PDA

View Full Version : Another great dog story

Starbuck
05-20-2011, 09:22 AM
http://video.foxnews.com/thumbnails/051911/640/360/dog_640.jpg

It was the picture that attracted me. But the story of how this dog and her person mastered themselves is among the most compelling I have read.....

In the fall of 2008, Marty Kihn had reached rock bottom: He was drunk most of the time, and his wife had left him, but he wasnít completely alone. He had his Bernese mountain dog named Hola, although she wasnít the best of company.

This 85-pound canine had no problem tackling strangers, chewing up new furniture and running after drug dealers in their Washington Heights neighborhood in New York City.

Holaís behavior was so atrocious, it was one of the reasons Kihnís wife left him. Well, that and the fact that he was an alcoholic.............

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/05/18/bad-dog-helped-man-kick-bad-addiction/#ixzz1Mtm8WET4

Gingersnap
05-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Very cool story! A good book about this kind of thing is 'Pack of Two' by Caroline Knapp. She overcame her own substance abuse issues with the help of a dog. :)

SaintLouieWoman
05-20-2011, 02:56 PM
What a good story. The Canine Good Citizen awards a green patch. It's hard work but well worth it for the dog and owner's sake.

My first greyhound passed the test. Everyone cheered, as Jessie was cat obsessed. He was one of the greys with a high prey drive, so knew that he needed training.

The story of the guy overcoming his addiction and the dog learning good behavior is truly inspirational. Dogs are indeed the best companions (now expect to hear from all the folks who prefer cats). :D

Rcd
05-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Simply put, dogs rule. My wife and I keep 3 at all times. Sadly when we lose one, we'll go to a shelter and we ask for the dog no one wants. They need homes the most.

Hawkgirl
05-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Simply put, dogs rule. My wife and I keep 3 at all times. Sadly when we lose one, we'll go to a shelter and we ask for the dog no one wants. They need homes the most.

That is so awesome of you.

I want a dog, but I don't have the time to dedicate to one right now. Maybe in a few years when I buy a house with a big yard. I have a cat right now. I want my daughter to develop empathy for animals from an early age...I will go to a local rescue group or shelter when I am ready.