PDA

View Full Version : CHEATERS: DC Teachers help students beat standardized tests...

megimoo
05-19-2011, 02:13 PM
D.C. schools investigate security breaches in 2011 tests

D.C. school officials are investigating 14 security breaches by students and teachers during last month's standardized testing, after throwing out last year's scores from three classrooms with "evidence or a strong suspicion of a test security violation."

Amid heightened scrutiny of the chronically troubled school system's large testing gains, the Office of the State Superintendent ordered an investigation into 18 classrooms with a suspicious number of incorrect answers erased and corrected in the 2010 testing.

While eight schools were charters, 10 belonged to D.C. Public Schools -- as did all three of the tossed-out testing rooms.

"Two classrooms had possible testing irregularities and one classroom had a confirmed case of testing impropriety," said Safiya Simmons, a spokeswoman for acting Chancellor Kaya Henderson.

School officials declined to say what transpired in the classrooms.

Two teachers were forbidden from participating in the 2011 administration of the D.C. Comprehensive Assessment System exams, while a third left the school system before the investigation was completed.
snip
A USA Today investigation put a microscope on Noyes, where in just two years, the number of students passing math on the standardized tests increased from 10 percent to 58 percent.

The schoolís dramatic improvement earned it a National Blue Ribbon award from the U.S. Department of Education. Itís an honor that was given to only 264 public schools nationwide.

But in the 2010 testing round, 80 percent of Noyes classrooms were flagged for having a suspicious number of incorrect answers erased and corrected.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/dc/2011/05/dc-schools-investigate-security-breaches-2011-tests

Articulate_Ape
05-19-2011, 02:30 PM
The most shocking part of this story to me is that DC teachers actually know enough to correctly alter the students' wrong answers.

PoliCon
05-19-2011, 02:43 PM
There is no success in math without MEMORIZING the math tables. And that's not fun or trendy so it's rarely done. :(

eagleexpress
05-19-2011, 02:50 PM
They are just teaching kids if something is hard to cheat:mad:

Arroyo_Doble
05-19-2011, 03:30 PM
There is no success in math without MEMORIZING the math tables. And that's not fun or trendy so it's rarely done. :(

Math requires practice. And practice requires homework. And homework cuts in on the students' "me" time.

PoliCon
05-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Math requires practice. And practice requires homework. And homework cuts in on the students' "me" time.

You can practice all you like - but if you don't have the fundamentals memorized - all the practice in the world won't make you good at math.

eagleexpress
05-19-2011, 03:46 PM
You can practice all you like - but if you don't have the fundamentals memorized - all the practice in the world won't make you good at math.

That is why some places need better teachers to teach the kids instead of passing them on

PoliCon
05-19-2011, 04:05 PM
That is why some places need better teachers to teach the kids instead of passing them on

AH! But the curriculum does not allow teachers to do rote memorization of math tables because it's racist or it's not progressive enough. I worked at an after school center in the city of Pittsburgh helping kids with their homework all through college and the biggest problem we faced on a daily basis was kids not knowing their math tables. Not just not knowing their multiplication and division tables - not knowing their addition and subtraction tables. :mad: I got the chance to question one teacher about it and she was told that they would absorb those facts as time went on and that she was not allowed to drill her students in the math tables. :mad:

enslaved1
05-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Right now, teachers sole goal is to teach the kids how to pass the standardized tests. If it ain't on the test, they don't teach it. The pressure on the teachers to keep those scores up, since it's the primary measurement of their success or failure. I'm surprised these cases aren't a dime a dozen.

PoliCon
05-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Right now, teachers sole goal is to teach the kids how to pass the standardized tests. If it ain't on the test, they don't teach it. The pressure on the teachers to keep those scores up, since it's the primary measurement of their success or failure. I'm surprised these cases aren't a dime a dozen.

Except that that is not true at all.

Madisonian
05-19-2011, 08:34 PM
The most shocking part of this story to me is that DC teachers actually know enough to correctly alter the students' wrong answers.

That was the give away. Before the teachers corrections, 73% would have passed.

Speedy
05-19-2011, 08:43 PM

I taught a GED class in prison and I did not believe in tables or memorization. I taught concepts. If you know the concept behind solving an equation, you can solve it no matter what the numbers may be.

PoliCon
05-19-2011, 08:46 PM
I taught a GED class in prison and I did not believe in tables or memorization. I taught concepts. If you know the concept behind solving an equation, you can solve it no matter what the numbers may be.

concepts are useless with out the ability to perform basic math.

