PDA

View Full Version : Obama floats plan to tax cars by the mile

PoliCon
05-05-2011, 12:20 PM
By Pete Kasperowicz - 05/05/11 07:45 AM ET

The Obama administration has floated a transportation authorization bill that would require the study and implementation of a plan to tax automobile drivers based on how many miles they drive.

The plan is a part of the administration's "Transportation Opportunities Act," an undated draft of which was obtained this week by Transportation Weekly.

This follows a March Congressional Budget Office report that supported the idea of taxing drivers based on miles driven.

Among other things, CBO suggested that a vehicle miles traveled (VMT) tax could be tracked by installing electronic equipment on each car to determine how many miles were driven; payment could take place electronically at filling stations.

The CBO report was requested by Senate Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad (D-ND), who has proposed taxing cars by the mile as a way to increase federal highway revenues.

Obama's proposal seems to follow up on that idea in section 2218 of the draft bill. That section would create, within the Federal Highway Administration, a Surface Transportation Revenue Alternatives Office. It would be tasked with creating a "study framework that defines the functionality of a mileage-based user fee system and other systems."

The administration seems to be aware of the need to prepare the public for what would likely be a controversial change to the way highway funds are collected. For example, the office is called on to serve a public relations function, as the draft says it should "increase public awareness regarding the need for an alternative funding source for surface transportation programs and provide information on possible approaches."

The draft bill says the "study framework" for the project and a public awareness communications plan should be established within two years of creating the office, and that field tests should begin within four years.

The office would be required to consider four factors in field trials: the capability of states to enforce payment, the reliability of technology, administrative costs, and "user acceptance." The draft does not specify where field trials should begin.

The new office would be funded a total of $200 million through FY 2017 for the project.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/159397-obama-floats-plan-to-tax-cars-by-the-mile

djones520
05-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Let me guess. This is on top of the gas tax right? :rolleyes:

PoliCon
05-05-2011, 12:24 PM

:rolleyes: of course. why would you even ask?? :rolleyes:

txradioguy
05-05-2011, 12:25 PM
They are doing their best to force people to stop automobile ownership aren't they?

Arroyo_Doble
05-05-2011, 12:29 PM

I don't see how. It has to be a replacement revenue scheme.

Also, wouldn't this almost be required if you use a primarily electric vehicle? And I still don't see how you distribute it to the various governing entities responsible for infrastructure maintenance.

lacarnut
05-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Obama and the sorry bastards in DC have the nerve to accuse the oil companies of ripping us off. Their cut of the pie is is already 4 to 5 times more than that of the oil comapnies. Obama wants high gasoline prices so that the greenie cars can compete.

djones520
05-05-2011, 12:33 PM
I don't see how. It has to be a replacement revenue scheme.

Also, wouldn't this almost be required if you use a primarily electric vehicle? And I still don't see how you distribute it to the various governing entities responsible for infrastructure maintenance.

In a sane world you don't see how. But I've never seen a democrat that would cut a tax out for another when they can just slap them on top of each other.

Arroyo_Doble
05-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Obama and the sorry bastards in DC have the nerve to accuse the oil companies of ripping us off. Their cut of the pie is is already 4 to 5 times more than that of the oil comapnies. Obama wants high gasoline prices so that the greenie cars can compete.

I see this differently, I guess. This appears more a way to raise revenue off "greenie" cars.

PoliCon
05-05-2011, 12:36 PM

Actually - I think this would hit hybrid drivers pretty hard because they're going to have more mileage to be taxed between fill ups . . . . I mean if you tax $1 a mile - and you get 40 mpg . . . .

Bailey
05-05-2011, 12:40 PM
I see this differently, I guess. This appears more a way to raise revenue off "greenie" cars.

Do me a big favor and just once be against something this administration purposes?

Zathras
05-05-2011, 12:42 PM

I wish it was just 4 or 5 times more than what the oil companies take in. Exxon makes a little over 2 cents profit on a gallon of gas, for which they did all the work of getting it out of the ground, refining it and shipping it to their stations. On the other hand, the federal gax tax here in California is 36 cents per gallon, 18 times higer than what the oil company gets....and they didn't do a damned thing to get it.

Arroyo_Doble
05-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Do me a big favor and just once be against something this administration purposes?

You don't have enough others around here to do that?

pyackog
05-05-2011, 12:45 PM

Actually, that does seem to the announced reason for this tax although I could see ANY government in power at the time the study is concluded enacting it regardless of what types of vehicles are on the roads at the time.

Bailey
05-05-2011, 12:46 PM
You don't have enough others around here to do that?

I like some unanimity once in a while or aren't you tired of always carrying water for Obama?

lacarnut
05-05-2011, 12:46 PM

The surcharge/tax would be charged at the filling station/gas station. There are stations around the country that you can charge your electric car. However, the tax would not apply if you charged your car at home. This tax is just another attempt by the assholes in Congress to wean us off of cars using gasoline cause they want sky high gasoline prices. I know that it is hard for simple minded liberals to get that thru their thick skulls but that is the gospel. Obama wants want EU gas prices. No shit.

pyackog
05-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Part of this whole act is also the possibility of toll booths all over the place, partially to ease congestion in metro areas, which would be accomplished by higher tolls during peak hours.

txradioguy
05-05-2011, 12:52 PM
I like some unanimity once in a while or aren't you tired of always carrying water for Obama?

LOL! fanboy never gets tired of doing that.

Bailey
05-05-2011, 01:15 PM

Its like a Knee jerk reaction to what anyone ever says to him, to go in the opposite direction.

Zathras
05-05-2011, 01:34 PM

He should really change his avatar to this one...

http://www.the-reel-mccoy.com/movies/1998/images/waterboy_waterboy.jpg

It's what he is.

NJCardFan
05-05-2011, 01:45 PM

I think we can officially change what's printed under Oreo's avatar to "Official Obama Dog Washer".

Bailey
05-05-2011, 01:52 PM
I think we can officially change what's printed under Oreo's avatar to "Official Obama Dog Washer".

Or ball bag washer

Hawkgirl
05-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Talk about being screwed by your own government. Not only does this screw the everyday commuter, but also screws the auto companies.

2012 can't come fast enough!

Madisonian
05-05-2011, 05:41 PM
2012 can't come fast enough!

Why? Because you don't think Republicans will jump at this like muzzies on the ass of a 10 year old boy?