PDA

View Full Version : Worst Books Ever!

DarkScribe
06-07-2008, 08:02 AM
I was starting a book by one of my favorite guilty pleasure authors (The Lake by Richard Laymon) and it got me thinking about books I've actually put down because they were that awful. Over the years I've been criticized by You-Know-Who because I'm too soft on books, especially authors I like...and I was wondering if any of my fellow CU Book Nerds have ever started reading a book that was so awful you just had to put it down, and never to pick it back up again.

I've had two books over the past 10+ years that I can think of....fairly obscure novels that quite honestly just sucked. Wake Up Screaming by Vince Courtenay (not poorly written but the plot moved like sludge and had way too many horror cliches for me to keep reading...I gave up 100 pages or so into it) and more recently a book called Alone in the Dark (I think the title is right) by Sephira Giron. This book COULD HAVE been very entertaining but ended up plodding along, going nowhere after 80+ pages and I gave up.

LibraryLady
06-07-2008, 08:34 AM
Poison wood Bible
Poison wood Bible
Poison wood Bible
Poison wood Bible
Poison wood Bible
Poison wood Bible

and plenty of other "Oprah" selections.

Gingersnap
06-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Anything by Suzy McKee Charnas, the woman who brought us horse sex as a feminist plot device. That horror guy....Hautala? He sucks. Most things by Poppy Z. Brite. Most things by King since he sobered up (exceptions - Desperation). All works by Alice Walker.

It's a long list but I can honestly say that it began with Dahlgren by Delany. I did finish that epic failure but I would have stopped reading within 20 pages if it hadn't been part of a school assignment. :rolleyes:

megimoo
06-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Anything by Suzy McKee Charnas, the woman who brought us horse sex as a feminist plot device. That horror guy....Hautala? He sucks. Most things by Poppy Z. Brite. Most things by King since he sobered up (exceptions - Desperation). All works by Alice Walker.

It's a long list but I can honestly say that it began with Dahlgren by Delany. I did finish that epic failure but I would have stopped reading within 20 pages if it hadn't been part of a school assignment. :rolleyes:Forrest Gump,The Witching Hour,Red Storm Rising !

Shannon
06-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Forrest Gump !

Really? I never got around to reading the book.

Just for DS- False Memory by Koontz.:D I HATED that book.

Gingersnap
06-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Forrest Gump !

That was a book? I have managed to avoid the movie for years. Sally Field makes me wince.

ralph wiggum
06-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Not that I've actually read them, but I've been told that the "Bridges of Madison County" guy is a horrid writer. Robert James Waller? :confused:

megimoo
06-07-2008, 11:17 AM

Just for DS- False Memory by Koontz.:D I HATED that book.It's about a retarded guy who wet his pants in the Kennedy White House !

megimoo
06-07-2008, 11:23 AM
That was a book? I have managed to avoid the movie for years. Sally Field makes me wince.

Book reviews
'SOMETIMES THERE JUST AIN'T ENOUGH STONES' - Forrest Gump
Forrest Gump: the book of the movie
Category:Fiction; Movies

Bibliographic details: Forrest Gump, by Winston Groom.
London: Black Swan, 1994
ISBN 0-552-99609-2
A$14.95

Gingersnap
06-07-2008, 11:26 AM

Just for DS- False Memory by Koontz.:D I HATED that book.

I like Koontz but I can't make it through that book! I've tried maybe 5 times now. I don't even know what the problem is with it.

LibraryLady
06-07-2008, 11:30 AM

I read the book before I saw the movie (which I hated). I love Tom Hanks but "Life is like a box of chocolates" sounds ridiculous. Almost as bad as "Love means never having to say you're sorry".

ralph wiggum
06-07-2008, 11:36 AM
I read the book before I saw the movie (which I hated). I love Tom Hanks but "Life is like a box of chocolates" sounds ridiculous. Almost as bad as "Love means never having to say you're sorry".

The Algore book/movie!!! :eek: :D

Shannon
06-07-2008, 11:39 AM

I still watch Forrest Gump whenever it's on. I love that movie.:o

Gingersnap
06-07-2008, 11:41 AM

We're going to pretend you didn't say that.

ralph wiggum
06-07-2008, 11:41 AM

BAN HER!!!

Vepr
06-07-2008, 12:07 PM
The last time I put down a book was in junior high. I cannot remember the name of the book but it was about a fishing crew. The book got you really attached to the characters and then all of them die. I could not bring myself to read the last chapter (No it was not the perfect storm book).

Right now I am back to reading science fiction books. Right now I am reading the Gaunts Ghosts series. Grim warfare in the future as humans struggle to fend off various alien races and also struggle against their own oppresive regime. It is actually a decent series and I will always have a soft spot for science fiction and fantasy like The Hobbit etc.

