PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Parents Run Out Of Speed For Kiddies

Gingersnap
04-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Shortage of ADHD drugs sends parents scrambling
Manufacturing delays, heavy demand for Adderall, Ritalin could have serious consequences

Molly Taylor, 46, of Worcester, Mass., was turned away empty-handed this week when she went to pick up prescriptions of Adderall XR for herself and her 16-year-old son, Luke.

“They don’t have them,” an incredulous Taylor told msnbc.com. “You could be waiting several days, which would have a HUGE impact. If you can’t get it that day, it’s very, very difficult.”

In the past two weeks, federal Food and Drug Administration officials added the drugs methylphenidate hydrochloride and amphetamine mixed salts, the generic names for Ritalin and Adderall, to an expanding list of national drug shortages. Some distributors cite manufacturing delays and increased demand as the reasons; others offer no explanation for the shortages.

But the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, which tracks drug supply issues, has listed the products in short supply for nearly a month, and there have been regional reports of spotty shortages even before that.

MSNBC (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/42577775/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/)

pyackog
04-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Wow. Looks like some parents will have to resort to, well, parenting now.

Rockntractor
04-15-2011, 12:25 PM
They make it in their back yards around here.:confused:

fettpett
04-15-2011, 02:45 PM
I feel bad for the people who generally need it, the people that are taking it simply because they don't want to deal with healthy kids can learn to deal with them

noonwitch
04-18-2011, 08:53 AM
I feel bad for the people who generally need it, the people that are taking it simply because they don't want to deal with healthy kids can learn to deal with them

Little League and Scouting are much cheaper than Adderall or Ritalin, for the second category of kids.

PoliCon
04-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Little League and Scouting are much cheaper than Adderall or Ritalin, for the second category of kids. They would be if the parents actually paid for the drugs themselves out of pocket.

linda22003
04-18-2011, 10:02 AM
As PJ O'Rourke diagnosed: "Hyperactivity is an affliction that affects one out of every one modern child." :p

Constitutionally Speaking
04-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Little League and Scouting are much cheaper than Adderall or Ritalin, for the second category of kids.

And that second category is FAR larger than the first.

lacarnut
04-18-2011, 05:24 PM

You hit the nail on the head. Giving kids that shit was unheard of when I was a kid. Of course, you have so many loser parents that turn their kids into loser kids.

noonwitch
04-19-2011, 08:44 AM
You hit the nail on the head. Giving kids that shit was unheard of when I was a kid. Of course, you have so many loser parents that turn their kids into loser kids.

When I was a delinquency worker, a lot of the boys I worked with who were petty criminals, but had a history of ADHD and being medicated for it did very well in the military after leaving our system. The military can teach them how to channel all that excess energy into something constructive.

AmPat
04-19-2011, 11:30 AM
When I was a delinquency worker, a lot of the boys I worked with who were petty criminals, but had a history of ADHD and being medicated for it did very well in the military after leaving our system. The military can teach them how to channel all that excess energy into something constructive.

You're getting there Noon. Won't be long and you'll be advocating work camps for lazy liberals.:D

noonwitch
04-19-2011, 01:26 PM
You're getting there Noon. Won't be long and you'll be advocating work camps for lazy liberals.:D

I've never been anti-military. I never planned to join up myself, but I've had too many relatives who served honorably to hate the military. My dad served in the Army in Korea, after the war, and my great-uncle was a Sea Bee in WWII, among others. One of my coworkers is in the Army Reserve and is on active service right now, and a lot of my coworkers have adult children actively serving.

Plus, I was a little kid in the 60s and the protests used to drive my dad crazy. He would tell us that even if the Vietnam War was wrong, it was the politicians' fault, not the soldiers'. Dad used to buy drinks for soldiers on leave, and gove them rides if they were hitching near a base.

PoliCon
04-19-2011, 09:17 PM

too bad we're not allowed to do that at school anymore. :(