PDA

View Full Version : Is Your Religion Your Financial Destiny?

linda22003
05-18-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm an Episcopalian married to a Reform Jew. We're doing just fine.

"The economic differences among the country’s various religions are strikingly large, much larger than the differences among states and even larger than those among racial groups."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/15/magazine/is-your-religion-your-financial-destiny.html?_r=1

Gingersnap
05-18-2011, 05:15 PM
I think it's interesting that the article puts much more emphasis on discrimination than it does on culture. Jews are certainly much more discriminated against than Baptists, for instance.

noonwitch
05-18-2011, 05:49 PM
It's interesting.

I'm just relieved this topic had nothing to do with the "prosperity gospel", which is one of those areas I'm having difficulty with Unity over (although they are not the only church that preaches it, and it's not a liberal vs conservative christian thing-Joel Osteen preaches it as does Pat Robertson, even if they don't use the term "prosperity gospel").

FlaGator
05-18-2011, 05:57 PM
It's interesting.

I'm just relieved this topic had nothing to do with the "prosperity gospel", which is one of those areas I'm having difficulty with Unity over (although they are not the only church that preaches it, and it's not a liberal vs conservative christian thing-Joel Osteen preaches it as does Pat Robertson, even if they don't use the term "prosperity gospel").

A study of the people who practice 'blab it and grab it' and their actual incomes should be must interesting. The only ones who seem to receive the blessings of this doctrine are the people who preach it.

JB
05-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Overall, Protestants, who together are the country’s largest religious group, are poorer than average and poorer than Catholics.Woo-hoo. Poorer in spirit and now poorer in the pocketbook.