PDA

View Full Version : Superman To Renounce U.S. Citizenship

Odysseus
04-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Apr 27th 2011 By: Laura Hudson
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2011/04/superman-citizenship-1303916053.jpg

Superman Renounces [SPOILER] in 'Action Comics' #900
Print this page|EmailShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Lifestream
DC

After recently undertaking a journey to walk -- not fly -- across the United States in the "Grounded" storyline and reconnect with the country and everyday Americans, Superman appears to be taking another step that could have major implications for his national identity: in Action Comics #900...

...Superman announces that he is going to give up his U.S. citizenship. Despite very literally being an alien immigrant, Superman has long been seen as a patriotic symbol of "truth, justice, and the American way," from his embrace of traditional American ideals to the iconic red and blue of his costume. What it means to stand for the "American way" is an increasingly complicated thing, however, both in the real world and in superhero comics, whose storylines have increasingly seemed to mirror current events and deal with moral and political complexities rather than simple black and white morality.

The key scene takes place in "The Incident," a short story in Action Comics #900 written by David S. Goyer with art by Miguel Sepulveda. In it, Superman consults with the President's national security advisor, who is incensed that Superman appeared in Tehran to non-violently support the protesters demonstrating against the Iranian regime, no doubt an analogue for the recent real-life protests in the Middle East. However, since Superman is viewed as an American icon in the DC Universe as well as our own, the Iranian government has construed his actions as the will of the American President, and indeed, an act of war.

Superman replies that it was foolish to think that his actions would not reflect politically on the American government, and that he therefore plans to renounce his American citizenship at the United Nations the next day -- and to continue working as a superhero from a more global than national perspective. From a "realistic" standpoint it makes sense; it would indeed be impossible for a nigh-omnipotent being ideologically aligned with America to intercede against injustice beyond American borders without creating enormous political fallout for the U.S. government.

While this wouldn't be this first time a profoundly American comic book icon disassociated himself from his national identity -- remember when Captain America became Nomad? -- this could be a very significant turning point for Superman if its implications carry over into other storylines. Indeed, simply saying that "truth, justice and the American way [is] not enough anymore" is a pretty startling statement from the one man who has always represented those values the most.

It doesn't seem that he's abandoning those values, however, only trying to implement them on a larger scale and divorce himself from the political complexities of nationalism. Superman also says that he believes he has been thinking "too small," that the world is "too connected" for him to limit himself with a purely national identity. As an alien born on another planet, after all, he "can't help but see the bigger picture."

Do you think the shift to a more global role makes sense for Superman? If he really is going to renounce his U.S. citizenship in order to function as a more international figure, how do you think it will affect the character?

Read More: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/04/27/superman-renounces-us-citizenship/#ixzz1KqYmZaFf

PoliCon
04-28-2011, 03:36 PM
It will make him even more worthless than ever before.

Arroyo_Doble
04-28-2011, 03:39 PM
I once read an alternate-fiction history story where Superman landed in Germany instead of the United States. The entire story took place with him in prison after WW II and ended with a Jewish man bringing him the necessary poison for him to commit suicide.

Articulate_Ape
04-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Oh for crying out loud. :rolleyes:

pyackog
04-28-2011, 04:06 PM
OK...I think these comic book writers are taking themselves a biiiiiit too seriously. :rolleyes:

Wei Wu Wei
04-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Superman didn't leave the United States, the United States left Superman.

Wei Wu Wei
04-28-2011, 04:10 PM
I once read an alternate-fiction history story where Superman landed in Germany instead of the United States. The entire story took place with him in prison after WW II and ended with a Jewish man bringing him the necessary poison for him to commit suicide.

this sounds like it owns

I bet german Superman loved Nietzsche

pyackog
04-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Superman didn't leave the United States, the United States left Superman.

OK, that made me laugh. :D

Odysseus
04-28-2011, 04:19 PM
There've been a number of those Elseworlds stories. The Red Son arc was about him landing in Russia prior to WWII and becoming Stalin's heir, who ends up trying to take over the world for its own good. Luthor defeats him with a single sentence.

this sounds like it owns

I bet german Superman loved Nietzsche
The Nazi propagandists used to argue that Superman was a Jew, based on his having been created by Siegel and Schuster, both Jewish, and his origin being a retelling of the story of Moses in the bullrushes. Of course, circumcision would be a problem if it wasn't done under a red sun...

