PDA

View Full Version : Democrats Join Threat to Hold Up Debt Ceiling Vote Without Spending Cuts

txradioguy
04-21-2011, 03:01 PM
President Obama is starting to feel pressure from his own party to tie spending cuts to a vote to raise the debt limit, even as the administration expresses confidence that Congress will ultimately raise the cap.

The latest moderate Democrat to draw a line in the sand is Sen. Mark Pryor, D-Ark., who told members of a local political group Wednesday that he'll need to see a commitment to cut spending and overhaul the tax code in order to vote to raise the $14.3 trillion cap. The government is expected to reach that ceiling by mid-May.

"What I've told anyone who will listen to me in Washington, including my leadership, is that I'm not going to vote for that unless there is a real and meaningful commitment to debt reduction," Pryor told the Political Animals Club at its monthly meeting at the governor's mansion.

Pryor said he believed the upcoming vote on the debt limit would prove whether lawmakers in Washington have the political will to begin addressing government spending. Meanwhile, three Democrats and three Republicans in the Senate are trying to strike an agreement by early May that would call for spending cuts, as well as changes in the tax code, over the next decade.

Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner suggested in interviews last weekend that bipartisan congressional leaders have assured the White House they would vote to raise the limit absent a deficit-reduction agreement. Geithner described such an agreement as necessary, but argued that it should not be tied to the debt vote as the possibility of not raising the cap is too fraught with financial risk.

Republicans, though, continue to demand some semblance of a commitment to cut spending as a condition for their support. And a handful of Democrats have started to tiptoe over to their side.

After Obama outlined a deficit-reduction plan a week ago, Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., said he needs to make sure the government is not paying for a "blank check" with borrowed money.

"So let me also continue to be clear about my position on the debt ceiling," he said in a statement. "I strongly believe we must adopt a long-term, responsible and realistic fiscal plan that reflects our values and defines priorities, or I will vote against raising the debt ceiling."

Reps. Mike Ross, D-Ark., and Dan Boren, D-Okla., leaders of the fiscally conservative Blue Dog Coalition in the House, also suggested in an interview with Fox News two months ago that members of their group would balk at the vote unless they see "significant cuts."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/04/21/democratic-sen-pryor-debt-ceiling-hike-spending-tax-code-fixes/

fettpett
04-21-2011, 03:48 PM
These dems can talk all they want, but when it comes down to it, they wont vote but what their leadership tells them too

txradioguy
04-21-2011, 03:57 PM
These dems can talk all they want, but when it comes down to it, they wont vote but what their leadership tells them too

Or they will just buy them off like they did to get Obamacare passed.

fettpett
04-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Or they will just buy them off like they did to get Obamacare passed.

fake promises go a lot way dimocrats

lacarnut
04-21-2011, 04:02 PM

That sounds about right. Obama and the leadership will use union, community type action thuggery to twist their arms or face being blackballed.

Rockntractor
04-21-2011, 05:27 PM
This is all ridiculous, if they lower the spending to the levels needed there would be no reason to raise the ceiling.

PoliCon
04-21-2011, 05:35 PM
They need to roll back spending levels - rolling them back about 10 years would be a vast improvement.

Rockntractor
04-21-2011, 05:39 PM
They need to roll back spending levels - rolling them back about 10 years would be a vast improvement.

They need to roll back to whatever level is needed in order to not raise the ceiling.

PoliCon
04-21-2011, 05:39 PM
They need to roll back to whatever level is needed in order to not raise the ceiling.
Lets roll them back to 1995 levels then. :)

Madisonian
04-21-2011, 05:50 PM

And Boehner and the Republicrats will continue to blow smoke up our collective asses for a few days before they cave in yet again and then come out with some rhetorical horse shit about how not raising the debt ceiling... blah blah... financial markets...blah blah... investor confidence... blah blah...

Boehner and the boneheads have not stuck to one single monetary commitment since January of this year. What makes anyone think that there is even the remotest chance they will do it now?

txradioguy
04-21-2011, 05:52 PM
And Boehner and the Republicrats will continue to blow smoke up our collective asses for a few days before they cave in yet again and then come out with some rhetorical horse shit about how not raising the debt ceiling... blah blah... financial markets...blah blah... investor confidence... blah blah...

