PDA

View Full Version : Why did you join

eagleexpress
05-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Why did you decide to serve in the military? Have you always felt it was your duty or was a event in your life that made you join? How long have you or were you in the military?

MountainMan
05-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Why did you decide to serve in the military? Have you always felt it was your duty or was a event in your life that made you join? How long have you or were you in the military?

Why did I join up? Well, my father was a 20 year zoomie and I was brought up to respect those that serve. So when my time came, I went down to the recruiters office in Helena, Montana, stood in front of the door and flipped a coin. Heads I was headed to the USMC and tails I was headed to the USCG.

I proudly served in the USCG from 90-94.

However, just a few years ago I learned that it wasn't due to respect for those in uniform, or a sense of duty to my country that I joined up. Apparently I joined up because in Montana there was no hope for someone who was lower middle class like myself to actually succeed. Nope, I joined because I was poor white trash...at least that what the democrat party told me.

marv
05-06-2011, 07:59 AM
I was bored with school, so I dropped out after my freshman year at Valparaiso University...gave up a full tuition, four year academic scholarship. Dad was pissed! Then I couldn't get a job because of my draft status...this was 1958. So I joined the USAF.

Best decision I ever made; the military made me grow up!

IMO, the military draft should be re-instated.

namvet
05-06-2011, 10:47 AM
I had the draft after my ass. dad said your joining the USN. an old family tradition :D

Starbuck
05-06-2011, 11:35 AM
I was 17. We all had to go sooner or later.
For me, the navy was a perfect fit. I had been reading Bluejacket's Manual for years and dreamed of going to sea.
I still do, sometimes.:)

I loved going to sea. Loved the routine, the motion of the ships, the uniform. Later, when I got out, I bought a sailboat and took it to sea. I stayed with the navy for nine years, but by 1971 it was just too tough. The draft had stopped and we weren't getting any good people at all, to speak of. I got out. That, too, was a good decision.

namvet
05-06-2011, 12:05 PM
I was 17. We all had to go sooner or later.
For me, the navy was a perfect fit. I had been reading Bluejacket's Manual for years and dreamed of going to sea.
I still do, sometimes.:)

I loved going to sea. Loved the routine, the motion of the ships, the uniform. Later, when I got out, I bought a sailboat and took it to sea. I stayed with the navy for nine years, but by 1971 it was just too tough. The draft had stopped and we weren't getting any good people at all, to speak of. I got out. That, too, was a good decision.

same here. always had it in my blood. something about being out there and nothing on the horizon