PDA

View Full Version : Linucks

fettpett
04-22-2011, 09:28 PM
The man i bought the OS from said he bought two copies from a supplier and both were bought as retail, he said he will notify his supplier and get back with me asap, I am positive this is a problem with Microsoft but he can argue with them, Paypal has notified him of a fraud claim so we will see what happens. In the mean time I put linux on it, which is what I am using at the moment to post this.

sucks, which distro are you using?

Rockntractor
04-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Fedora, I have sun, susi and red hat but I don't like them.

fettpett
04-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Fedora, I have sun, susi and red hat but I don't like them.

tried Ubuntu?

Rockntractor
04-22-2011, 10:20 PM
tried Ubuntu?

Last time I tried it it didn't have the drivers i needed to even load, I'm sure they have them now that's been two three years.
This fedora actually is loading pretty smoothly, it has an automatic updater and is downloading almost 500 of them right now.

Wei Wu Wei
04-22-2011, 10:24 PM
tried Ubuntu?

this really is the best bet in my opinion

Ubuntu is really great at automatically finding drivers and stuff

if you can get the initial installation down then the rest is smooth sailing.

i gave up on microsoft a long time ago and i don't have the money to buy Mac products

ubuntu has been serving me VERY well and it's totally free and so much easier to use.

fettpett
04-22-2011, 10:28 PM
haven't had a need for Linux in any capacity in 5ish years, Windows/MS hasn't given me any fits in years, do need to get RAM for my desktop though :-/

Rockntractor
04-22-2011, 10:35 PM
this really is the best bet in my opinion

Ubuntu is really great at automatically finding drivers and stuff

if you can get the initial installation down then the rest is smooth sailing.

i gave up on microsoft a long time ago and i don't have the money to buy Mac products

ubuntu has been serving me VERY well and it's totally free and so much easier to use.

Fanfrickentastic! I'm running trollware.:mad:

Wei Wu Wei
04-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Fanfrickentastic! I'm running trollware.:mad:

yeah well you're gonna get used to that smooth free trollware and never look back

NJCardFan
04-23-2011, 12:26 AM
Rock, hate to tell you this but when buying something off of Ebay it's caveat emptor. Microsoft has every right to tell you 'tough titty'. This is why I'm very, very leery of buying anything off of Ebay, especially software.

Articulate_Ape
04-23-2011, 02:48 AM
I think the important fact that is being overlooked in this thread is that Rock has been neglecting his manicurist.

Rockntractor
04-23-2011, 02:53 AM
I think the important fact that is being overlooked in this thread is that Rock has been neglecting his manicurist.

That there is Oklahoma crude oil under them nails!:D

malloc
04-23-2011, 03:02 AM
yeah well you're gonna get used to that smooth free trollware and never look back

Anyone interested in Linux should drop Ubunto, Gentoo, Fedora and checkout Foresight. I'm a (Linux) Systems Architect for the company I work for, so I do Linux all day, every day, from kernel to application frameworks.

Foresight is a distribution based on rPath Linux. rPath was founded by a bunch of guys who split off from Red Hat, including Cohen, the original designer/author of RPM. Foresight is unique in that it revolves around the next generation conary package manager instead of .deb, or RPM. The Conary package manager and rBuilder system is pretty bleeding edge when it comes to system management and automatic maintenance. rPath is now even offering Fedora, CentOS, RHEL & SUSE repackaged through it's Conary system, so the future of those distributions are probably going to move the conary model as well.

Conary is a highly automated system of building, storing, and installing software packages. It automatically resolves dependencies, and is much more specific than RPM's because each package is automatically broken up into components, so only needed components need to be installed. The technology is way too much to cover in a post, so if you are interested, look into it. Let's just say that as as a Linux administrator, I never thought I'd be able to upgrade an entire machine with one click, and know that it would "just work". For that matter, this time two years ago if you told me I could automatically re-provision a LAMP server into a database server by simply migrating the software that was installed on it from one group to another, I would have just laughed at it and called you crazy.

Rockntractor
04-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Anyone interested in Linux should drop Ubunto, Gentoo, Fedora and checkout Foresight. I'm a (Linux) Systems Architect for the company I work for, so I do Linux all day, every day, from kernel to application frameworks.

Okay, it is downloading, I have an empty partition I can put it on.

Articulate_Ape
04-23-2011, 12:19 PM

Foresight is a distribution based on rPath Linux. rPath was founded by a bunch of guys who split off from Red Hat, including Cohen, the original designer/author of RPM. Foresight is unique in that it revolves around the next generation conary package manager instead of .deb, or RPM. The Conary package manager and rBuilder system is pretty bleeding edge when it comes to system management and automatic maintenance. rPath is now even offering Fedora, CentOS, RHEL & SUSE repackaged through it's Conary system, so the future of those distributions are probably going to move the conary model as well.

Conary is a highly automated system of building, storing, and installing software packages. It automatically resolves dependencies, and is much more specific than RPM's because each package is automatically broken up into components, so only needed components need to be installed. The technology is way too much to cover in a post, so if you are interested, look into it. Let's just say that as as a Linux administrator, I never thought I'd be able to upgrade an entire machine with one click, and know that it would "just work". For that matter, this time two years ago if you told me I could automatically re-provision a LAMP server into a database server by simply migrating the software that was installed on it from one group to another, I would have just laughed at it and called you crazy.

By any chance do you have an English version of that post?

djones520
04-23-2011, 12:20 PM
By any chance do you have an English version of that post?

He's talking about Linux. It doesn't translate.

fettpett
04-23-2011, 07:38 PM
He's talking about Linux. It doesn't translate.

:D Linux is a foreign language to many that are into computers, let alone to the general public

Rockntractor
04-23-2011, 08:11 PM

It loaded fast but it won't let me use my wireless card, it says firmware missing, fedora didn't have trouble with that, what next?

malloc
04-23-2011, 09:01 PM
It loaded fast but it won't let me use my wireless card, it says firmware missing, fedora didn't have trouble with that, what next?

I've put this distro on a couple of netbooks and a few laptops and didn't have problems with the drivers. It all worked out of the box. If you can connect to the internet wired for a while, then install all the updates.

The CD's released by foresight are generally quite a bit behind what is latest on their release repositories. My first piece of advice would be to perform a full system update. If you can connect to the internet wired for a while, open a command prompt and run the following command.

sudo conary update all

That will kick off a massive update that should also update your kernel and all your drivers. Since this includes a kernel update, reboot to the new kernel once the update is run.

If that doesn't work, let me know what kind of wireless card it is, and I'll check with Foresight and see if they had any sort of extra driver packs that need to be installed.

malloc
04-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Also, once you install Foresight and you get logged into your Gnome desktop, you can click System -> Foresight User Guide.

In the guide there are walk throughs for setting up non-free video drivers for NVidia, Intel and ATI (which aren't redistributable without agreeing to a seperate EULA, which is why they aren't shipped with the base distro). There's also guides for setting up Compiz and other features.

Foresight also ships with ndiswrappers, which is a program that lets you use windows wireless card drivers to power wireless cards that don't have native linux drivers. However, there isn't a guide for that in the User's guide, so if you know how to use ndiswrappers that might be an option for you as well.

jawilljr
04-23-2011, 09:20 PM
:D Linux is a foreign language to many that are into computers, let alone to the general public

Actually the opposite is true... by far most people who use windows do not know what they are doing.

Me I use Linux... why? Because on my opinion it is a lot more flexible, especially once you do actually learn about computers...unlike the general public.

Jerry

jawilljr
04-23-2011, 09:25 PM

You probably need what is called proprietary firmware.

What is the output of:

lsusb

and:

lspci

One of the two commands will tell you what wifi adaptor you have. Then you can go from there. BTW compat-wireless (http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download) is the place to go for Linux wireless drivers.

Jerry

Rockntractor
04-23-2011, 09:36 PM
I've put this distro on a couple of netbooks and a few laptops and didn't have problems with the drivers. It all worked out of the box. If you can connect to the internet wired for a while, then install all the updates.

The CD's released by foresight are generally quite a bit behind what is latest on their release repositories. My first piece of advice would be to perform a full system update. If you can connect to the internet wired for a while, open a command prompt and run the following command.

sudo conary update all

That will kick off a massive update that should also update your kernel and all your drivers. Since this includes a kernel update, reboot to the new kernel once the update is run.

If that doesn't work, let me know what kind of wireless card it is, and I'll check with Foresight and see if they had any sort of extra driver packs that need to be installed.

It has a PCIe Dell network card, I tried a usb wireless N dongle on it but it is unaware that it exists.
It is Helen Keller without internet. My router is wireless only, I haven't used wired Ethernet for several years.

Rockntractor
04-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Is there any way it can pull it off the fedora disk, their driver worked with it?

jawilljr
04-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Is there any way it can pull it off the fedora disk, their driver worked with it?

Plug in your USB wifi dongle and type this in a terminal:

sudo lshw -C network

Another command to tell you what network devices you have.

Jerry

Rockntractor
04-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Plug in your USB wifi dongle and type this in a terminal:

sudo lshw -C network

Another command to tell you what network devices you have.

