PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi River Flooding: Two Towns, Divided By A River

Gingersnap
05-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Mississippi River Flooding: Two Towns, Divided By A River, With Drastically Different Fates
Chris Kirkham

First Posted: 05/18/11 07:58 AM ET Updated: 05/18/11 09:27 AM ET

VIDALIA, LA. –- Traffic has been swift for weeks along the majestic steel bridge that connects this low-lying river town to its sister city across the Mississippi River.

Moving vans filled with furniture, tractors and combines from cotton and corn fields, and truckloads of office supplies all head toward Natchez, Miss., the hilltop town less than a mile across the river that is quickly becoming an expatriate community for hundreds seeking higher ground.

As floodwaters and tensions rise in this scenic stretch of the Mississippi Valley, an informal exodus takes place in Vidalia, as neighborhoods empty and businesses relocate to higher ground on the opposite side of the river.

Call it a hardened sensibility to the powerful forces at play. Those who have lived along the river for generations are distinctly in tune with the rhythms of nature. And this year, nature said Vidalia should flee.

“She’s mean right now; she’s just treacherously mean,” said lifelong Vidalia resident Vicki Torrey, reflecting on the river. “And with our officials, I’m afraid. I’m afraid that Mother Nature is just gonna outwit them.”

Like many in Vidalia, Torrey essentially camps out in her home, after moving nearly every stick of furniture across the river to storage on higher ground. She and her husband still have their bed, refrigerator and two uncomfortable chairs.

Torrey’s dogs know something is awry, being without their usual beds for weeks now.

The migration across the Mississippi has happened during past floods, but never to the same extent as this year. Storage spaces in a 50-mile radius of Natchez are filled to the brim.

Short-term leases on apartments and houses on high ground have been popular, and the supply is dwindling.

“There’s a lot of ‘just in case’ preparation going on,” said Natchez real estate broker Glenn Green. “The supply has pretty much been used up. People are just asking favors of friends at this point.”

The differences in landscape between Natchez and Vidalia are the product of a geological anomaly along this stretch of the river that has played out over thousands of years.

Huff Po (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/18/mississippi-river-flooding-two-towns-different-fates_n_863358.html)

JB
05-18-2011, 07:06 PM
I've been kind-of-sort-of following this via the late local news. It's intriguing.

Any CUers have family or friends affected?

djones520
05-18-2011, 07:10 PM
I live 20 miles from the river, but we've had no issues this far north.

JB
05-18-2011, 07:13 PM
I live 20 miles from the river, but we've had no issues this far north.How about ever?

I was watching them open a couple floodgates and just thought "damn, I hope this doesn't happen all that often".

djones520
05-18-2011, 07:19 PM
How about ever?

I was watching them open a couple floodgates and just thought "damn, I hope this doesn't happen all that often".

I don't think this region is too troubled. Last time I flew in we kinda traced the river up, and you'll notice that about a mile inland is a massive berm that's probably 50 feet high or so. There was a few buildings in that region, but for the most part it was pretty open country. That was on the Illinois side. The St. Louis side I'm not so sure about.

lacarnut
05-18-2011, 11:07 PM
I live about 5 miles from downtown Baton Rouge and at one of the highest elevations in the city. So, no worries here.

PoliCon
05-18-2011, 11:18 PM
The whole notion of flood one area to save another stinks too much of politics for my tastes.

lacarnut
05-19-2011, 12:17 AM
The whole notion of flood one area to save another stinks too much of politics for my tastes.

The people that live in these low lying areas that will be flooded know the dangers, and the government informs them of such each and every year. As usual you do not know what you are talking about because this policy was set in STONE in 1928 after the great flood of 27 by the CONGRESS.

PoliCon
05-19-2011, 01:43 AM
The people that live in these low lying areas that will be flooded know the dangers, and the government informs them of such each and every year. As usual you do not know what you are talking about because this policy was set in STONE in 1928 after the great flood of 27 by the CONGRESS.

http://www.examiner.com/architecture-design-in-national/does-intentional-flooding-of-the-cajun-country-violate-the-constitution

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/05/14/eveningnews/main20062948.shtml

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2011-05-18-Army-Corps-of-Engineers-hurt-Missourians_n.htm

djones520
05-19-2011, 10:41 AM
http://www.examiner.com/architecture-design-in-national/does-intentional-flooding-of-the-cajun-country-violate-the-constitution

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/05/14/eveningnews/main20062948.shtml

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2011-05-18-Army-Corps-of-Engineers-hurt-Missourians_n.htm

Your point?

This was the plan. Has been the plan for decades. Just as he said.

Starbuck
05-19-2011, 11:44 AM
We were in Vidalia, LA about 2 weeks ago. We took a "drive-about" vacation, and I wanted to follow the Atchafalaya River basin from its head where it joins the Red River on south to Morgan City. We knew it was all going to be flooded. Everyone did.

Living in Vidalia would be tough right now. There is a residential area right up next to the levee, and I mean right up close. You could look out your window and have to look up a little to see the top of the levee. By now you would have to look up to see the level on the Mississippi River on the other side of the levee. That's unnerving to me.
I had wanted to take LA15 south to follow the river, but it was blocked off already, so I didn't get to see the Morganza spillway.
We finally stayed at a B&B in New Iberia for three days and visited the swamps and Bayou Teche. I think that whole area is absolutely beautiful, and can't get enough of it. On the way home we drove through Butte LaRose, which is on the river side of the levee at Henderson. I sopped at the marina and talked to some of the folks. They knew they were doomed to be flooded; it's just a question of how bad. And as we now know, it is very, very bad.

