PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Lt Col

Bailey
05-16-2011, 12:52 PM
I dont know if a thread has been started too congratulate you on your promotion but if not (too lazy to check :D) Congrats and hope Full Bird is not far behind :)

Gingersnap
05-16-2011, 12:54 PM
I have no idea what this is about but Congratulations! :D

djones520
05-16-2011, 12:55 PM
I have no idea what this is about but Congratulations! :D

You'll notice his avatar doesn't look so tarnished anymore.

hampshirebrit
05-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Congrats, LTC. Welcome to our new most senior officer and gentleman. :D

SaintLouieWoman
05-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Congrats, LTC. Welcome to our new most senior officer and gentleman. :D
Congrats, Ody. I cannot say it any better than Hamp. :)

linda22003
05-16-2011, 02:09 PM
I don't see any difference in the avatar (since I don't really pay attention to them) but congratulations! :)

SarasotaRepub
05-16-2011, 02:10 PM
A big Congrats from The Empire!!! :D

NJCardFan
05-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Congrats Ody! Hopefully you'll reach my rank some day.

lacarnut
05-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Congrats and a well deserved promotion.

fettpett
05-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Congratz Ody!!!!!

Articulate_Ape
05-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Wow! WTG, Ody!

Odysseus
05-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks, everyone. It's funny how I found out. I had been told that the order wouldn't be published for at least another month, but when I logged in to AKO today, it had me listed as an LTC. I did a double take, then logged into the HRC website and looked up my record, and it had me promoted as well, plus they had posted the order, dated 4 May, with a DOR of 3 January 2011, which means that I have about four months of back pay coming.

I called Mrs. O and told her that I had good news and bad news, and as always, she asked for the bad news first, so I told her that I had to go to clothing sales and pick up a bunch of new uniform items. When she asked me what I needed to get, I started rattling off the various insigina that I'd need, and after a moment, she realized what the good news was. :D

I called my dad next. He needed some good news, and this made his day. I only wish that I'd had the order a week earlier, as I'd have been able to tell my mom before she passed.

djones520
05-16-2011, 04:50 PM
I was about to say, that's awesome that the Army is so on top of it, your shit was updated before you even knew about it. Then I kept reading and saw that it was updated 4 months late, and realized the Army really isn't that differant then the AF. :D

jendf
05-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Congrats!

Molon Labe
05-16-2011, 05:59 PM
congrats. I guess that means about 7 more years and a possible Battalion command?

Odysseus
05-16-2011, 06:12 PM
congrats. I guess that means about 7 more years and a possible Battalion command?

Well, the next three years are going to be more staff time. After that, cross your fingers.

Rockntractor
05-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Congrats! Are we all invited over for a party?:D

djones520
05-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Congrats! Are we all invited over for a party?:D

Funny you bring that up. The Air Force times just did a story about promotion parties.

JB
05-16-2011, 07:03 PM
I don't see any difference in the avatar (since I don't really pay attention to them) but congratulations! :)It used to be goldy, not its silvery, next it will be irony. :p

Congrats Ody. Well deserved I'm sure.

linda22003
05-16-2011, 07:46 PM
I only wish that I'd had the order a week earlier, as I'd have been able to tell my mom before she passed.

Well, that made me catch my breath, and I can't be the only one. :o

marv
05-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Congrats LtC Ody. I only made it to CW2..........and that was a lot of damned hard work!

Lager
05-16-2011, 09:31 PM
I would like to pass on my congratulations as well. Well done.

PoliCon
05-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Well, the next three years are going to be more staff time. After that, cross your fingers.

after that - running for president?? :eek::D Congrats. :)

Kay
05-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Congratulations! http://www.firstfighterwing.com/Forum/images/smilies/smiley_salute.gif

The chick-magnet-i-ness of a man increases
proportionately with higher rank. ;)

Constitutionally Speaking
05-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Well, that made me catch my breath, and I can't be the only one. :o

No doubt. Very sorry to hear that. I am sure she is very proud.

Odysseus
05-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks all. I'm all ferklempt. :o Talk among yourselves for a moment.

after that - running for president?? Congrats. :)
Nah. I don't have any community organizing on my resume.

Congratulations! http://www.firstfighterwing.com/Forum/images/smilies/smiley_salute.gif

The chick-magnet-i-ness of a man increases
proportionately with higher rank. ;)
Mrs. O will be happy to hear that. Thus far, she's told me that she's looking forward to telling a Lieutenant Colonel to clean out the catbox.

No doubt. Very sorry to hear that. I am sure she is very proud.

Thanks. She knew that I had been selected, but it would have been nice to have told her.