PoliCon
04-28-2011, 04:35 PM
http://www.allfunnyfaces.com/pictures/Ah_Durr.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aucnVVwvlcE/SwgCYC_EXbI/AAAAAAAAALo/dFUGYFHWFmU/s1600/dumbass.jpg

ironhorsedriver
04-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Well, we are apparently in the "Dump on the US" decade. Wouldn't it be great to finally get some statesmen in office, and the masses finally get fed up with the America haters.

Speedy
04-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Well, we are apparently in the "Dump on the US" decade. Wouldn't it be great to finally get some statesmen in office, and the masses finally get fed up with the America haters.

I would be happy if Americans got fed up with the America haters. Everyone else can fuck themselves.

CueSi
04-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Fuck you, Superman. :p

~QC

PoliCon
04-28-2011, 05:52 PM
and if he renounces his citizenship and still stays in the country . . . doesn't that make him a criminal - an illegal alien?

NJCardFan
04-28-2011, 06:32 PM
This is what happens when comic books turn political and broach political subjects. Comics are supposed to be about entertainment and aren't supposed to get so deep.

Dan D. Doty
04-28-2011, 06:42 PM
We have to remember each writer has his own take on the characters, but was Frank Miller and Alan Moore who set the modern tone.

Frank Miller stated that Superman's world view was he saw the world as order and it was our place to keep the chaos at bay. While Batman saw the world as chaos and we are here to fight to make order.

Always remember that Batman always kicked Superman's ass every time they came into conflict .... tells you something, don't it :D

And BTW, I've always been a Question man myself ( any one who can get under Green Arrow's skin is someone you got to love).

Apocalypse
04-28-2011, 07:51 PM
This is what happens when comic books turn political and broach political subjects. Comics are supposed to be about entertainment and aren't supposed to get so deep.
CBs have always been political, like it or not. Remember, they used them as means to rally the home front during the second world war, and so on.

This is no different. But once again, it will hurt DC.

Much like when they killed Superman, having him give up his US citizenship will also hurt him.

Any one remember "Superman Returns"? How mad viewers were with him not being for the "American Way" in that movie?

Comics have gone too liberal. Capt. America was killed for defending terrorist in the courts. They had the Justices League go to basically a civil war over the Iraq war. The Spiderman comic where they had the superheros calling TEA Partiers as "Dangerous Extremist"

And yet they wonder why comic book sales are way down.

PoliCon
04-28-2011, 08:06 PM
And yet they wonder why comic book sales are way down.They live in an echo chamber and think that they are the majority in America.

Kay
04-28-2011, 09:00 PM
First GI Joe....and now Clark Kent.
We are doomed.

Articulate_Ape
04-28-2011, 09:53 PM
First GI Joe....and now Clark Kent.
We are doomed.

We still have Popeye and Mighty Mouse. This isn't over yet. :mad:

ColonialMarine0431
04-28-2011, 10:07 PM
I prefer Batman....

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/ColonialMarine/GIFS-Animated/batman_vs_shark.gif

FlaGator
04-28-2011, 10:39 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/flagator/professorchaos.jpg

Rockntractor
04-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Who pissed in his Kryptonite.:mad:

Odysseus
04-28-2011, 11:33 PM
and if he renounces his citizenship and still stays in the country . . . doesn't that make him a criminal - an illegal alien?

Technically, he was kind of one to begin with.

It's another example of the pervasive liberal mindset that is ruining entertainment. Sooner or later, some writer who actually loves his country will get control of the book, and this will be blamed on red kryptonite or an imaginary story. :D

Having said that, there needs to be some serious parody. First, who in the Justice League of America is going to serve him the deportation warrant (I suggest Batman, because, as noted, he always comes up with a way to beat Superman)? And since Krypton is no longer there, can we deport him to Kandor? And if so, can we get the deposit back on the bottle? :D

PoliCon
04-28-2011, 11:39 PM
It's another example of the pervasive liberal mindset that is ruining entertainment. Sooner or later, some writer who actually loves his country will get control of the book, and this will be blamed on red kryptonite or an imaginary story. :D

Having said that, there needs to be some serious parody. First, who in the Justice League of America is going to serve him the deportation warrant (I suggest Batman, because, as noted, he always comes up with a way to beat Superman)? And since Krypton is no longer there, can we deport him to Kandor? And if so, can we get the deposit back on the bottle? :D

Didn't he become a naturalized citizen at some point? Not as clark - but as superman . . . . I'm pretty sure he did.

