PDA

View Full Version : iPhone keeps record of everywhere you go

Gingersnap
04-20-2011, 11:31 AM
iPhone keeps record of everywhere you go

Privacy fears raised as researchers reveal file on iPhone that stores location coordinates and timestamps of owner's movements

* Charles Arthur
* guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 20 April 2011 14.06 BST

Security researchers have discovered that Apple's iPhone keeps track of where you go and saves every detail of it to a secret file on the device which is then copied to the owner's computer when the two are synchronised.

The file contains the latitude and longitude of the phone's recorded coordinates along with a timestamp, meaning that anyone who stole the phone or the computer could discover details about the owner's movements using a simple program.

For some phones, there could be almost a year's worth of data stored, as the recording of data seems to have started with Apple's iOS 4 update to the phone's operating system, released in June 2010.

"Apple has made it possible for almost anybody a jealous spouse, a private detective with access to your phone or computer to get detailed information about where you've been," said Pete Warden, one of the researchers.

Only the iPhone records the user's location in this way, say Warden and Alasdair Allan, the data scientists who discovered the file and are presenting their findings at the Where 2.0 conference in San Francisco on Wednesday. "Alasdair has looked for similar tracking code in [Google's] Android phones and couldn't find any," said Warden. "We haven't come across any instances of other phone manufacturers doing this."

:mad:
Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/20/iphone-tracking-prompts-privacy-fears)

linda22003
04-20-2011, 11:42 AM
I've known this for a long time, and how much can be gotten out of your phone even if disabled or supposedly destroyed. I will never have one of these.

fettpett
04-20-2011, 01:02 PM
and people wonder why I hate Apple

Arroyo_Doble
04-20-2011, 01:07 PM

iMe

Unique conformity.

fettpett
04-20-2011, 01:11 PM
iMe

Unique conformity.

lol

only Apple product I will ever buy is an Ipod

megimoo
04-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Cell phones are the greatest intrusion into your personal privacy there is.Every where you go every hour of the day or night people have instant access to you .Now we know that they can track your every movement past and present and even tap into your conversations.Apple is evil and always has been !

fettpett
04-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Cell phones are the greatest intrusion into your personal privacy there is.Every where you go every hour of the day or night people have instant access to you .Now we know that they can track your every movement past and present and even tap into your conversations.Apple is evil and always has been !

yeah, but the difference is that one can chose to have a cell or not, where Apple is doing this completely with out peoples knowledge

Kay
04-20-2011, 09:23 PM
I have an IPhone4. This doesn't bother me at all.

I'm sure Steve Job has better things to do than track my daily whereabouts.
If I'm ever abducted, it's good to know that someone can track me down
by my phone or laptop sync.

Unless you work for the CIA, mafia or some such and don't want your
whereabouts to be traced, what's the worry? :confused:

Rockntractor
04-20-2011, 09:24 PM

I saw what you did.:cool:

fettpett
04-20-2011, 09:29 PM

and this is the kind of attitude that allows companies like Apple and Google to get away with this kind of crap, it's not about whether they can do something, but whether they SHOULD be doing it without peoples consent. It's one thing if they came out and said, "Hey, we're going to add this feature, if you don't want it, here's how to turn it off". But they don't, they just throw it in and don't tell anyone even though they know that people go over their code with fine tooth combs looking for this kind of crap. It makes them look like the conniving sniveling little weasels they are.

PoliCon
04-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/20/iphone-tracking-prompts-privacy-fears)

most every cell phone does that unless you tell it not to.

PoliCon
04-20-2011, 09:33 PM

a little presumed guilt you're tossing out there kay?

Rockntractor
04-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Steve Jobs is the Antichrist, apples, forbidden fruit, Garden of Eden, great deceiver, Duh!:rolleyes:

PoliCon
04-20-2011, 09:48 PM
:rolleyes: everyone knows that Bill Gates is the antichrist. :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
04-20-2011, 10:22 PM
:rolleyes: everyone knows that Bill Gates is the antichrist. :rolleyes:

He is the false prophet.:rolleyes:

PoliCon
04-20-2011, 10:27 PM
He is the false prophet.:rolleyes:

PUL-eeze. Clearly the Gore-acle is the false prophet :rolleyes: and CLEARLY Michelle Obama is the beast. :rolleyes::D

fettpett
04-20-2011, 10:50 PM
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/34/3458.asp

Michigan: Police Search Cell Phones During Traffic Stops
ACLU seeks information on Michigan program that allows cops to download information from smart phones belonging to stopped motorists.

The Michigan State Police have a high-tech mobile forensics device that can be used to extract information from cell phones belonging to motorists stopped for minor traffic violations. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Michigan last Wednesday demanded that state officials stop stonewalling freedom of information requests for information on the program.

ACLU learned that the police had acquired the cell phone scanning devices and in August 2008 filed an official request for records on the program, including logs of how the devices were used. The state police responded by saying they would provide the information only in return for a payment of $544,680. The ACLU found the charge outrageous.

"Law enforcement officers are known, on occasion, to encourage citizens to cooperate if they have nothing to hide," ACLU staff attorney Mark P. Fancher wrote. "No less should be expected of law enforcement, and the Michigan State Police should be willing to assuage concerns that these powerful extraction devices are being used illegally by honoring our requests for cooperation and disclosure."

with Cops doing this crap, it wouldn't be hard for them to take info off your phone and ticket you for speeding when they weren't around based on GPS coordinates

Rockntractor
04-20-2011, 10:57 PM
PUL-eeze. Clearly the Gore-acle is the false prophet :rolleyes: and CLEARLY Michelle Obama is the beast. :rolleyes::D

My bad.:o

eagleexpress
04-21-2011, 01:03 AM
Can you imagine the outcome if the information fell into the wrong hands like a jealous spouse:eek:

jediab
04-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Can you imagine the outcome if the information fell into the wrong hands like a jealous spouse:eek:

Or sooner or later you know the info would be sold to marketers like other places do.

Kay
04-21-2011, 08:19 PM

Reason #352 that I am not married. ;)
No worries about that for me.

eagleexpress
04-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Lucky you I am so ready to kill mine this last week

hampshirebrit
04-22-2011, 03:10 PM

What a load of bollocks this story is.

FFS, it's in the GUARDIAN. Did you really expect anything else ?

Moral of the story? Don't lose your frakkin' phone. How simple can it be? :rolleyes:

Bailey
04-22-2011, 03:24 PM
My droid incredible beats a Iphone in most respects, the iphone is so behind the curve its not funny.

Getting a thunderbolt soon and selling my phone on ebay :)

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/04/21/htc-thunderbolt-outsells-verizon-iphone-4/#xdm_e=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.droid-life.com&xdm_c=default9102&xdm_p=1&f=droidlife&t=second_report_htc_thunderbolt_outsells_verizon_i phone_4

hampshirebrit
04-22-2011, 04:28 PM
My droid incredible beats a Iphone in most respects, the iphone is so behind the curve its not funny.

Getting a thunderbolt soon and selling my phone on ebay :)

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/04/21/htc-thunderbolt-outsells-verizon-iphone-4/#xdm_e=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.droid-life.com&xdm_c=default9102&xdm_p=1&f=droidlife&t=second_report_htc_thunderbolt_outsells_verizon_i phone_4

Mazel Tov with that. Hope it works out for you.

My iPad2 has just shipped, I've been told. In'sh'allah it will be with me by Tuesday.

My Mac-ness will shortly be complete, and I'll have all three.

JB
04-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Give me liberty...unless I own Apple.