PDA

View Full Version : Senate Hearing to Examine ‘Inappropriate’ Use of OBL Mission Codename ‘Geronimo’

PoliCon
05-04-2011, 05:37 PM
A previously scheduled Senate Indian Affairs Committee hearing on racist Native American stereotypes will now include discussion on the use of a codename used during the bin Laden kill-or-capture mission: “Geronimo.”

A committee aide told ABC News today that linking the name of the native American leader with the world’s most wanted man is “inappropriate” and can have a “devastating” impact on kids.

“The hearing was scheduled well before the Osama bin Laden operation became news, but the concerns over the linking of the name of Geronimo, one of the greatest Native American heroes, with the most hated enemies of the United States is an example of the kinds of issues we intended to address at Thursday’s hearing,” Loretta Tuell, the committee’s chief counsel, said in a statement.

“These inappropriate uses of Native American icons and cultures are prevalent throughout our society, and the impacts to Native and non-Native children are devastating,” Tuell added. “We intend to open the forum to talk about them.”

“A Native frame of reference is one that is inundated with appropriation and misrepresentation of who we were, and who we are today,” Debbie Reese, a native American, writes on the Wall Street Journal website. “There are research studies that point to the negative effects of this sort of imagery on the self-esteem and self-efficacy of Native children. There are other studies that point to the high rates of suicide, and, to the high drop-out rates of our children.”

She adds: “If your (non-Native) point of view is Geronimo as the courageous leader, then you probably think the use of his name honors him and links him to the courage of the Navy SEALS who carried out the operation. … If your point of view is Geronimo as the blood-thirsty savage, then you probably think that Geronimo was a terrorist.”

Geronimo was an Apache leader around the turn of the century who was on of the last of his tribe to surrender to the U.S. He was widely feared during his time, during which he fought both U.S. and Mexican forces.

ABC says the codename was not actually given to bin Laden, but rather was used to represent the actual act of killing the terrorist.

What do you think?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/senate-hearing-to-examine-inappropriate-use-of-obl-codename-geronimo/

djones520
05-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Anyone got a face palm pic handy?

PoliCon
05-04-2011, 05:41 PM

I figured certain members might like to see what real political correctness looks like ;)

Hawkgirl
05-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Frankly, Scummer would have been more fitting.

Undies
05-04-2011, 06:03 PM
They wouldn't listen. I told them they should call it Operation Bob.

Articulate_Ape
05-04-2011, 06:23 PM

http://www.augustman.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/tactical-facepalm-2.jpg

Novaheart
05-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Fuck them too. I'm tired of their whiny crap. You lost, get over it.

A modern people conquered and kept a land loosely occupied by people who were arguably in either the Stone Age or the Bronze Age. It's no different than the Romans coming to the British Isles (or most of the other places in western Europe). Conquest was how civilization advanced and technology spread back then.

These people don't want to give up the modern conveniences, even the ones given to them in the first century of conquest much less the most recent additions. Most of the people claiming to be "Native American" a culturally aggressive term if I ever heard one, are about as Indian as I am (remote and assuming the genealogy is correct). No, they want to bitch. Well I am tired of it.

I especially get a kick out of it when someone does a photo montage or other artwork showing the resentment of the proud Native American in his peaceful and natural state, except that he's on horseback and carrying a gun. Idiocy reigns next to stupidity.

If we really hated and disparaged the Indians all these centuries, then why do little kids want to play the Indian? Why does our national (now heterosexual only) male child paramilitary club for the development of character and skills use Indian iconography? Why do countless locations in this country have Indian names?

Sometimes people won't accept respect.

End Rant/

Undies
05-04-2011, 06:48 PM
End Rant/

I'm Apache, Caddo, and Shawnee. Where you from?

Novaheart
05-04-2011, 07:07 PM

I don't claim Indian ancestry because it's less than 1/16th. I have found over the years that most people who claim Indian ancestry do so on very shaky evidence and often without any proof at all. Typically, it's based on something a great uncle or grandfather told them to amuse them or spark their imagination, or because a similar story had been told to them. The ubiquitous claim of a "Cherokee (or part Cherokee) grandmother (or great grandmother) " is usually false and since the census records have been released and transcribed I would expect a lot of these claims to go away.

PoliCon
05-04-2011, 07:09 PM
I don't claim Indian ancestry because it's less than 1/16th. I have found over the years that most people who claim Indian ancestry do so on very shaky evidence and often without any proof at all. Typically, it's based on something a great uncle or grandfather told them to amuse them or spark their imagination, or because a similar story had been told to them. The ubiquitous claim of a "Cherokee (or part Cherokee) grandmother (or great grandmother) " is usually false and since the census records have been released and transcribed I would expect a lot of these claims to go away.

If it's more than 4 generations back - it doesn't count.