Zafod
05-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks, everyone. It's funny how I found out. I had been told that the order wouldn't be published for at least another month, but when I logged in to AKO today, it had me listed as an LTC. I did a double take, then logged into the HRC website and looked up my record, and it had me promoted as well, plus they had posted the order, dated 4 May, with a DOR of 3 January 2011, which means that I have about four months of back pay coming.

I called Mrs. O and told her that I had good news and bad news, and as always, she asked for the bad news first, so I told her that I had to go to clothing sales and pick up a bunch of new uniform items. When she asked me what I needed to get, I started rattling off the various insigina that I'd need, and after a moment, she realized what the good news was. :D

I called my dad next. He needed some good news, and this made his day. I only wish that I'd had the order a week earlier, as I'd have been able to tell my mom before she passed.

HOOAH!

Bailey
05-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks all. I'm all ferklempt. :o Talk among yourselves for a moment.

Nah. I don't have any community organizing on my resume.

Mrs. O will be happy to hear that. Thus far, she's told me that she's looking forward to telling a Lieutenant Colonel to clean out the catbox.

Thanks. She knew that I had been selected, but it would have been nice to have told her.

they say most officers careers end around 05 or 06 rank (could be mistaken) but are you shooting for flag rank someday?

Odysseus
05-17-2011, 01:20 PM
they say most officers careers end around 05 or 06 rank (could be mistaken) but are you shooting for flag rank someday?

Are you kidding? I'm amazed that I got this far. :D

It used to be that only half of all lieutenants made captain, and about a quarter of all captains made major. The reason for this is that the average battalion has four platoon leaders and an XO, which are lieutenant positions, in each company, and one captain, the commander. The staff has a mix of lieutenants, captains and one or two majors (the XO and usually the S3, depending on the type of BN), and one lieutenant colonel. The pyramid narrows as you go up, with fewer positions in each rank. Now, there are higher staffs with more positions (Brigade/Regiment, Division, Corps, etc.,), but most officers start out at the company level and have to work their way up. The first general officer position is O7, and that's a huge cut, as it requires serious political as well as military skills, and the vast majority never make that cut.

Kay
05-17-2011, 11:10 PM

LOL....just remember no matter how high you go,
Mrs. O will always outrank you. Always. :D

Bailey
05-18-2011, 06:34 AM
Are you kidding? I'm amazed that I got this far. :D

It used to be that only half of all lieutenants made captain, and about a quarter of all captains made major. The reason for this is that the average battalion has four platoon leaders and an XO, which are lieutenant positions, in each company, and one captain, the commander. The staff has a mix of lieutenants, captains and one or two majors (the XO and usually the S3, depending on the type of BN), and one lieutenant colonel. The pyramid narrows as you go up, with fewer positions in each rank. Now, there are higher staffs with more positions (Brigade/Regiment, Division, Corps, etc.,), but most officers start out at the company level and have to work their way up. The first general officer position is O7, and that's a huge cut, as it requires serious political as well as military skills, and the vast majority never make that cut.

I read that being in command of a company was the best command slot there ever was. :D

Odysseus
05-18-2011, 01:35 PM
LOL....just remember no matter how high you go,
Mrs. O will always outrank you. Always. :D
That's why they call the position Household 6. :D

I read that being in command of a company was the best command slot there ever was. :D

It was the most fun that I ever had. But, being the PowerPoint Master Gunner for a division staff has its moments. :D

Bailey
05-18-2011, 03:54 PM
That's why they call the position Household 6.

It was the most fun that I ever had. But, being the PowerPoint Master Gunner for a division staff has its moments. :D

God you guys are so hen pecked :)

Guess thats why I am not married :( :D

What does PP have to do with combat?

Odysseus
05-18-2011, 04:24 PM
God you guys are so hen pecked :)
Guess thats why I am not married :( :D
I'd deny that I'm hen-pecked, but the Mrs. won't let me. :D

What does PP have to do with combat?
PowerPoint has become the primary briefing tool in the army. Anyone who can't produce a presentation worthy of a two-star command armed with only a laptop, a sidearm and rusty laser pointer will never make it above 2LT.

Apache
05-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Late to the party...

Congrats Ody....:cool:

PoliCon
05-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Late to the party...

:rolleyes: as usual. Typical rodent.

jediab
05-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Congratz! sir and very sorry to hear about your mother.

Funny thing is when I hear or read the rank LTC, I immediately think of the name Henry Blake.

eagleexpress
05-19-2011, 11:51 PM
Congrats and how are or did you celebrate the promotion?

RobJohnson
05-20-2011, 04:46 AM

Sorry for your loss & happy about the promotion. I know your father must be feeling very proud.