PDA

View Full Version : $2M Michigan lottery winner defends use of food stamps

RobJohnson
05-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Leroy Fick, 59, of Auburn won $2 million in the state lottery TV show "Make Me Rich!" last June. But the state's Department of Human Services determined he was still eligible for food stamps, Fick's attorney, John Wilson of Midland, said Tuesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_localdtw/20110518/ts_yblog_localdtw/2m-michigan-lottery-winner-defends-use-of-food-stamps

fettpett
05-20-2011, 04:14 PM
this is pretty political for the lounge...

this was a complete fuck up by the state, they told him he qualified, Synder said yesterday that they are working on fixing it.

eagleexpress
05-20-2011, 04:38 PM
He should have to pay back any money given too him plus inttrest!
That makes me so mad their are people who really need the money he was given!:mad:

fettpett
05-20-2011, 04:52 PM
That makes me so mad their are people who really need the money he was given!:mad:

it's not his fault really, it's the State's stupid fault, DHS here in Michigan is so screwed up it's not funny

pyackog
05-20-2011, 04:59 PM
If Michigan doesn't count lottery winnings as income, does that mean he won't be paying income tax on the $2mil either?

SaintLouieWoman
05-20-2011, 06:57 PM
If Michigan doesn't count lottery winnings as income, does that mean he won't be paying income tax on the $2mil either?

Maybe they won't make him pay state income taxes either (do they have state income taxes in Michigan? I suspect they do.)

The feds will always grab your cash. They're relentless.

Novaheart
05-20-2011, 07:04 PM

If he won $2million dollars isn't he going to pay 35% of the lump sum or 28% of the annuity?

I'm guessing he'll pay more in taxes this year than he has ever collected in welfare.

fettpett
05-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Maybe they won't make him pay state income taxes either (do they have state income taxes in Michigan? I suspect they do.)

The feds will always grab your cash. They're relentless.

yes we do, I'm not sure about the taxes part on the lottery winnings

Novaheart
05-20-2011, 07:36 PM
yes we do, I'm not sure about the taxes part on the lottery winnings

I still think something is messed up.

Is the issue here that the lottery winnings were income last year, but they are an asset now? I can see how me MIGHT fall under income thresholds, but it's hard to imagine that 2 million dollars, even in today's economy isn't earning more than the income threshold.

fettpett
05-20-2011, 07:55 PM

Is the issue here that the lottery winnings were income last year, but they are an asset now? I can see how me MIGHT fall under income thresholds, but it's hard to imagine that 2 million dollars, even in today's economy isn't earning more than the income threshold.

from what I understand, the guy reported the winnings last July, DHS goes through all their stuff and told him he was fine, remember Graholm was Governor and wouldn't have cared anyway...under her DHS as became increasingly pathetic and less helpful and their only major change was from Family Independence Agency to Department or Human Services wasting a buttload of money the state didn't have.

I know people who cant' get any help whatsoever from the state even though they need it, while people like this guy get all kinds help. (my father in law had a massive heart attack and wasn't working yet they couldn't get any help).

Thankfully Synder is doing something to fix it

pyackog
05-20-2011, 07:56 PM

If he was on food stamps presumably he's not used to having a lot of money and may not know what to do with it. He may have it all sitting in a checking account somewhere.

RobJohnson
05-21-2011, 06:32 AM
this is pretty political for the lounge...

this was a complete fuck up by the state, they told him he qualified, Synder said yesterday that they are working on fixing it.

Maybe you should be a mod? :p

fettpett
05-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Maybe you should be a mod? :p

no thanks, I'm just going on past experience with other stuff :D