "Yeah, the guy whose identity I stole doesn't have good enough credit to buy a house, so I need to borrow someone else's identity."

WTF?

KhrushchevsShoe
04-13-2011, 07:51 PM
They may be illegals, but you cant deny the tastiness of those burritos.

fettpett
04-13-2011, 08:01 PM

Mr. Snaps is not a fan of chains so we seldom eat in any. He's also a huge supporter of local small businesses. :)

you guys know that the 90% of all those stores are locally owned? Thats the point of Franchising, they have to stay in the corporate template, but outside that most of the money does stay in the community.

now, that doesn't mean that their food is the best or they aren't grease pits

Zathras
04-14-2011, 02:28 AM
you guys know that the 90% of all those stores are locally owned? Thats the point of Franchising, they have to stay in the corporate template, but outside that most of the money does stay in the community.

now, that doesn't mean that their food is the best or they aren't grease pits

Also with Outback, they do a lot for the troops as well. And they make a pretty good steak as well.

txradioguy
04-14-2011, 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by Novaheart

There's still "family owned" restraunts? LOL!

I'm only being partially sarcastic with that question.

The chain restraunts these days are the only ones that can adhere to all of the federally mandated meddling ad still turn a profit.

txradioguy
04-14-2011, 03:39 AM
Well, that should be alarming. "Yeah, the guy whose identity I stole doesn't have good enough credit to buy a house, so I need to borrow someone else's identity."

WTF?

Just shows how backwards the country is becoming when the fear of being labelled a racist over rides your brain telling you that "this person needs to be reported for illegal activity".

Gingersnap
04-14-2011, 11:32 AM

Chipolte started in Denver and as far as I'm aware, every single outlet is owned by the corporation. There are no Chipolte franchises. ;)

fettpett
04-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Chipolte started in Denver and as far as I'm aware, every single outlet is owned by the corporation. There are no Chipolte franchises. ;)

:p I was referring to the majority of Chain restaurants, McDonald's, BK, Subway, Applebee's, etc

Novaheart
04-14-2011, 12:52 PM
There's still "family owned" restraunts? LOL!

I'm only being partially sarcastic with that question.

The chain restraunts these days are the only ones that can adhere to all of the federally mandated meddling ad still turn a profit.

Is there no line of Glenn Beck's bullshit you won't buy into?

Odysseus
04-14-2011, 04:12 PM
They may be illegals, but you cant deny the tastiness of those burritos.
They aren't bad with some of the tabasco or chipotle sauces, and they have a good selection of those.

It's not just Beck who says that. One of the reasons that large corporations get on board with expanded government is that government policies that complicate business models raise the bar for market entry. For example, VW found a niche market for people who couldn't afford the larger American cars that dominated the US market by introducing a stripped down, simple vehicle that met the basic requirements for transportation and could be produced and maintained cheaply and easily. GM, Ford and Chrysler never forgot the Beetle, and have since supported all sorts of federal mandates, such as emissions standards, mileage requirements and the like, which result in increasing complexity in automobile manufacturing. Only relatively mature economies can compete, which kept cars from India or China out of the US market for a while, and no new American manufacturers have tried to enter the auto market since DeLorean.

txradioguy
04-14-2011, 04:24 PM

Have no clue to what you are talking about.

Don't listen to Beck. Don't buy his books. Never watched his TV show on CNN or Fox.

If there was a point you were trying to make you failed...again...rather miserably.

Now if you'd actually like to try and dissect what I said...please be my guest.

Arroyo_Doble
04-14-2011, 04:53 PM
It's not just Beck who says that. One of the reasons that large corporations get on board with expanded government is that government policies that complicate business models raise the bar for market entry. For example, VW found a niche market for people who couldn't afford the larger American cars that dominated the US market by introducing a stripped down, simple vehicle that met the basic requirements for transportation and could be produced and maintained cheaply and easily. GM, Ford and Chrysler never forgot the Beetle, and have since supported all sorts of federal mandates, such as emissions standards, mileage requirements and the like, which result in increasing complexity in automobile manufacturing. Only relatively mature economies can compete, which kept cars from India or China out of the US market for a while, and no new American manufacturers have tried to enter the auto market since DeLorean.

Michael Pollan also talks about something similar in The Omnivore's Dilemma where in the food industry, the safety requirements dealing with inspectors make it difficult for small slaughterhouses to operate.

But that is a hippie book so I'm not sure it counts.