PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Lewis Retiring From MDA Telethon In September

txradioguy
05-17-2011, 04:16 AM
After 45 years, Jerry Lewis is retiring as host of the Muscular Dystrophy Association’s Labor Day telethon.

The 85-year-old comedian and Las Vegas resident issued a statement Monday through the Tucson, Ariz.-based Muscular Dystrophy Association calling it time for a “new telethon era.”

He says he’ll make his final appearance on the six-hour primetime telethon Sept. 4 by performing his song “You’ll Never Walk Alone.”

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/05/16/jerry-lewis-retiring-from-mda-telethon-in-september/

Kay
05-17-2011, 10:18 PM
45 years! Boy I remember watching the very first one with my mother and sister.
We only had 3 channels back in that day. Over the last couple of decades I have
to admit I don't think I've watched it once. It got buried in the mass of cable and
satellite choices. I had almost forgotten about it till I saw this post.

Happy retirement Jerry.
God bless you for all the good works that have come from it over the years.

Gingersnap
05-17-2011, 10:54 PM
What's kind of sad is that 45 years on, we still haven't cured it. This is no put down of Lewis, just a sad observation.

Rockntractor
05-17-2011, 11:01 PM
What will he do with that extra week every year? He had a better gig than teachers!:confused:

Kay
05-17-2011, 11:53 PM
What's kind of sad is that 45 years on, we still haven't cured it. This is no put down of Lewis, just a sad observation.

Wow, I hadn't thought of it in those terms.
Very sad indeed.

noonwitch
05-18-2011, 01:24 PM

It's not curable.

The research that has been done with the money his foundation has raised has led to better treatment, and will eventually lead to identifying couples with the genetic potential to produce children with MD, so the carriers of the gene will be able to make better informed choices about bringing biological children into the world.

NJCardFan
05-18-2011, 08:00 PM
The sad thing is, that with all the work he's done for this foundation, he is bar none the biggest asshole in the history of show business. I know people who have met him and they say he's such an incredible dick that it boggles the mind.