Novaheart
05-04-2011, 07:11 PM

Get tired of the orthodoxy at DU?

Undies
05-04-2011, 07:13 PM

I remember my great grandmother on my mother's side. She was a 100% Caddo squaw. The rest has been passed down. I make no claims. It is not important to me.

djones520
05-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Get tired of the orthodoxy at DU?

Huh?

Novaheart
05-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Huh?

I was guessing that "Undies" is "Underpants" at DU. I guess I was wrong.

Undies
05-04-2011, 11:33 PM

By the distance between the sun and Pluto x 10 to the 9th power x a.

** a = light years and a day.

djones520
05-04-2011, 11:36 PM

You couldn't be anymore wrong.

Kay
05-04-2011, 11:49 PM
I just channeled Apache Chief Geronimo, and he says he could not be prouder
to have his name used by the most elite warriors of the day. That's him on right:

http://www.brianhuberman.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Apache_chieff_Geronimo_right_and_his_warriors_in_1 886.jpg

NJCardFan
05-05-2011, 02:05 AM
Can we please grow a fucking backbone in this country.

fettpett
05-05-2011, 09:11 AM
there are only a small group of Indian's that care, it's the same group that bitch's about sports teams they need to fuck off

Phillygirl
05-05-2011, 09:19 AM
I guess the falling dollar, the increased terror alert, the health care "crisis" and the Royal Wedding aren't enough on the Senate's plate today.

Are kids no longer allowed to yell "Geronimo" before doing a cannonball off the high dive?

txradioguy
05-05-2011, 09:27 AM

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/63/picardnofacepalmlf3.jpg

PoliCon
05-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Are kids no longer allowed to yell "Geronimo" before doing a cannonball off the high dive?I guess not. I guess they have to yell: HONOURED NATIVE AMERICAN TRIBAL CHIEF!

txradioguy
05-05-2011, 11:36 AM
I guess the falling dollar, the increased terror alert, the health care "crisis" and the Royal Wedding aren't enough on the Senate's plate today.

Are kids no longer allowed to yell "Geronimo" before doing a cannonball off the high dive?

Mine are :D

NJCardFan
05-05-2011, 01:51 PM
there are only a small group of Indian's that care, it's the same group that bitch's about sports teams they need to fuck off
I'd love to go into a meeting with these idiots wearing this:
http://www.sportsreport360.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Cleveland-Indians.gif

Arroyo_Doble
05-05-2011, 01:57 PM

If you want to be really offensive, try this one instead.

http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/RD1001.jpg

fettpett
05-05-2011, 03:31 PM

my fucktard socially teacher tried to tell us last semester that Redskin came about as a derogatory term, when in fact the first recorded use of the word was by Indian's describing themselves, of course this was the same dummy that tried to say that we used germ warfare against them and that our forum of democracy came from the Iroquois (and that Washington tried to wipe them out).:mad: /sigh

Madisonian
05-05-2011, 06:54 PM

Considering the makeup of some teams now, wouldn't Seattle Spearchuckers, New York Ghetto Gangbangers or Detroit Felons by more appropo...:confused:

txradioguy
05-06-2011, 03:08 AM

How is that offensive fanboy?

Unless you're a Cowboys fan like myself and they are a hated NFL rival?

wiegenlied
05-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Each important operation was named after something of a great fascination, why would "Geronimo" be any different. It proved the bravery and daring feat of the elite forces. People's reactions are truly unpredictable. (anyway it's named Neptune Spear now)

Wouldn't it be very troublesome if because of this each operation's codename in the future has to be discussed by the senate or be approved by the congress.

(Just a question, doesn't mean anything) What was being discussed in the senate about the wedding?

fettpett
05-06-2011, 08:55 AM
(Just a question, doesn't mean anything) What was being discussed in the senate about the wedding?

what box set of DVD's to send to the royal couple...Star Wars on Blu-Ray or the full Series of Doctor Who (all 34 seasons) :D

AmPat
05-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Actually, they attempted to use the operation code word generator but realized it was out of calibration when "Sleeps with Boys" was spit out. Obviously the new DADT download was not yet installed.:o

wiegenlied
05-06-2011, 02:14 PM

Actually I've been thinking about it half day and then I thought, "Hey, why not yell 'Superman' instead" :D

Actually, they attempted to use the operation code word generator but realized it was out of calibration when "Sleeps with Boys" was spit out. Obviously the new DADT download was not yet installed.:o

The longer the better :cool:

I honestly don't know what happened in the Senate and the House nowadays. Just wishing everyone stays sane.

Phillygirl
05-06-2011, 02:36 PM

I don't know, but I can only assume that those 50 people took a vote on Beatrice's hat wear.

what box set of DVD's to send to the royal couple...Star Wars on Blu-Ray or the full Series of Doctor Who (all 34 seasons) :D

Or that.