PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Valor (Female this time)

Gingersnap
04-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Town duped by her story of service

* Article by: MARK BRUNSWICK , Star Tribune
* Updated: April 17, 2011 - 8:28 AM

She said she was hurt in Afghanistan. But she wasn't even in the military.

The town of Cass Lake embraced Elizabeth McKenzie last month when she arrived at the high school in her Army uniform for a welcome home ceremony.

Though she isn't a tribal member, the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe Honor Guard gave her a blanket and an eagle feather to honor her as a woman warrior for her service in Afghanistan. There was a tribal drum ceremony and a reception line. Accepting the town's gratitude, McKenzie talked about the close calls she'd had and a war injury that brought her home. She led the march in the high school gym, carrying the American flag, and the local newspaper documented the hero's return.

But none of it was true. The 20-year-old McKenzie was never injured in combat, had never been to Afghanistan, never been deployed anywhere. In fact, she's never been in the military.

Now the 2009 grad of Cass Lake High School has been cited for impersonating an officer, which in Minnesota includes the military. And the people of Cass Lake are trying to recover from feeling duped by their own good intentions.

"A lot of people feel bad, but in one way they can't blame themselves for having hope in somebody," said Zeb Hemsworth, the police chief of Pike Bay Township, who investigated the case. "Because having hope in somebody is a good thing."

Reached for comment, McKenzie replied through an e-mail on Saturday that she didn't want to discuss the situation.

Her hoax was elaborate, .......

Star Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/local/119982079.html)

Phillygirl
04-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Sad. Sounds like she's just screwed up and wanted the attention.

eagleexpress
04-19-2011, 08:32 PM
A huge attention whore:mad:

txradioguy
04-20-2011, 01:48 AM
I will never comprehend...nor have sympathy for...people that create valorous military service from whole cloth.

Odysseus
04-24-2011, 01:06 PM
I will never comprehend...nor have sympathy for...people that create valorous military service from whole cloth.

There was a similar story in Los Angeles a week ago, where a Chinese immigrant set up a fake recruiting center and charged other immigrants a fee for joining his unit. They thought that they were getting a faster track to citizenship. I just posted it to breaking news, but here's the link: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/apr/13/local/la-me-04-13-fake-army-20110413

txradioguy
04-24-2011, 02:38 PM
There was a similar story in Los Angeles a week ago, where a Chinese immigrant set up a fake recruiting center and charged other immigrants a fee for joining his unit. They thought that they were getting a faster track to citizenship. I just posted it to breaking news, but here's the link: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/apr/13/local/la-me-04-13-fake-army-20110413

Just got done reading that.

WTF is wrong with these people?