CLibertarian
06-07-2008, 12:22 PM
I simply don't enjoy reading novels. I like a good story but, based upon the type of reading that I have done throughout my life, novels just become too laborious to enjoy. I'm used to reading scientific/technical papers, articles, and books. You have to thoroughly understand every phrase within a sentence before you move onto the next or the whole thing will not make much sense and you have to backtrack. This has been my style of reading for so long that I cannot shut it off for a novel. Since the novel is so laborious to read and isn't providing me with any truly tangible benefit of knowledge, I find it a waste of time. Since they usually aren't too long, news articles are OK.

To each their own, I guess.

Gingersnap
06-07-2008, 12:42 PM
I simply don't enjoy reading novels. I like a good story but, based upon the type of reading that I have done throughout my life, novels just become too laborious to enjoy. I'm used to reading scientific/technical papers, articles, and books. You have to thoroughly understand every phrase within a sentence before you move onto the next or the whole thing will not make much sense and you have to backtrack. This has been my style of reading for so long that I cannot shut it off for a novel. Since the novel is so laborious to read and isn't providing me with any truly tangible benefit of knowledge, I find it a waste of time. Since they usually aren't too long, news articles are OK.

Interesting point! I write research stuff and do technical writing. I find that I have to sort of switch off for novel reading. Even then, I backtrack a lot.

MrsSmith
06-07-2008, 03:11 PM

I liked the movie, also...haven't seen it for years. I read the book afterward, it totally sucked.

One very popular author I could never read is Robert Jordan. I don't know why, his books just don't "click" anywhere. They put me to sleep faster than a theology textbook. :o

Junebug68
06-07-2008, 04:20 PM
I like Koontz but I can't make it through that book! I've tried maybe 5 times now. I don't even know what the problem is with it.

I actually finished that one - it was just ok. I like the Odd Thomas books, I'm working on the new one now. I hated Next by Michael Chriten (spelled wrong, I know) which was odd because I usually like his books.

Edit: I read Forrest Gump, it was just ok. I remember liking another book by Winston Groom - Better Times than These - but it's been years and years since I read it so I may not like it now.

I read a lot of poetry, but I can't stand really long poems. Just say what you're going to say and be done with it already!

linda22003
06-07-2008, 04:29 PM
The last time I put down a book was in junior high. I cannot remember the name of the book but it was about a fishing crew. The book got you really attached to the characters and then all of them die.

Moby Dick? :p

My worst book entry is "The Satanic Verses" by Salman Rushdie. Its publication was the first time I remember a Muslim outcry in this country to ban a work, and many bookstores would not stock it. I went out of my way to buy it because some group was telling me what I COULDN'T read....

Then got it home and found it was, in fact, unreadable.

bijou
06-07-2008, 04:48 PM
I borrow quite a lot of books from the library and often take a risk on something new and then fail to finish it (those ones are more than balanced out by the unexpected treasures), but they are pretty unmemorable. The 'worst' list contains those book which were so bad they stick in the mind years later including:

Silas Marner
The Bluest Eye
Prayer for Owen Meaney
The Mayor of Casterbridge

linda22003
06-07-2008, 04:51 PM
I have a fifty page rule on books and a half hour rule on movies. If you don't like them at that point, cut your losses.

Lager
06-07-2008, 05:59 PM
"Lisey's Story" by Stephen King was the last book that I just put down and never finished. I don't have as much patience with books as I used to. I don't love everything King produces, but I usually finish anything of his that I start. This book just seemed like a bad copy of one of his earlier works without any feeling to it.

jendf
06-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Both of these I read through to the end, however, I found myself looking for sharp objects as I did this.

Beloved by Toni Morrison
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I've definitely put down books without finishing them. I just can't recall their titles. They were that memorable.

Gingersnap
06-07-2008, 07:46 PM
"Lisey's Story" by Stephen King was the last book that I just put down and never finished. I don't have as much patience with books as I used to. I don't love everything King produces, but I usually finish anything of his that I start. This book just seemed like a bad copy of one of his earlier works without any feeling to it.

When he's plowed, he's a genius. When he sobered up, he's just intensely wrong about all the numerous female characters he attempts to create. Desperation was excellent and the last books of the Dark Tower series were awesome. The Cell just vaguely passable.

Gingersnap
06-07-2008, 07:47 PM
I also have to state that like all normal people, I detest Toni Morrison.

DarkScribe
06-07-2008, 08:13 PM

Shannon made you say that, didn't she, Ginger, just to spite me?