Speedy
05-19-2011, 09:25 PM

Concepts work with basic math also. If you know why 1 + 1 is 2, you know why 30 + 97 is 127.

NJCardFan
05-19-2011, 09:32 PM
What we need is more gubment!! Get the gubment involved!

Odysseus
05-19-2011, 09:42 PM
They are just teaching kids if something is hard to cheat:mad:
Which means that they were preparing them for careers in Washington.

That was the give away. Before the teachers corrections, 73% would have passed.

LOL!

enslaved1
05-21-2011, 01:11 AM
Except that that is not true at all.

My wife is a special ed teacher who has worked now in 3 different school districts in two states and different schools in a couple of those districts. My mother retired from teaching last year, I have done some substitute teaching, and I have three kids who are/have been in public schools. The test scores are the goal. Some multicultural fertilizer slips in, but the test scores are the prime goal. And if this were twitter, I'd add a #friendlydebate tag. :cool:

lacarnut
05-21-2011, 01:35 AM
My wife is a special ed teacher who has worked now in 3 different school districts in two states and different schools in a couple of those districts. My mother retired from teaching last year, I have done some substitute teaching, and I have three kids who are/have been in public schools. The test scores are the goal. Some multicultural fertilizer slips in, but the test scores are the prime goal. And if this were twitter, I'd add a #friendlydebate tag. :cool:

My ex is a special ed teacher and the goal is to teach kids to pass the Leap Test in the 3rd thru the 7th grade.

Starbuck
05-21-2011, 04:56 AM
My daughter is a special ed teacher. My son in law a chemistry teacher. They both tell me that "teaching the test" has become the default position.
And the students have become empowered. They now threaten to "flunk that test and get rid of you".

NCLB should be repealed. The Department of Education closed. It was better when states took responsibility themselves.

PoliCon
05-21-2011, 09:33 PM

That only ends up being the case in schools that are failing at these tests. When the kids are held to a higher standard they out perform these tests and the teachers are not teaching to the tests. In drastically failing schools such as DC they use the tests as an excuse to justify their piss poor teaching methods. Maybe my experience is different because of the subject matter - I don't know. But it seems to me that most of the time when people cry about having to teach the tests it's because they are not meeting the proficiency goals set by the tests.

ETA - As for special ed - they SHOULD be focused on giving these kids the skills to be able to pass these basic proficiency tests.

Articulate_Ape
05-21-2011, 10:36 PM

It's "without", teach. :p

PoliCon
05-21-2011, 10:41 PM
It's "without", teach. :p

oops. :o

Let me express my deepest remorse in proper Irish-Gaelic - Pog ma thoin! :cool:

Articulate_Ape
05-21-2011, 10:49 PM
oops. :o

Let me express my deepest remorse in proper Irish-Gaelic - Pog ma thoin! :cool:

Ya putz. :p

PoliCon
05-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Ya putz. :p

Alter kakher :p

enslaved1
05-22-2011, 02:53 AM
That only ends up being the case in schools that are failing at these tests. When the kids are held to a higher standard they out perform these tests and the teachers are not teaching to the tests. In drastically failing schools such as DC they use the tests as an excuse to justify their piss poor teaching methods. Maybe my experience is different because of the subject matter - I don't know. But it seems to me that most of the time when people cry about having to teach the tests it's because they are not meeting the proficiency goals set by the tests.

ETA - As for special ed - they SHOULD be focused on giving these kids the skills to be able to pass these basic proficiency tests.

Most schools failing under NCLB (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/10/education/10education.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&sq=no%20child%20left%20behind%20&st=cse&scp=3)

So are these 80% just all bad schools or what?

You have a point about the worst schools and some about teachers just not meeting the goals. My problem is that the tests, especially now under NCLB, move teachers away from actually teaching the hows and whys or critical thinking skills, and just teaching how to answer things on the tests. And on the special ed side, my wife does a lot of inter-related work with the non-sped classes, and most of her horror stories come from the regular ed side. Her class's AZ tests had some scores higher than some of the regular ed classes, because she works a lot on teaching those skills to get these kids to a place where they can be productive.

It's very similar to the Dems problem trying to solve the budget problems. Short term and using tunnel vision, raising taxes generates more direct funds. Short term and using similar tunnel vision, tests and standard scores are good ways to make sure kids are learning what they need. Using broader, long term thought, cutting taxes ends up generating more federal income via more investments, more people working, more people spending money and making money, paying more taxes. Using the same thought, teaching kids skills will result in them being able to pass the tests with no problem, but it's too indirect for administrators and politicians to figure out.

