PDA

View Full Version : Extreme couponing

bijou
05-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Having said on another thread that I wouldn't miss my TV, I have to admit watching Extreme Couponing. I assume it was on US TV quite a while back but it's new here. Is this a really popular activity or are these people freakish? Some of them have years' worth of stuff, it looks like hoarding as a competitive activity.

http://tlc.discovery.com/videos/extreme-couponing-videos/

NJCardFan
05-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Some of these excursions aren't realistic. My wife follows several blogs on people who extreme coupon and most say that while it's possible to have a $600 grocery tab dwindle to $10 with the right amount of coupons and sales, the fact that most supermarkets put limits on the quantity of their sale items makes what you see on that show BS. Case in point was one show where a lady pretty much emptied out the shelf of Texas Toast croutons(which are insanely good BTW) which was something like 50 of them. Well, a blog my wife is on, this one lady shops at this same store and said that this particular store limits you to 5 of any one sale item. Her husband said to go to the store manager to ask if store policy is suspended as long as you have a camera following you. That said, the wife and I are trying to do this. Yesterday we went shopping and before our coupons, our total was $109 and after, it was $59. Not bad but no where near that show.

Also, some people are ridiculous. The first show we watched, this woman and her husband bought 66 bottles of mustard. WTF? What in the blue hell are you going to do with 66 bottles of mustard? Also, they pretty much wiped the shelf out which screws anyone who comes behind them. Also, watch closely as you'll see these people get double coupons on even $1 coupons. Not all stores do that and certainly none in my area. The most they'll do is double to $1 or worse yet, say you have a 50 cent coupon for something and that item is on sale for 75 cents. The coupon will only be doubled to 75 cents. On this show it seems as though the coupon doubles off the entire order instead of the item being purchased. And I've shopped at some of those stores(Kroeger, Safeway) and never got coupons doubled like that.

jendf
05-03-2011, 03:32 PM
I know people who scour the ads and go from one store to another to buy one or two items because it's the cheapest in town. I'll never understand that logic. You're spending the money you saved on gas.

With the exception of the guy who was doing it for care packages for the troops, the people in those videos definitely have a problem.

Climbing into the dumpster for a .50 coupon shows a definite mental deficiency somewhere.

jendf
05-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Also, some people are ridiculous. The first show we watched, this woman and her husband bought 66 bottles of mustard. WTF? What in the blue hell are you going to do with 66 bottles of mustard? Also, they pretty much wiped the shelf out which screws anyone who comes behind them.

Yeah, that's definitely hoarding.

NJCardFan
05-03-2011, 03:35 PM
I know people who scour the ads and go from one store to another to buy one or two items because it's the cheapest in town. I'll never understand that logic. You're spending the money you saved on gas.

With the exception of the guy who was doing it for care packages for the troops, the people in those videos definitely have a problem.

Climbing into the dumpster for a .50 coupon shows a definite mental deficiency somewhere.

That same guy was on another episode and he also donates a lot to the Food Bank. He had 1,000 $1 off coupons for Total cereal and where he shops were selling it for some ridiculous price and he bought 1,000 boxes(had them ordered). His grocery bill that day was something like $5K+ and he shelled out only $250 with $150 of that going to the cereal. He donated all 1,000 boxes to the Food Bank.

NJCardFan
05-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Yeah, that's definitely hoarding.

Some of the families I can understand. One family had 10 kids. OK, buying 20 boxes of cereal isn't all that unrealistic and actually eating them before the date. But buying diapers when you don't have children is just crazy. Did you catch the one where the woman was stealing newspapers?

bijou
05-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Some of these excursions aren't realistic. My wife follows several blogs on people who extreme coupon and most say that while it's possible to have a $600 grocery tab dwindle to $10 with the right amount of coupons and sales, the fact that most supermarkets put limits on the quantity of their sale items makes what you see on that show BS. Case in point was one show where a lady pretty much emptied out the shelf of Texas Toast croutons(which are insanely good BTW) which was something like 50 of them. Well, a blog my wife is on, this one lady shops at this same store and said that this particular store limits you to 5 of any one sale item. Her husband said to go to the store manager to ask if store policy is suspended as long as you have a camera following you. That said, the wife and I are trying to do this. Yesterday we went shopping and before our coupons, our total was $109 and after, it was $59. Not bad but no where near that show.