You mentioned Poppy Z Brite...she writes great short stories and I really liked her ghostly, haunted house novel Drawing Blood...as for the rest of her stuff I have a hard time getting past all the gay sex...especially her novel, Exquisite Corpse, easily one of the most repulsive books ever...

DarkScribe
06-07-2008, 08:15 PM

Honestly, I enjoyed Lisey's Story more than I thought I would. I think mostly because of the fact that the story was more of a "writer's life" tale (albeit a weird one) and his relationship with his wife. I dunno. Not ashamed to say I really liked this book (and followed by a snarky reply from You-Know-Who shortly...).

megimoo
06-07-2008, 09:12 PM

You sound like an engineer ?

Ranger Rick
06-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Harry Potter, I could not get through any of the Harry Potter books, and I am normally a Scifi/Fantasy type guy. Of late more military Scifi.

DarkScribe
06-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Harry Potter, I could not get through any of the Harry Potter books, and I am normally a Scifi/Fantasy type guy. Of late more military Scifi.

Wow, really....you didn't like HP? I suppose. I haven't read ALL of them yet...but I will (have the last 2 to go). I am not a HP fanatic like some, but enjoy the stories. I don't read much SF/Fantasy but need to read Tolkien's LotR series, of course. I like Dune and Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series. And of course, Robert E. Howard's original Conan books.

LibraryLady
06-08-2008, 08:31 AM
You didn't like Harry Potter?

I don't read any fantasy, Sci Fi at all. I HATED LOTR although I slodged through the Hobbit. But I really enjoyed HP.

DarkScribe
06-08-2008, 09:11 AM
You didn't like Harry Potter?

I don't read any fantasy, Sci Fi at all. I HATED LOTR although I slodged through the Hobbit. But I really enjoyed HP.

I did read The Hobbit (a LONG time ago) and while I appreciated the general story, I REALLY couldn't stand all the silly songs...seemed a bit childish, to me.

noonwitch
06-09-2008, 09:00 AM
I've tried to read Love In The Time Of Cholera, and just can't get beyond the first few pages.

I have hated Wuthering Heights ever since my AP lit class in high school.

I like Toni Morrison and Alice Walker, though, or at least one book by each. I had to read TM's Tarbaby for a college lit class, and enjoyed it. The Color Purple is a really good novel, but I think the movie is better, in some ways, because Spielburg made it so.

biccat
06-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Right now I am back to reading science fiction books. Right now I am reading the Gaunts Ghosts series. Grim warfare in the future as humans struggle to fend off various alien races and also struggle against their own oppresive regime. It is actually a decent series and I will always have a soft spot for science fiction and fantasy like The Hobbit etc.
Heh, with a Black Templar avatar, I'm not surprised. I read through the recent Horus Heresy series, and it pretty much revitalized my hatred for the Imperium. Decent books, obviously geared to highlight the greatness of the Emperor, but very heavy on the pulp. Oh, and Descent of Angels is probably the most forshadow driven book ever.

I just finished the Chronicals of Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever. Good, but pales in comparison to other pure fantasy. Just started Innocent Mage, and so far it is pretty good.

As for books I've put down, they are fairly few and far between. Cujo was one, I just couldn't get involved. That pretty much ended my literary experience with Steven King. I just can't manage to pick up another book without feeling like I'm starting a marathon.

Sonnabend
06-09-2008, 09:44 AM
I did read The Hobbit (a LONG time ago) and while I appreciated the general story, I REALLY couldn't stand all the silly songs...seemed a bit childish, to me.Thats because it was written for children, you muddleheaded wombat. :p

LOTR was written for adults.

Who do I detest? Apart from Noam Chumpsky and his ilk...hmmm...any book with a blurb that starts "xxx..an ex CIA agent.." goes back on the shelf. I cant abide Mills and Boon or those sordid doctor / nurse romances...ew.

Stephen King was good once..now he's just another moonbat. Dean Kopopntz....slow to get into and takes forever to get to the point , John Saul...they all come back to "ancient evil"...booring. Robin Cook..conspiracies galore..yawn. Read one, read em all.....Virginia Andrews, blech.

Tried to read the Wheel of Time books..after the first I realised what we had was not a labour of love but more a love of labour...no thanks.

Junebug68
06-09-2008, 09:47 AM

Eeek! You didn't like HP? I love those books; I've lost count of how many times I've read them.

One book I really want/wanted to read is "All Quiet on the Western Front." I've started it several times but can never seem to get through it.

linda22003
06-09-2008, 11:54 AM
One book I really want/wanted to read is "All Quiet on the Western Front." I've started it several times but can never seem to get through it.

I read that one every few years - very carefully, because my copy is the first American edition. Try the film version, with Lew Ayres (1930).