PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis Lambert International Airport hit by tornado

djones520
04-23-2011, 08:16 AM
BREAKING NEWS

Lambert-St. Louis International Airport is closed indefinitely due to severe storm damage on Friday, April 22.

All departing and arriving flights are cancelled until further notice pending full safety assessments of Airport facilities.

Contact your airline for latest updates and options for all departing and arriving flights.

St. Louis City, St. Louis County and surrounding municipalities are actively assisting the Airport with cleanup efforts and safety review of all operations in and around the Airport complex.

You can also stay tuned to local media for further updates on the situation at Lambert.

http://www.lambert-stlouis.com/

This was from the Storm Prediction Center

AIR NATIONAL GUARD BUILDING DAMAGED ... AND STRUCTURAL DAMAGE TO BUILDINGS AT THE AIRPORT ... AND CARS FLIPPED

MAIN TERMINAL WINDOWS BLOWN OUT AT LAMBERT AIRPORT ... .ROOF OFF OF CONCOURSE C ... AND POWER OUTAGES

The weather channel is showing footage. That place got messed up.

djones520
04-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Just to add on this, St. Louis got WRECKED hard.

Local news stations are showing coverage. An entire neighborhood of well built houses were just completely levelled. I'll try to find pictures, but it's just horrible.

fettpett
04-23-2011, 08:45 AM
they know how big it was? from the damage i'd guess an F3

djones520
04-23-2011, 08:47 AM
they know how big it was? from the damage i'd guess an F3

F4 at least. Well built homes levelled. Car's thrown. F3's are expected to rip roofs off, things like that.

fettpett
04-23-2011, 08:54 AM
F4 at least. Well built homes levelled. Car's thrown. F3's are expected to rip roofs off, things like that.

i suppose a weatherman would know:cool:

Adam Wood
04-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Well, this is going to screw up my week next week. :(

SarasotaRepub
04-23-2011, 11:33 AM
SLW's sister is supposed to leave for Europe tomorrow out of STL...

djones520
04-23-2011, 11:35 AM
SLW's sister is supposed to leave for Europe tomorrow out of STL...

Operative word being supposed to. The main concourse had it's roof ripped off, and half the glass in the building was shattered. Looks like some of the gates were messed up as well.

SarasotaRepub
04-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Operative word being supposed to. The main concourse had it's roof ripped off, and half the glass in the building was shattered. Looks like some of the gates were messed up as well.

We just heard from them, they will have to fly out of Kansas City instead.

SaintLouieWoman
04-23-2011, 11:42 AM
http://www.stltoday.com/news/multimedia/videos/vmix_29e493f8-6dbb-11e0-b15f-001a4bcf6878.html

Link to video at airport with Mayor Slay and the St Louis County Executive at a joint news conference.

SaintLouieWoman
04-23-2011, 11:46 AM

My sis just told me that they had a call from American Airlines last night around midnight. They had an option to delay flight til Tuesday, when they "think" the airport might be open or to fly tomorrow from either KC or Chicago. They opted for KC as it is closer. They're renting a car to drive to KC, since their return flight is through Chicago. In case the airport still isn't open, they didn't want their car at a parking lot in KC.

SaintLouieWoman
04-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Just to add on this, St. Louis got WRECKED hard.

Local news stations are showing coverage. An entire neighborhood of well built houses were just completely levelled. I'll try to find pictures, but it's just horrible.

Was that neighborhood up in North County? I'm worried about my sons. One lives in far South County, the other in Town and Country, off Clayton Road.

Adam Wood
04-23-2011, 01:12 PM
My sis just told me that they had a call from American Airlines last night around midnight. They had an option to delay flight til Tuesday, when they "think" the airport might be open or to fly tomorrow from either KC or Chicago. They opted for KC as it is closer. They're renting a car to drive to KC, since their return flight is through Chicago. In case the airport still isn't open, they didn't want their car at a parking lot in KC.It may be too late for them, but why not just take Amtrak up to KC? There's a 4:00 train out of STL this afternoon that gets to KC tonight about 9:30. It will cost a lot less than renting a car, even with a hotel stay overnight. Depending upon their flight time tomorrow out of MCI, they may even be able to take a morning train tomorrow and avoid the hotel all together.

djones520
04-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Was that neighborhood up in North County? I'm worried about my sons. One lives in far South County, the other in Town and Country, off Clayton Road.

It was mostly along the border of St. Louis and St. Charles counties. Northern St. Louis all up by the Airport.

SaintLouieWoman
04-23-2011, 02:00 PM
It may be too late for them, but why not just take Amtrak up to KC? There's a 4:00 train out of STL this afternoon that gets to KC tonight about 9:30. It will cost a lot less than renting a car, even with a hotel stay overnight. Depending upon their flight time tomorrow out of MCI, they may even be able to take a morning train tomorrow and avoid the hotel all together.

Wish I had seen this sooner. They were heading out to pick up the rental car. The train would have been easier. My brother-in-law doesn't like to drive far.

They have travel insurance, so they're hoping that they can get the cost of the car and the hotel room reimbursed. She said if not, it's worth the cost as she didn't want to be so tired getting up and leaving tomorrow for KC by car at 4 am to catch their flight.

Adam Wood
04-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Wish I had seen this sooner. They were heading out to pick up the rental car. The train would have been easier. My brother-in-law doesn't like to drive far.

They have travel insurance, so they're hoping that they can get the cost of the car and the hotel room reimbursed. She said if not, it's worth the cost as she didn't want to be so tired getting up and leaving tomorrow for KC by car at 4 am to catch their flight.They may still be able to take back the rental car and just get charged for a couple of hours' worth of use on it. Worth a phone call, at the very least, to find out. They can just explain their situation and I would bet the rental car company would work with them. Rental car people do not like to do one-way rentals, because that's an asset driving away that they will likely never see again (which is why they're usually really expensive).

If you need some help, holler. I'll be happy to help out.