Boehner and the boneheads have not stuck to one single monetary commitment since January of this year. What makes anyone think that there is even the remotest chance they will do it now?

:rolleyes:

Rockntractor
04-21-2011, 05:55 PM
:rolleyes:

Come on Radioman, you can't honestly be happy with how they are handling things, I thought you told me you listened to Levin.

txradioguy
04-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Come on Radioman, you can't honestly be happy with how they are handling things, I thought you told me you listened to Levin.

I do. And they are at least trying to be serious about this mess in D.C.

Certainly more so than the Democrat Party.

What the :rolleyes: is for is his and a couple others on here that go around with this bullshit "one party isn't any different from the other lets throw them all out" crap.

Birchers...100%;ers what ever they are...they are just as bad for the political process of this country as the Libtards.

Boehner and the Republicans haven't even been in control of the House for 4 complete months and people like him are already bitching moaning and complaining.

They remind me of the DUmmies that started crying like babies the SECOND Obama or Reid or Pelosi didn't do exactly what THEY wanted the way THEY wanted it done.

It's childish.

rjas77
04-21-2011, 06:24 PM

What the :rolleyes: is for is his and a couple others on here that go around with this bullshit "one party isn't any different from the other lets throw them all out" crap.

Birchers...100%;ers what ever they are...they are just as bad for the political process of this country as the Libtards.

Boehner and the Republicans haven't even been in control of the House for 4 complete months and people like him are already bitching moaning and complaining.

They remind me of the DUmmies that started crying like babies the SECOND Obama or Reid or Pelosi didn't do exactly what THEY wanted the way THEY wanted it done.

It's childish.

Yup..Fact is The DEMS have the WH and the Senate and while the House CAN shut down the Government Obama has the Bully Pulpit and will use it and then we're really screwed.

If the Government shuts down what happens?
Will people still get their Welfare checks? Yup
Will people still get their Food Stamps? Yup

What people won't get will be

Parks opens
Museums
Military pay

Madisonian
04-21-2011, 06:28 PM

It's childish.

Because they aren't doing shit. They sing the same songs in a different key is all.
Its not that they did not do what I want, they are not doing what they promised.

Many of these are the same republicrats that spent every penny they could beg, borrow or taxably steal when Bush was in office. They run on budget cuts and reducing spending and its all bullshit and you know it is, you just won't admit it or want to believe it.

They could have held their ground on the 100 billion and caved. "but, but I might not get re-elected if I get blamed for shutting the government down" Well guess what Skippy I don't give a flying fuck if you get re-elected. Read the Constitution, grow a set and do your fucking job!

EPA - defund it.
DOE - defund it
DEA - defund it
DHS - defund it
HUD - defund it

If it isn't in the enumerated powers, defund it. That is their damn job and the oath they swore was to Protect and Defend the Constitution. Not to spend the country and the next 3 generations into oblivion.
We are over 14 trillion in debt. This was not a one party spending spree and anything less than spending less money than they take in is not acceptable anymore.

You can call me a Bircher (which I am not), or a 100%er (whatever that is) or whatever you want, but in that case, exactly what the hell are you?

fettpett
04-21-2011, 10:43 PM
I don't think Bononher was the guy they needed, Paul Ryan is, or someone similar. However it might be a bit of a political ploy that will backfire on them if they don't get their asses out of their collective asses. I think it's a ploy to show people that the Old Guard GOP is just as bad as the Dems, and it's time to kick them all out of office and replace them.

lacarnut
04-21-2011, 10:44 PM

Boehner and McConnell are not fighters. They believe in compromise. The Democrats have been stabbing them in the back for many years and they are too stupid to do anything about it. These limp dick Republicians need to go. Get fresh blood in there. If we win the Presidency and the Senate in 012, we need an aggressive balls to the wall type of Republician majority leaders in office that will do to Democrats what they have done to them. Let them railroad tax changes, health care, spending bills thru Congress. You have to vote on it to find out what is in it.

fettpett
04-21-2011, 10:47 PM
You can call me a Bircher (which I am not), or a 100%er (whatever that is) or whatever you want, but in that case, exactly what the hell are you?