Also, some people are ridiculous. The first show we watched, this woman and her husband bought 66 bottles of mustard. WTF? What in the blue hell are you going to do with 66 bottles of mustard? Also, they pretty much wiped the shelf out which screws anyone who comes behind them. Also, watch closely as you'll see these people get double coupons on even $1 coupons. Not all stores do that and certainly none in my area. The most they'll do is double to $1 or worse yet, say you have a 50 cent coupon for something and that item is on sale for 75 cents. The coupon will only be doubled to 75 cents. On this show it seems as though the coupon doubles off the entire order instead of the item being purchased. And I've shopped at some of those stores(Kroeger, Safeway) and never got coupons doubled like that.
I thought the mustard thing was madness, they won't finish the 66 bottles they have in the rest of their lives and I'm sure that if they get more coupons for it they will buy more. We will see those two on some future episode of Hoarders.

jendf
05-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Did you catch the one where the woman was stealing newspapers?

I didn't see that but that doesn't surprise me.

jendf
05-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Scroll down to the bottom and watch Amanda's Coupon Day Game Plan. She and her husband end up with 8 carts of crap. If I were the cashier for them, I would quit. Give me an effing break. It's obnoxious.

linda22003
05-03-2011, 03:57 PM
I can't imagine spending my time this way.

bijou
05-03-2011, 04:34 PM
I can't imagine spending my time this way.

I can't imagine you spending your time that way either. ;)

malloc
05-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Having said on another thread that I wouldn't miss my TV, I have to admit watching Extreme Couponing. I assume it was on US TV quite a while back but it's new here. Is this a really popular activity or are these people freakish? Some of them have years' worth of stuff, it looks like hoarding as a competitive activity.

http://tlc.discovery.com/videos/extreme-couponing-videos/

My sister watches this show religiously. I've never seen it.

Zafod
05-03-2011, 07:12 PM
I saw it. Its fucked up bull shit. These people get a fucking rush out of spending little to nothing on stock piles. Its hording of new unused shit.....

pathetic

NJCardFan
05-03-2011, 07:20 PM
I saw it. Its fucked up bull shit. These people get a fucking rush out of spending little to nothing on stock piles. Its hording of new unused shit.....

pathetic

I call them well organized horders.

Zafod
05-03-2011, 07:26 PM
I call them well organized horders.

if I was the husband on the show I saw I would divorce my wife......

NJCardFan
05-03-2011, 10:04 PM

All the husbands they show are into it.

eagleexpress
05-04-2011, 01:27 AM
I was happy last week saving $100 I can't imagine saving as much as some of them WOW

malloc
05-04-2011, 01:31 AM

Shopping is one of the few things my wife and I actually fight about. If something is on sale 50% off, or buy one get one free, she'll buy twice as much as she was originally going to buy! Then she'll claim it saves money! No, she spent the same amount of money, and didn't save anything! Only now we can't fit everything she bought into the pantry!

Zafod
05-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Shopping is one of the few things my wife and I actually fight about. If something is on sale 50% off, or buy one get one free, she'll buy twice as much as she was originally going to buy! Then she'll claim it saves money! No, she spent the same amount of money, and didn't save anything! Only now we can't fit everything she bought into the pantry!
Hahahahahahahahahaha

Gingersnap
05-04-2011, 10:01 AM
I certainly "get" the appeal of this kind of thing. I spend time organizing my shopping to maximize savings and that usually involves going to 3 stores. As a prepper, I understand the deep satisfaction to be had when one views 300 rolls of toilet paper (we have overhead racks in the garage for this kind of stuff). A lot of LDS maintain an extensive food supply as a matter of course and having grown up with that, I doesn't strike me as unusual.

That said, I'm not a couponer. The generic version of things like dish soap is still less expensive than most of the coupon deals. I don't buy (or use) enough processed food to make this work for us. While we do use condiments, spices, etc., I wouldn't want to have so much of any one thing that I felt hesitant to try something new.

NJCardFan
05-04-2011, 11:16 AM
I crack my wife up with some sales. Say an item is $1 and the store has a deal where if you buy 2, it will be $1.50. I say, "how about if we buy just one and save $1?"

Zafod
05-04-2011, 01:32 PM
ok I watched another episode......

the husband was as bad of a fucked up horde case as the wife.....

4 fucking rooms filled to the top with mouth wash, soup, mac n cheese.....1000 bottles of V8 juice that will go bad before they even fucking drink it!!!??>?!!!