Wei Wu Wei
04-29-2011, 12:21 AM

so called 'non-political' entertainment that makes no political points on the surface are usually the most political of all

ideology functions best in the form of non-ideology

Wei Wu Wei
04-29-2011, 12:27 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/flagator/professorchaos.jpg

professor chaos will never stand up to the awesome power of MintBerry Crunch!

http://community2.metalreview.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/8/3884.tumblr_5F00_lbvye7LpTS1qammg2o1_5F00_500.png

Shaaaaablagoo!

Wei Wu Wei
04-29-2011, 03:47 AM
There've been a number of those Elseworlds stories. The Red Son arc was about him landing in Russia prior to WWII and becoming Stalin's heir, who ends up trying to take over the world for its own good. Luthor defeats him with a single sentence.

holy crap this rules

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman:_Red_Son

AmPat
04-29-2011, 07:50 AM
I always suspected him being a liberal. Afterall, he does wear tights and a cape.:p

Odysseus
04-29-2011, 08:15 AM
http://www.daybydaycartoon.com/042911.jpg

nightflight
04-29-2011, 11:54 AM

SNL did this many years ago. It was "Uberman".

nightflight
04-29-2011, 11:55 AM

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/36309/832868-lex_luthor_super.jpg

Odysseus
04-29-2011, 12:19 PM
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/36309/832868-lex_luthor_super.jpg

If Superman is becoming a transnational cosmopolitan metrosexual, Luthor has my vote. I say that we reopen the Phantom Zone and start deportation.

Rockntractor
04-29-2011, 12:28 PM
Next time Superman flies low over my place, I'm going to wing him and call immigration.:rolleyes:

Odysseus
04-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Next time Superman flies low over my place, I'm going to wing him and call immigration.:rolleyes:

Use a Kryptonite-tipped bullet.

The Hell with Trump! Lex Luthor in 2012!

Rockntractor
04-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Use a Kryptonite-tipped bullet.

The Hell with Trump! Lex Luthor in 2012!

I knew I was saving those for something!:cool:

Silverhair
04-29-2011, 02:35 PM
Meanwhile, what is he going to do about his identity as Clark Kent?

Odysseus
04-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Meanwhile, what is he going to do about his identity as Clark Kent?

Kent is a journalist. They already consider themselves "citizens of the world".

hazlnut
04-29-2011, 06:45 PM
See, here's why the birfer faux controversy continues...

You far-righties confuse real-life with make-believe.

Superman is a made up cartoon character. No real person (with super powers) renounced his citizenship...

Besides, Clark Kent still pays taxes and has a social security number, right.:p

Odysseus
04-29-2011, 07:58 PM

Superman is a made up cartoon character. No real person (with super powers) renounced his citizenship...

Uh, no.

The reason that this matters is that Superman is recognized throughout the world as an American icon. DC's decision to do this reflects an elitist disdain for American culture, and the decline of patriotism among our media elites, but it also shows that the culture of the US is under assault. This is not trivial or silly. A nation that allows its culture to be subverted and used to attack itself will lack the confidence to meet the challenges that it must face. This is a symptom of something far greater, but trust you not to get it.

http://www.jewishjournal.com/images/articles/art_superman_022009-350.jpg

Zathras
04-29-2011, 08:09 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aqJmo_zPg9I/TFC6W8C2nbI/AAAAAAAAAAk/7Rn8D8nN-9Q/s1600/Herp_Derp_by_Helrouis.jpg

Fixed

nightflight
04-29-2011, 08:25 PM

Amos 'n Andy were fictional characters. What would happen ya think if say TBS wanted to rerun episodes?

fettpett
04-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Now I'm really hoping that Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster familes gain control of the character, DC is becoming as bad as Marvel :mad:

CueSi
05-02-2011, 07:27 AM
Well, the SEALS proved we didn't need him anyway. :p

~QC

Odysseus
05-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Well, the SEALS proved we didn't need him anyway. :p

~QC

Skip to 2:30 in the clip. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu3Z815xZ70&feature=related