I'm guessing that a 100%'er is someone doesn't want to compromise to get stuff done and wants 100% of everything that was promised without working them out with both sides.

CueSi
04-22-2011, 12:19 AM
I don't think Bononher was the guy they needed, Paul Ryan is, or someone similar. However it might be a bit of a political ploy that will backfire on them if they don't get their asses out of their collective asses. I think it's a ploy to show people that the Old Guard GOP is just as bad as the Dems, and it's time to kick them all out of office and replace them.

I told ya, they should have gone with the Jooooo or Ryan .

~QC

txradioguy
04-22-2011, 01:11 AM
Because they aren't doing shit. They sing the same songs in a different key is all.

And so do you. And you're very off key.

Its not that they did not do what I want, they are not doing what they promised.

Becuase when you only control one house of Congress you can do everything right?

The fact of the matter is they ARE trying to get things done. The Conservatives and Republicans in the House are the only adults int he room right now.

Many of these are the same republicrats that spent every penny they could beg, borrow or taxably steal when Bush was in office. They run on budget cuts and reducing spending and its all bullshit and you know it is, you just won't admit it or want to believe it.

So what exactly did you do to get someone elected to office that would change that?

Or did you just sit at your keyboard and bitch?

They could have held their ground on the 100 billion and caved. "but, but I might not get re-elected if I get blamed for shutting the government down" Well guess what Skippy I don't give a flying fuck if you get re-elected. Read the Constitution, grow a set and do your fucking job!

EPA - defund it.
DOE - defund it
DEA - defund it
DHS - defund it
HUD - defund it

And that would last until it hit the Senate and the Presidents desk.

Surely you're not really that clueless about how this all works are you?

Anything right now that the House did towards what you want would be symbolic and fleeting because as soon as it hit the Senate chamber it's DOA.

If it isn't in the enumerated powers, defund it. That is their damn job and the oath they swore was to Protect and Defend the Constitution. Not to spend the country and the next 3 generations into oblivion.
We are over 14 trillion in debt. This was not a one party spending spree and anything less than spending less money than they take in is not acceptable anymore.

It's so easy to to do from your keyboard isn't it? Dammit if they'd only listen to YOU it cold all be fixed.

100%'er = someone who wants the members of their claimed political party to do every damn thing YOU demand of them when YOU demand it of them or you're going to "punish them" by either voting for some third party no one has every heard of or just sit home and not vote. Either way the DNC thanks you for helping them. A 100%'er is also one of those that goes around proclaiming loudly and to anyone they can stop for more than two seconds that "there is no difference between the two parties lets throw them all out and start over!".

Any of that sound familiar to you? We mock it in the DUm forum but it has to hit kinda close to home for yo as well.

As for me I'm a realist. Conservative first Republican second but a realist about the process and what we can and can't get done in a logical workable time frame ALL the time.

Are the Republicans perfect? No far from it. And I have criticized them...as well as President Bush for things he did wrong in the past. That is well documented here and at CC.

And I believe we should hold their feet to the fire when necessary as well.

But dammit we've got to support them when they are right as well. Give them our praise when they are at least trying to get us back on course...especially when the Dems and the President seem so dead set on turning us into a third world country.

Hold them accountable but give them credit where credit is due as well.

txradioguy
04-22-2011, 01:18 AM
I'm guessing that a 100%'er is someone doesn't want to compromise to get stuff done and wants 100% of everything that was promised without working them out with both sides.

They are so dead set against compromise or even giving their party credit for even trying...or getting things accomplished in small increments...that they'd rather them be a permanent minority party in D.C. and the rest of the country than EVER agree with them or admit they've sone something...anything right.

100%'ers would have been perfectly happy to have me sitting here in Afghanistan right now without pay and Congress completely shut down than to have accepted what cuts we were able to get from the Democrats in Congress and the President who both started from the position of "no cuts period".

fettpett
04-22-2011, 09:42 AM
I told ya, they should have gone with the Jooooo or Ryan .

~QC

told me? hell I was right there with you saying the same thing. I can't stand Boehner as Speaker of the House, there were MUCH better men that would have done much better job.