Jerry

Do I do this with the fedora disk mounted?

fettpett
04-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Actually the opposite is true... by far most people who use windows do not know what they are doing.

Me I use Linux... why? Because on my opinion it is a lot more flexible, especially once you do actually learn about computers...unlike the general public.

Jerry

bah, I wasn't talking about the typical noob, there are a lot of Computer people that wont deal with linux for the reason it's a pain in the ass to learn and there are so many distro's out there. I've used them, but don't particularly care for them.

too each their own :p at lest it's better than a mac :D

jawilljr
04-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Do I do this with the fedora disk mounted?

No, all that command does is probe your hardware for network devices... just plug in your USB dongle and type that command in the terminal. It will ask for your password.

Here is my output when I type that command:

jawilljr@jawilljr:~$ sudo lshw -C network
[sudo] password for jawilljr:
*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Network controller
product: PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
version: 61
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:f6000000-f6001fff
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:06:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 01
serial: 00:1a:80:3d:64:1d
size: 10MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10MB/s
resources: irq:43 ioport:4000(size=256) memory:fa000000-fa000fff memory:f4000000-f401ffff
*-network:0
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 1
bus info: usb@2:1
logical name: wlan0
serial: 00:14:d1:e3:41:6e
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rt2800usb driverversion=2.6.35-28-generic firmware=0.12 ip=192.168.1.7 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn
*-network:1 DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 2
logical name: vboxnet0
serial: 0a:00:27:00:00:00
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes

As you can see I have two Disabled network devices... the Intel wireless I have blacklisted because I am testing a Ralink device, The vboxnet device is disabled because Virtualbox is not currently running.

Jerry

malloc
04-23-2011, 10:59 PM
It has a PCIe Dell network card, I tried a usb wireless N dongle on it but it is unaware that it exists.
It is Helen Keller without internet. My router is wireless only, I haven't used wired Ethernet for several years.

That is going to make it tough, since the wireless driver probably exists within the upgraded kernel you would install by doing the updates.

If Fedora is running your wireless driver OK, and it's driver is a loadable module, the Foresight kernel would have to be the exact same version/build that the Fedora kernel is in order for the module to work properly, so that won't do.

If you want to try to update the foresight distribution through the fedora distribution you can try something like this.

Figure out which device you have foresight installed on first, you said you had an extra partition that you installed it on, so it will be one of /dev/sd* or /dev/hd*. You probably selected the partition to install it on when you ran through the foresight installer. Once you figure out what partition you installed foresight you have installed and mount it somewhere like /mnt/cdrom.

mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/cdrom <-- If you installed foresight on /dev/sda3

Then the do the following to update the Foresight distro through the Fedora distro..

sudo su - # Or otherwise become root however you do that in your Fedora setup.
chroot /mnt/cdrom
mount -t proc proc /proc
mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys
conary update all

This will mount the Foresight filesystem under the Fedora system, and then you'll set your root filesystem to the top directory of the Foresight filesystem. Then mount /sys and /proc, and start updating.

The lsusb and lspci commands that jawilljr specified will help to identify which driver should be installed, but without network access, it will be hard to figure out a way to get the driver installed without any network access.

Just for my information, with your Foresight distro booted, what is the output of

uname -r

Combining that information with the chipset and revision of your wireless card from lscpi or lsusb, I'll be able to determine if the latest kernel that you would be updating to even contains a driver for that wireless card, or if the update would be a waste of time.

It's very possible that Fedora has an automated system of setting up an ndis card, which most distributions don't do for legal reasons. The drivers for a lot of these card that require ndis wrappers cannot be freely distributed because of licensing requirements.

Rockntractor
04-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Command not found

malloc
04-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Command not found

For "uname -r" it said command not found?

Rockntractor
04-23-2011, 11:16 PM
For "uname -r" it said command not found?

sudo lshw -C network

malloc
04-23-2011, 11:21 PM
sudo lshw -C network

Yeah, that utility may not be installed with the normal Fedora distro. I'm not really sure what software is installed by default with Fedora, and I know the Fedora install is customized in what can be installed.

If Fedora is working for you, I'd suggest you keep using it, and try to update Foresight within a chroot like I recommended earlier. I'm pretty sure the original Foresight install disks are sending out a 2.6.28 kernel, while the latest kernel you can update to is 2.6.30, which probably has a lot newer drivers than 2.6.28.

I'll hop on IRC (#conary on freenode) with the foresight guys, and try to figure out when Foresight is planning on releasing some new install CD's that contain their latest drivers.

Did the lspci command work and show you what kind of wifi card you had? That way I can see if their latest kernel has drivers for that card.

