PDA

View Full Version : What Netanyahu Did Today

megimoo
05-21-2011, 01:39 AM
Has there ever been a moment like the one Benjamin Netanyahu had today following his meeting with President Obama?

I can’t think of one. When has a president ever made a joint appearance with the leader of an ally in the wake of a controversial policy proposal, only to have that ally push back against him publicly? Netanyahu’s powerful—and surprisingly graceful, considering the context—remarks can be read in full here.

The only moment that even remotely compares wasn’t a diplomatic one; it was when Elie Wiesel, during the dustup over Ronald Reagan’s visit to the Bitburg cemetary in West Germany in 1985, was given a Medal of Freedom and with beautiful understatement said to the president, “This place is not your place.”

We got a glimpse of the Bibi that so electrified the world in the late 1980s and early 1990s when he was serving as Israel’s chief spokesman in the English language in this stunning passage:

We’ve been around for almost 4,000 years. We have experienced struggle and suffering like no other people. We’ve gone through expulsions and pogroms and massacres and the murder of millions.

But I can say that even at the dearth of — even at the nadir of the valley of death, we never lost hope and we never lost our dream of re-establishing a sovereign state in our ancient homeland, the land of Israel. And now it falls on my shoulders as the prime minister of Israel at a time of extraordinary instability and uncertainty in the Middle East to work with you to fashion a peace that will ensure Israel’s security and will not jeopardize its survival.

I take this responsibility with pride but with great humility, because, as I told you in our conversation, we don’t have a lot of margin for error and because, Mr. President, history will not give the Jewish people another chance.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2011/05/20/what-netanyahu-did-today/

Articulate_Ape
05-21-2011, 02:14 AM
Bibi Netanyahu is ten times the man Barry Soetoro is. Obama has official surpassed Jimmy Carter on the failure scale. And that's saying something.

Molon Labe
05-21-2011, 02:18 AM
Bibi Netanyahu is ten times the man Barry Soetoro is. Obama has official surpassed Jimmy Carter on the failure scale. And that's saying something.

True....and how far have we sunk when another foreign leader speaks down to and lectures our President

Articulate_Ape
05-21-2011, 02:27 AM
True....and how far have we sunk when another foreign leader speaks down to and lectures our President

A captain's weak knees only sink a ship upon which no able legs will stand.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
05-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Sometimes it seems like some have more loyalty to Israel than they do to America.

BadCat
05-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Sometimes it seems like some have more loyalty to Israel than they do to America.

Where do you get that little fantasy? Break into your boyfriends ecstasy stash?

Rcd
05-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Netenyahu took boy Obama to school yesterday. Obama is not half the man that Bibi is. What a sad sack.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
05-21-2011, 12:14 PM
It just seems like a blind devotion to Israel, or any other nation--that an ally is always right, and should never be questioned, and should never be taken to task--is a dangerous policy to have. My view on foreign policy is more in line with theory of realpolitik.

I feel our views on the entire middle east, strategically, should be given a careful evaluation. Personally I feel we should've never been in the Middle East to begin with, outside of securing Israel's independence. After 1948, we should've left the peoles of the Promised Land to duke it out for themselves. I think both sides of the conflict would love if we butt the hell out of their disputes, and we'd be better off for it financially and in terms of national security.

namvet
05-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Obama wants the jews dead. he knew ahead of time that Netenyahu was gonna turn the deal down. want he really wanted was to inflame the crisis. which he did. now the raghead are praying to the west

Rcd
05-21-2011, 12:28 PM
It just seems like a blind devotion to Israel, or any other nation--that an ally is always right, and should never be questioned, and should never be taken to task--is a dangerous policy to have. My view on foreign policy is more in line with theory of realpolitik.

I feel our views on the entire middle east, strategically, should be given a careful evaluation. Personally I feel we should've never been in the Middle East to begin with, outside of securing Israel's independence. After 1948, we should've left the peoles of the Promised Land to duke it out for themselves. I think both sides of the conflict would love if we butt the hell out of their disputes, and we'd be better off for it financially and in terms of national security.

Israel could own the M.E. if it chose. Israel has shown remarkable restraint and is our only ally in the area, to abandon them would be folly at best and bordering on delusional, something that would not surprise me if the Obama did just that.

fettpett
05-21-2011, 12:29 PM

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_involving_Israel

what war did the US get involved with?

MrsSmith
05-22-2011, 07:03 AM

Yes, of course, abandoning the only working democracy in the Middle East would be our best solution. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Constitutionally Speaking
05-22-2011, 10:03 AM

This makes what, the 4th or 5th other leader to do so?

AmPat
05-22-2011, 10:48 AM

You have a very narrow view of the damage O Blah Blah did to our reputation as a country with his speech. He did not have the permission or support of the majority of this country's viewpoint on this issue, nor did he seek it in his arrogance.

He threw an ally under the bus in a calculated moment as a surprise attack. O Blah Blah is also our Chief Diplomat as POTUS. He embarrassed a long time ally with this surprise attack, two things a diplomat with any experience or brain would NEVER do. Our Idiot in Chief is obviously not an Israel supporter and made a huge mistake by publicly acting like the arrogant ass that he is. You believe that Israel is the problem when Mr Netanyahu was reacting to the idiocy of our Idiot-In-Chief, instead of finding fault with the moron who fired the first volley.

Our Idiot-In-Chief is not "questioning" anything, he is siding with Israel's enemies against OUR ally. He started this mess and he should be the one "questioned," not Israel.