PoliCon
05-22-2011, 11:28 AM
The tests aren't the problem - how administrations are trying to meet the challenge is the problem. Look - it's no secret what ever that American education standards have been slipping - no plummeting - in the last century. Used to be that kids were taught critical thinking skills at a very high standard. Now - not so much.

Odysseus
05-22-2011, 01:49 PM
The tests aren't the problem - how administrations are trying to meet the challenge is the problem. Look - it's no secret what ever that American education standards have been slipping - no plummeting - in the last century. Used to be that kids were taught critical thinking skills at a very high standard. Now - not so much.

The problems with American education are pretty much a microcosm of the problems with American society as a whole. We don't teach history, because we cannot agree on it (our elites disdain it, and cherrypick the bad in order to discredit the whole). Civics is no longer emphasized, with the result that fewer and fewer Americans understand the mechanics of our government. English language skills have been downgraded in importance because of multiculturalism and the assumption that expecting immigrants to learn and be proficient in English is somehow "racist". Math and science require disciplined acquisition and memorization of basic facts, but trendy educational theories deride things like rote memorization. Public employee unions have turned the schools into lucrative contractual money pits, but are indifferent to learning. Failure to enforce standards of conduct make many classrooms dangerous, while the imposition of mindless zero tolerance rules make intelligent governance impossible. Illegal immigrants make up significant numbers of students in many school districts, and they bring increased poverty and poorer skills to the classroom, which means that they require more attention and programs at the expense of everyone else. A therapeutic model of behavioral issues has resulted in a massive loss of discipline in the classroom, an explosion of special ed programs (which are far more lucrative for unions and bureaucracies) and widespread use of drugs to regulate behavior. And, while most parents do the right things by their kids, there are enough who don't, and who send them to school without the social skills, attitude or focus necessary to succeed, and then refuse to take responsibility for it.

If you fix America, you fix the schools, and vice versa.

PoliCon
05-22-2011, 09:56 PM
The problems with American education are pretty much a microcosm of the problems with American society as a whole. We don't teach history, because we cannot agree on it (our elites disdain it, and cherrypick the bad in order to discredit the whole). Civics is no longer emphasized, with the result that fewer and fewer Americans understand the mechanics of our government. English language skills have been downgraded in importance because of multiculturalism and the assumption that expecting immigrants to learn and be proficient in English is somehow "racist". Math and science require disciplined acquisition and memorization of basic facts, but trendy educational theories deride things like rote memorization. Public employee unions have turned the schools into lucrative contractual money pits, but are indifferent to learning. Failure to enforce standards of conduct make many classrooms dangerous, while the imposition of mindless zero tolerance rules make intelligent governance impossible. Illegal immigrants make up significant numbers of students in many school districts, and they bring increased poverty and poorer skills to the classroom, which means that they require more attention and programs at the expense of everyone else. A therapeutic model of behavioral issues has resulted in a massive loss of discipline in the classroom, an explosion of special ed programs (which are far more lucrative for unions and bureaucracies) and widespread use of drugs to regulate behavior. And, while most parents do the right things by their kids, there are enough who don't, and who send them to school without the social skills, attitude or focus necessary to succeed, and then refuse to take responsibility for it.

If you fix America, you fix the schools, and vice versa.

exactly.

PoliCon
05-23-2011, 12:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

megimoo
05-23-2011, 01:48 AM
Alter kakher :p
You spell yiddish like a goyishe kop...Its Alter Kocker .

PoliCon
05-23-2011, 01:54 AM

says who? Google? :rolleyes: This is what happens when you let google do your thinking for you.

Odysseus
05-23-2011, 12:04 PM

says who? Google? :rolleyes: This is what happens when you let google do your thinking for you.

Oy... Such a thing you boys say to each other. I offered you the chance to convert, and you declined, so stop with the Yiddishisms. Calm down and go have a nice knosh. :D

PoliCon
05-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Oy... Such a thing you boys say to each other. I offered you the chance to convert, and you declined, so stop with the Yiddishisms. Calm down and go have a nice knosh. :D

Convert? I don't need to convert. Mother is a Jewess. I'm born to it. :p

PoliCon
05-23-2011, 10:22 PM

Is it my fault this Meshugeneh thinks he knows yiddish? :rolleyes:

Odysseus
05-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Convert? I don't need to convert. Mother is a Jewess. I'm born to it. :p
That you are. It's a matriarchal link, so you're one of the tribe. Eight more and we can have a minyan. :D

Is it my fault this Meshugeneh thinks he knows yiddish? :rolleyes:

Feh. He's trying. So, nu?