On Edit: I'll probably have to wait until Monday to talk to the foresight team, as tomorrow is Easter, nobody is likely to be in #conary.

jawilljr
04-23-2011, 11:21 PM
sudo lshw -C network

Sorry about that. Didn't know that the command isn't installed in Foresight by default. Me I use Debian based systems. How to get it installed without the internet I don't know.

Anyway do like Malloc says run the 2 commands(lsusb and lsspci) I gave earlier.

Jerry

Rockntractor
04-23-2011, 11:36 PM
I'm putting Fedora back on it.

Rockntractor
04-23-2011, 11:57 PM
I'm actually putting the fedora back in side by side with the Foresight .

Rockntractor
04-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Fedora is back in but for some reason my format didn't work and I think i lost foresight. The wireless network is fine but no printer, scanner, fax, video players don't play much that was made in the past decade.
On foresight I had printer fax and scanner plus HD video that worked with everything, but it was a helen Keller machine. There has to be a way to combine these.

malloc
04-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Fedora is back in but for some reason my format didn't work and I think i lost foresight. The wireless network is fine but no printer, scanner, fax, video players don't play much that was made in the past decade.
On foresight I had printer fax and scanner plus HD video that worked with everything, but it was a helen Keller machine. There has to be a way to combine these.

I'm no Fedora expert, so I'm not really sure why you don't have HD video or Scanning/Printing. What makes you think you don't have any scanning or printing capability? I mean, what have you tried and checked so far?

For HD Video, Fedora may not have included some codecs and/or drivers that are not "free" in the sense that the licenses required to distribute these software products may not be up to Fedora's liking.

Also, since you have the wireless card working, and are in Fedora now, please give me the output of the following commands so I can see why they aren't working in Foresight:

sudo uname -r

sudo lsmod

sudo lspci

sudo lsusb

From the output of these commands, hopefully I can identify your video card, and then identify which driver is required to run it.

Rockntractor
04-25-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm no Fedora expert, so I'm not really sure why you don't have HD video or Scanning/Printing. What makes you think you don't have any scanning or printing capability? I mean, what have you tried and checked so far?

For HD Video, Fedora may not have included some codecs and/or drivers that are not "free" in the sense that the licenses required to distribute these software products may not be up to Fedora's liking.

Also, since you have the wireless card working, and are in Fedora now, please give me the output of the following commands so I can see why they aren't working in Foresight:

sudo uname -r

sudo lsmod

sudo lspci

sudo lsusb

From the output of these commands, hopefully I can identify your video card, and then identify which driver is required to run it.
It doesn't show a printer and only prints to file.
When I get a chance I'll run those checks.
I'm going to leave it as a Linux machine just to experiment. Thanks!

malloc
04-25-2011, 10:36 PM
It doesn't show a printer and only prints to file.
When I get a chance I'll run those checks.
I'm going to leave it as a Linux machine just to experiment. Thanks!

Ok, let me know when you get the output of those commands.

Also, to check for the printer make sure cupsd is running.

ps -e | grep cupsd

If there is not a cupsd process then start or install cups (cumulative unix printer services) if it's not installed. If there is a file /etc/init.d/cups or /etc/init.d/cupsd then cups is installed, but it's not setup to start automatically, if that file doesn't exist, then it's not installed.

To start cups if it is installed but not running do:

service cups start
# or service cupsd start if the file in /etc/init.d/ is named cupsd instead of cups
# to make sure cups starts when you reboot
chkconfig --levels 345 cups on # or "cupsd" if the file in /etc/init.d/ is named cupsd.

If cups isn't installed at all, then you'll need to install the right cups RPMs from Fedora's CD or something like that.

Rockntractor
04-26-2011, 01:06 AM
Ok, let me know when you get the output of those commands.

Also, to check for the printer make sure cupsd is running.

ps -e | grep cupsd

If there is not a cupsd process then start or install cups (cumulative unix printer services) if it's not installed. If there is a file /etc/init.d/cups or /etc/init.d/cupsd then cups is installed, but it's not setup to start automatically, if that file doesn't exist, then it's not installed.

To start cups if it is installed but not running do:

service cups start
# or service cupsd start if the file in /etc/init.d/ is named cupsd instead of cups
# to make sure cups starts when you reboot
chkconfig --levels 345 cups on # or "cupsd" if the file in /etc/init.d/ is named cupsd.

If cups isn't installed at all, then you'll need to install the right cups RPMs from Fedora's CD or something like that.
[rockntractor@Helen ~]$ ps -e | grep cupsd
1431 ? 00:00:00 cupsd
[rockntractor@Helen ~]$

that is the answer I got