PDA

View Full Version : Palin Hires Lawyer for Investigation Into Officer Firing

LogansPapa
09-02-2008, 10:43 AM
by Associated Press / Monday, September 1, 2008

JUNEAU, Alaska ó Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the GOP vice presidential candidate, has hired a private practice attorney to defend her and members of her staff in the investigation into the firing of her public safety commissioner.

The state Legislature is investigating whether Palin fired public safety commissioner Walt Monegan after he refused to fire a state trooper who had divorced Palinís sister.

Anchorage attorney Thomas V. Van Flein has requested a copy of all witness statements and documentary evidence from the Legislatureís investigator, Stephen Branchflower.

Sen. Hollis French, an Anchorage Democrat, responded on behalf of Branchflower, saying he instructed Branchflower not to comply with the request.

In July, a legislative oversight committee approved $100,000 for an investigation into whether Palin abused her power in firing Monegan.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/01/palin-hires-lawyer-for-investigation-into-officer-firing/

Ree
09-02-2008, 01:44 PM
So????:confused:

LogansPapa
09-02-2008, 01:48 PM
So????:confused:

The state Legislature is investigating whether Palin fired public safety commissioner Walt Monegan after he refused to fire a state trooper who had divorced Palinís sister.

Is this not out of the ordinary?:confused:

Eyelids
09-02-2008, 02:11 PM
I like it when she made everybody resign as a show of loyalty.

LibraryLady
09-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Apparently Monegan couldn't keep his pants zipped. He will regret this mess.

cat714
09-02-2008, 02:22 PM

Is this not out of the ordinary?:confused:

I heard the dismissal had more to due with him not being on board with budget issues. It is my understanding that Palin offered him a position as executive director for the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, but he turned it down. That's not exactly firing someone...more like a reassignment to me.

M21
09-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Here's a great piece written by an Alaskan Attorney in the Anchorage Daily News. I lived in Anchorage Alaska for four years and in the state for twelve.

I served with two men who are now Alaska State Troopers.

I seriously question why Monegan would not take a careful look at whether the troopers adequately investigated reports from multiple witnesses that Wooten drove his patrol car while drunk or drinking alcohol. I also question why Monegan showed no concern over the apparently favorable treatment Wooten got from his fellow trooper, who stopped him on suspicion of drunk driving and gave him a ride home without arresting him, even though he smelled alcohol on his breath. And why would Monegan think that a meager five-day suspension was sufficient for Tasering an innocent child, illegally shooting a moose, speeding, making unsafe lane changes and engaging in other unsafe driving?

Should we feel better knowing that witnesses have described how one of our troopers, a man who wears a badge and exercises the authority of law, drove a marked trooper vehicle while intoxicated, only to be stopped and taxied home by a fellow trooper? Should we feel better after reading the transcript of this trooper's investigative interview, which records the snickering and laughing of this trooper and his union representative? Are we expected to believe that the scandal here is about whether our governor "abused power" by allegedly suggesting that this plainly unqualified man be dismissed as a trooper, rather than about why those individuals assigned the responsibility to manage our troopers neglected to perform their jobs by using the power we gave them?

Anchorage Daily News (http://www.adn.com/opinion/story/490919.html)

hoplophobe
09-02-2008, 03:08 PM
What the OP said:

Palin Hires Lawyer for Investigation Into Officer Firing

What actually happened:

The state has hired a private lawyer to represent Gov. Sarah Palin's office in the Legislature's investigation into the firing of former Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan...

The state Department of Law hired Thomas Van Flein, an Anchorage attorney with expertise in employment law and professional liability, because Attorney General Talis Colberg has a potential conflict of interest and shouldn't represent the governor, Van Flein said Monday.

http://www.adn.com/monegan/story/513137.html

PoliCon
09-02-2008, 06:33 PM
What the OP said:

What actually happened:

http://www.adn.com/monegan/story/513137.html even here the left is spinning things trying to smear her.

Chuck58
09-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Ho-hum, more BS.

These posts really amuse me. I post on a Veteran's forum (Eagles) and we've begun getting hit with the same drivel over there. There are new members signing on and low and behold, this same type of crap is appearing in their first posts. Palin this, Palin's hubby that, Palin's daughter, the trooper investigation. I'd swear it's all coming from the same people as we're seeing here, or they're using the same script.

PoliCon
09-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Ho-hum, more BS.

These posts really amuse me. I post on a Veteran's forum (Eagles) and we've begun getting hit with the same drivel over there. There are new members signing on and low and behold, this same type of crap is appearing in their first posts. Palin this, Palin's hubby that, Palin's daughter, the trooper investigation. I'd swear it's all coming from the same people as we're seeing here, or they're using the same script.Well moveon and kos are passing out the scripts.

Chuck58
09-03-2008, 12:19 AM
I believe it. I thought eyelash might have discovered the Eagle's Forums.

Sonnabend
09-03-2008, 06:06 AM
I'd ask Flippy, but no one has seen him since the crash. :(

Sonnabend
09-03-2008, 06:10 AM
I like it when she made everybody resign as a show of loyalty.

Hey dipstick..at the end of every term, the Cabinet is asked to resign, as they serve at the pleasure of the President, and he or she then decides whether or not to keep them after that term ends.

S.O.P. for the last fifty years in Washington...so there is plenty of precedent

Freaking HELL...there I go again, teaching CIVICS to an American.... :confused:

What school DID you go to? :eek:

Cold Warrior
09-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Hey dipstick..at the end of every term, the Cabinet is asked to resign, as they serve at the pleasure of the President, and he or she then decides whether or not to keep them after that term ends.

S.O.P. for the last fifty years in Washington...so there is plenty of precedent

Freaking HELL...there I go again, teaching CIVICS to an American.... :confused:

What school DID you go to? :eek:

I actually don't know what Eyelids' reference is regarding. However, it can't be what you're indicating as she's only been governor for 2 years, i.e., she hasn't completed her first term.

biccat
09-03-2008, 08:55 AM
even here the left is spinning things trying to smear her.
Of course. LP has been getting his talking points from the Messiah for quite a while now. It's quite obvious who he supports in this election, but he refuses to come out and admit it.

LogansPapa
09-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Of course. LP has been getting his talking points from the Messiah for quite a while now. It's quite obvious who he supports in this election, but he refuses to come out and admit it.

Just to keep the record straight, biccat: You have made this same accusation dozens of times previously and as many times I have said Iím voting for John McCain in the 2008 presidential race - out of a sense of loyalty to my deceased father, an MCPO with the USN, that happened to serve with said candidate. If you wish to continue shitting on the memory of Chief Duffy - do so at the risk of offending others in this forum serving presently and veterans that have served.