WTF???!!!!

linda22003
05-04-2011, 02:02 PM
I wasn't even remotely interested in this show, but I have a sordid fascination with "Hoarders"; if this creeps into hoarder territory I may have to give it a try.

Gingersnap
05-04-2011, 02:40 PM
I wasn't even remotely interested in this show, but I have a sordid fascination with "Hoarders"; if this creeps into hoarder territory I may have to give it a try.

Nah, couponers have to be ultra well-organized. Their "hoards" are all neatly shelved on commercial equipment, rotated into inventory by expiration date, and arranged by type and color. There's no vicarious "ick" factor with these people.

jendf
05-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Nah, couponers have to be ultra well-organized. Their "hoards" are all neatly shelved on commercial equipment, rotated into inventory by expiration date, and arranged by type and color. There's no vicarious "ick" factor with these people.

I think the "ick" factor for these folks is their greed.

Gingersnap
05-04-2011, 03:26 PM
I think the "ick" factor for these folks is their greed.

I don't know how greed really plays into it. They put in all the many hours of work it requires to pull this kind of thing off. A lot of them seem to be pulling up the slack when a spouse becomes unemployed for months at a time. One guy does it so he can donate food to food banks and send care packages to our troops. :confused:

Zafod
05-04-2011, 03:39 PM
I think its a sickness. No one needs 2000 bottles of mouth wash.

Buying Juice in 500 bottle bulk buys is stupid. They will throw out most of it.

The guy who donates the food is awesome! The people who consume what they buy because they have a huge family are ok in my book.

The couple who just like the idea of having 4 rooms loaded to the brim with shit to the point that they take out a insurance policy on it in the amount of 50k is fucking retarded.....

linda22003
05-04-2011, 03:55 PM

Then I'm out.

jendf
05-04-2011, 04:06 PM
I don't know how greed really plays into it. They put in all the many hours of work it requires to pull this kind of thing off. A lot of them seem to be pulling up the slack when a spouse becomes unemployed for months at a time. One guy does it so he can donate food to food banks and send care packages to our troops. :confused:

A woman buys 64 bottles of mustard, not because her family needs that many, but because she can. I think that's greedy. And obnoxious. These women who are featured gleefully clearing out whole shelves in grocery stores are gross.

I would buy the whole "My spouse is unemployed and I need to do this for my family" theory if they weren't throwing 200 Butterfinger bars and 50 bags of chips in their cart. That's not necessity. That's greed.

SaintLouieWoman
05-04-2011, 04:22 PM
A woman buys 64 bottles of mustard, not because her family needs that many, but because she can. I think that's greedy. And obnoxious. These women who are featured gleefully clearing out whole shelves in grocery stores are gross.

I would buy the whole "My spouse is unemployed and I need to do this for my family" theory if they weren't throwing 200 Butterfinger bars and 50 bags of chips in their cart. That's not necessity. That's greed.

Dillards usually has a big sale on purses on New Year's Day. My sister goes every year. I'm not sure if she's going to continue, because she says some women elbow out everyone else and grab every purse on the counter. There's no way one woman can use 20-40 new purses. They must be selling them on e-bay. Somehow my sister managed to wrest one from a woman with her arms so full that some were falling to the ground.

Now that's greed. I wouldn't go near there, no way I want to be injured in the greyt purse dustup! :eek:

Gingersnap
05-04-2011, 04:37 PM

I dunno - unemployed people like candy, I suppose. If they're making the mortgage payments and getting the candy for 5 cents a piece, that seems okay. This couponing thing seems more like any extreme hobby to me than a character issue. Some people spend every cent on Elvis items, one guy turned his apartment into the bridge of the Enterprise, some women have 100 pairs of shoes. I don't think any of that is a necessity but my own hobbies actually are. :p

jendf
05-04-2011, 06:00 PM
So buy a candy bar or two. When you buy 100 at a time, you've crossed over into "wretched excess" territory, regardless of how great of a deal you get.

I miss WE. :D

Madisonian
05-04-2011, 08:25 PM
I think its a sickness. No one needs 2000 bottles of mouth wash.

Ever talked to Articulate_Ape???

Shannon
05-04-2011, 10:27 PM
I do clip coupons. I admit to getting excited when I have a $ off coupon on an item that is BOGO. It's just fun for me though, not an obsession. Last week I had to swing by the grocery store after work to pick up an item and saw mayo was BOGO so picked some up. I came home and saw that I already had two jars in the pantry.It's a big help if you actually know what you have in your house before you shop.:p