It's funny how life just goes on right up until the last moment. I talked with a guy delivering beer to a convenience store that is surely under water by now, and watched the convicts as they worked their asses off shoring up weak sections of the all important levee.

We love our drive-about vacations. It's all America, you know.

PoliCon
05-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Your point?

This was the plan. Has been the plan for decades. Just as he said.

The plan has been there for decades - but I see nothing that states area X is always going to be flooded to save area Y.

lacarnut
05-19-2011, 10:38 PM
The plan has been there for decades - but I see nothing that states area X is always going to be flooded to save area Y.

The Corp of Eng. decides when to open the locks so your assertion that it is political is wrong. I live within 20 miles of the Amite and Comite River. People that live there know the danger of flooding. Some build their houses/camps on stilts. Those that do not will eventually get flooded. I live in this area; you do not. Like I said, the Feds warn people that live in these areas. In a couple of months, the water will recede and they will come back and rebuild. Hunting and fishing is how many Cajuns make a living so they are not going anywhere unlike the lazy scum bags in New Orleans.

PoliCon
05-19-2011, 10:46 PM
The Corp of Eng. decides when to open the locks so your assertion that it is political is wrong. I live within 20 miles of the Amite and Comite River. People that live there know the danger of flooding. Some build their houses/camps on stilts. Those that do not will eventually get flooded. I live in this area; you do not. Like I said, the Feds warn people that live in these areas. In a couple of months, the water will recede and they will come back and rebuild. Hunting and fishing is how many Cajuns make a living so they are not going anywhere unlike the lazy scum bags in New Orleans.

The whole notion of flood one area to save another stinks too much of politics for my tastes. Is what I said. I did not say it IS political - it just stinks of it. K. It can easily give the appearance of being politically motivated and if Bush were still president you can bet your ass there would be cries of politics involved.

lacarnut
05-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Is what I said. I did not say it IS political - it just stinks of it. K. It can easily give the appearance of being politically motivated and if Bush were still president you can bet your ass there would be cries of politics involved.

Only for the ones that are uneducated and those that do not live in this area.

PoliCon
05-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Only for the ones that are uneducated and those that do not live in this area.

Well given that no one with a brain is even willing to live in Louisiana . . . . you're argument is weak. :p

Rockntractor
05-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Is what I said. I did not say it IS political - it just stinks of it. K. It can easily give the appearance of being politically motivated and if Bush were still president you can bet your ass there would be cries of politics involved.

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/puzzled.jpg

lacarnut
05-20-2011, 12:57 AM
Well given that no one with a brain is even willing to live in Louisiana . . . . you're argument is weak. :p

I am glad I do not live in Shitsburg either. Best thing that ever happened there was when a LA boy named Terry Bradshaw played QB. Without him, you would be 4 super bowls short.

If I were you, I would not interject brains into the mix. Yours barely meets the minimum requirement for a union public school teacher.

PoliCon
05-20-2011, 01:23 AM
I am glad I do not live in Shitsburg either. Best thing that ever happened there was when a LA boy named Terry Bradshaw played QB. Without him, you would be 4 super bowls short. And the best thing that ever happened to Terry was he got the hell out of inbreeding central and came to the Most Livable City in America. :cool:

If I were you, I would not interject brains into the mix. Yours barely meets the minimum requirement for a union public school teacher.:rolleyes: Says the guy who is proud to live in a swamp. :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
05-20-2011, 01:24 AM
the Most Livable City in America.

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/puzzled.jpg

lacarnut
05-20-2011, 02:05 AM
And the best thing that ever happened to Terry was he got the hell out of inbreeding central and came to the Most Livable City in America.
:rolleyes: Says the guy who is proud to live in a swamp.

He got the hell out of Shitsburg with a pile a cash after his playing days were over. For a dumb ass, that was a pretty smart move. He is now living in Phoenix where all the snowbirds go. Must be hell freezing your ass off in the winter with those super high energy bills. Most livable city...I don't think so...never heard of anyone moving there to retire.:eek BTW, it is 2am EST. Don't you have a lesson plan to make or do you just fake it in class? I am beginning to think you are a janitor rather than a school teacher with the odd hours you keep and the amount of time posting during school hours. :rolleyes:

PoliCon
05-20-2011, 12:38 PM
He got the hell out of Shitsburg with a pile a cash after his playing days were over. For a dumb ass, that was a pretty smart move. He is now living in Phoenix where all the snowbirds go. Must be hell freezing your ass off in the winter with those super high energy bills. Most livable city...I don't think so...never heard of anyone moving there to retire.:eek BTW, it is 2am EST. Don't you have a lesson plan to make or do you just fake it in class? I am beginning to think you are a janitor rather than a school teacher with the odd hours you keep and the amount of time posting during school hours. :rolleyes:

You do know that Phoenix is Pittsburgh west right? :p

You do realize that it's the end of the year right and we have to have our lessons prepared over 2 weeks in advance so I'm set til next fall as far as making lessons goes. :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
05-20-2011, 01:02 PM
You do know that Phoenix is Pittsburgh west right? :p

You do realize that it's the end of the year right and we have to have our lessons prepared over 2 weeks in advance so I'm set til next fall as far as making lessons goes. :rolleyes:

So out of the nine months you work the last month you do nothing?:confused:

lacarnut
05-20-2011, 01:15 PM

Must be nice...huh

Rockntractor
05-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Must be nice...huh

It makes you wonder if they have a month to ramp up when they start again in the fall?

PoliCon
05-20-2011, 01:41 PM

Right because that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes: