PDA

View Full Version : Man attacked by pit bulls in Kirkland park(graphic)

MountainMan
05-22-2011, 03:44 AM
KIRKLAND, Wash. - A leisurely Saturday afternoon in the park quickly mutated into a real-life horror scene when three pit bulls attacked a man and his German shepherd without warning, police said.

During the unprovoked attack, the man pulled out his concealed weapon and opened fire, hitting one of the pit bulls and scaring off the others.

Komo News link (http://www.komonews.com/news/local/122396329.html)

Hmmmm....pit bulls are such lovely animals. :rolleyes:

jendf
05-22-2011, 04:06 AM

Here we go again.:D

They're people dogs. As in they like to snack on people.

fettpett
05-22-2011, 09:11 AM
not this bullshit again:rolleyes:

dogs fighting....who would have thunk it:confused::rolleyes:

PoliCon
05-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Dogs are what people train them to be and how they are trained to behave.

SaintLouieWoman
05-22-2011, 11:51 AM
And dogs with the potential to be aggressive need to be properly handled by their owners---not let alone off leash to attack other dogs or people.

It doesn't have to be a pit bull to attack. My first greyhound was badly injured by a springer spaniel that had "spaniel rage". The dog had attacked other dogs before and was left alone outside in the yard that had an invisible fence. The problem is the fence never stopped the little beast. To compound the problem no one was home. My dog suffered horribly because of that attack.

It's generally the owners that are the cause of many of these problems. Pet ownership goes along with RESPONSIBILITY!

Novaheart
05-22-2011, 03:19 PM

I used to think that Rottweilers were dogs for junkyards and drug dealers. Then I adopted Portia and she was a delight. I made sure my niece was here for the adoption visit and she was very gentle with the six year old girl. Then, all 85 pounds of Rottie jumped in my lap. She was also a ferocious household guardian. She despised school busses, air brakes, tow trucks, and my lawn service man (which turned out to be a good instinct). She was gentle with my mother's toy poodle, and bossy to my mom's greyhound. She was everybody's friend at the dog park, but held her own in the two battles she had (one presa one pitt bull).

The only pitt bull I have ever have ever seen be mean at the dog park was a young male who had little or no training, and when he attacked Portia, it was obvious that his owner was afraid of him. Yes, if I had had a gun I would have shot that dog, but instead I whacked the hell out of him until he let go of Portia's throat, and then she turned around and let him have it.

Other than that, every pitt bull I have ever met at the dog park was a big old sweetheart or minded his own business.

Starbuck
05-22-2011, 03:22 PM
I see it a little differently. People are not entirely of their own making and neither are dogs. Some dogs will kill.

From 1978 thru 1998 there were 238 deaths caused by dog bite. 66 of these were caused by Pitt Bulls with Rotweilers trailing a distant second at 39. We're talking people killed here, not just bitten.
http://dogbitelaw.com/dog-bite-statistics/the-breeds-most-likely-to-kill.html

Novaheart
05-22-2011, 03:41 PM
I see it a little differently. People are not entirely of their own making and neither are dogs. Some dogs will kill.

From 1978 thru 1998 there were 238 deaths caused by dog bite. 66 of these were caused by Pitt Bulls with Rotweilers trailing a distant second at 39. We're talking people killed here, not just bitten.

And if you kill all the pitts and rotties then the people who misuse these dogs will pick two other breeds to replace them.

Novaheart
05-22-2011, 03:45 PM

I find this statement as suspect as when gun control fans refer to "gun deaths". It's too general. All gun deaths are not murders. I suspect that all fatal dog bites didn't happen to innocent bystanders either.

MountainMan
05-22-2011, 03:56 PM
And if you kill all the pitts and rotties then the people who misuse these dogs will pick two other breeds to replace them.

But there are certain breeds that need special monitoring if they are to continue being a viable breed and "pit bulls" meet that criteria.

Starbuck
05-22-2011, 05:15 PM
But there are certain breeds that need special monitoring if they are to continue being a viable breed and "pit bulls" meet that criteria.

And that's my position. I have little patience with dogs who will bite, and none at all with those who kill. Many of the cases (read the link) were cases where the victims knew the dogs and had previously played with them.

"Adopt other breeds"? What, like a Shi Tzu? Read the evidence. Pitts and Rotts who kill people were not "misused". In MOST cases they were pets.

I find this statement as suspect as when gun control fans refer to "gun deaths". It's too general. All gun deaths are not murders. I suspect that all fatal dog bites didn't happen to innocent bystanders either.
Gun Death? Really? You compare a gun, fully under control and operated by a human being,with a dog? You dismiss the fact that fully 1/4 of people killed are killed by Pit Bulls, equating it to a statistic that may show 1/4 of all people are killed by, say, Smith & Wessons?
And under what circumstances SHOULD a person be killed by dog?

djones520
05-22-2011, 05:29 PM
And that's my position. I have little patience with dogs who will bite, and none at all with those who kill. Many of the cases (read the link) were cases where the victims knew the dogs and had previously played with them.

"Adopt other breeds"? What, like a Shi Tzu? Read the evidence. Pitts and Rotts who kill people were not "misused". In MOST cases they were pets.

Gun Death? Really? You compare a gun, fully under control and operated by a human being,with a dog? You dismiss the fact that fully 1/4 of people killed are killed by Pit Bulls, equating it to a statistic that may show 1/4 of all people are killed by, say, Smith & Wessons?
And under what circumstances SHOULD a person be killed by dog?

The link you provided shows a case where a Pomeranian mauled an infant to death.

Large dogs are going to inherently do more bodily harm when they bite. They have stronger jaws, so it's a side effect. Because of that, they will get more attention. Yesterday my wife was bitten by a Boston Terrier. It left some pretty signficant bruising, and she was still feeling pain later that night.

Most attacks like that will go unreported (as did ours). If we were to have clear statistics of ALL attacks, then I believe it would be extremely likely that the odds would greatly shift. I've been the victim of several small dog attacks. I've witnessed plenty of others. I've never once seen a large dog attack anyone.

And I don't at all find it hard to believe that most people are in the same camp as I.

Starbuck
05-22-2011, 06:25 PM
The link you provided shows a case where a Pomeranian mauled an infant to death.

Large dogs are going to inherently do more bodily harm when they bite. They have stronger jaws, so it's a side effect. Because of that, they will get more attention. Yesterday my wife was bitten by a Boston Terrier. It left some pretty signficant bruising, and she was still feeling pain later that night.

Most attacks like that will go unreported (as did ours). If we were to have clear statistics of ALL attacks, then I believe it would be extremely likely that the odds would greatly shift. I've been the victim of several small dog attacks. I've witnessed plenty of others. I've never once seen a large dog attack anyone.

And I don't at all find it hard to believe that most people are in the same camp as I.

Yeah, in this case we're talking about dogs that kill, so including all dog bites changes the subject. Almost none of the recognized breeds will kill. Clearly, Pitt Bulls will.

fettpett
05-22-2011, 06:29 PM
my son was bit by a Rot back in October...Do I blame the breed? no, I blame the fucking idiot that owned the dogs and couldn't keep the animals on a lease, particularly since these dogs had bitten before and found out the guy's dogs had bitten before

djones520
05-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Yeah, in this case we're talking about dogs that kill, so including all dog bites changes the subject . Almost none of the recognized breeds will kill.

And they kill because of the inherent strength within the breed. If you took a Chihuahua and gave it the size and strength of a pit bull, then do you doubt we'd be seeing similar numbers from them?

I'd contend the dogs are no more prone to attack than any other breed. They just have more noteriety because their body allows for that damage to occur.

Rockntractor
05-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Didn't we cover this from every possible angle a week ago?:confused:
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

Starbuck
05-22-2011, 06:48 PM
And they kill because of the inherent strength within the breed. If you took a Chihuahua and gave it the size and strength of a pit bull, then do you doubt we'd be seeing similar numbers from them?
I have no doubt that you could breed a killer Chihuahua. That's my point. Pitt Bulls have been bred to fight and kill. Chihuahua's have not. If they were, they would be unwelcome.
Pit bulls have been bred specifically to be aggressive. They're descended from the now- extinct old English "bulldogge," a big, tenacious breed used in the brutal early- nineteenth-century sport of bull baiting, in which rowdy spectators watched dogs tear apart an enraged bull.
http://www.city-journal.org/html/9_2_scared_of_pit.html

I'd contend the dogs are no more prone to attack than any other breed. They just have more noteriety because their body allows for that damage to occur.

Then why are there only 7 St Bernards on the list?

You may answer if you like, and I promise I'll read it, but I'm done.
When I get around Pitt Bulls I will always be careful. I'm sure you will take care of yourself, too.:)

fettpett
05-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Didn't we cover this from every possible angle a week ago?:confused:
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

yep, and it's the same people making the same dumb arguments about pits and other "dangerous" breeds

SaintLouieWoman
05-23-2011, 01:00 AM
I have no doubt that you could breed a killer Chihuahua. That's my point. Pitt Bulls have been bred to fight and kill. Chihuahua's have not. If they were, they would be unwelcome.
Pit bulls have been bred specifically to be aggressive. They're descended from the now- extinct old English "bulldogge," a big, tenacious breed used in the brutal early- nineteenth-century sport of bull baiting, in which rowdy spectators watched dogs tear apart an enraged bull.
http://www.city-journal.org/html/9_2_scared_of_pit.html

You may answer if you like, and I promise I'll read it, but I'm done.
When I get around Pitt Bulls I will always be careful. I'm sure you will take care of yourself, too.:)
Some breeds can be bred to kill, like the pit bull. The greyhounds don't seem to have the ability to learn to kill (other than those with a high prey drive getting a bunny or a cat). Generally, the greys have a low incidence of biting. They certainly have a large enough jaw and are large dogs.

Sadly, the greys usually don't defend themselves when attacked. My first grey was attacked by a much smaller springer spaniel. He did nothing to defend himself. My ex did nothing to defend him either, one of the 1001 reasons he was my ex.

A friend of mine had her greyhound attacked by a pit bull. She's a small woman and never will know how she got the pit bull off her dog, other than the fact that she probably turned into a creature from hell defending her baby. Her dog is a very sweet dog and is taking a long time getting the courage to go for a walk again. The poor doggie just wants to go in her fenced back yard.

Rebel Yell
05-23-2011, 10:01 AM

Because there are alot less St. Bernards than there are Pit Bulls.

BTW 200 people are killed by cows each year.

fettpett
05-23-2011, 10:16 AM
and thousands of people are killed by deer each year

Starbuck
05-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Because there are alot less St. Bernards than there are Pit Bulls.

Guess that settles that.:D

Please post number of times that cows jumped over their fence and pursued their prey. I need to know whether I should roll up the car windows when I drive by a herd of cows.:p:D

Starbuck
05-23-2011, 11:42 AM
and thousands of people are killed by deer each year
Fett?....That's just weak, man

Lewis said he fought to protect his dog and at one point it appeared he may have scared off the DEER. The owner of the DEER, a Seattle man, also tried to pull the DEER off the German shepherd.

But the three suddenly came back - and this time they attacked both the German shepherd and the owner.

Rebel Yell
05-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Guess that settles that.:D

Please post number of times that cows jumped over their fence and pursued their prey. I need to know whether I should roll up the car windows when I drive by a herd of cows.:p:D

I've had to dive throught a fence to get away from a cow. So, yeah, they can come after you.

Pulpfishin
05-23-2011, 12:05 PM

By your logic then:
A Labrador retriever has to be taught to fetch and swim?
A German Short Hair Pointer has to be taught to point?
A Beagle has to be taught to chase rabbits?

And I guess all dogs must be taught to breed too?

There is NO denying instinctual drive in dogs, or any animal for that matter.

Training is only an amendment to the animals inherit breed traits.

Pulpfishin
05-23-2011, 12:16 PM

Interesting point you bring up there.

If you know anything about cattle, you will know that most dairy breeds are far more aggressive than beef breeds.

As I have always stated, YOU CAN'T TRAIN OUT INSTICT!

fettpett
05-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Fett?....That's just weak, man

it was a response to the cow remark.

besides how was it weak? we're talking about a breed of dogs that get a bad rap and people are bent out of shape about them.

yet an animal that actually does cause more deaths each year than all dog attacks combined get waved off as a pathetic little food source

Rebel Yell
05-23-2011, 12:54 PM
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy281/Rebel_Yell_photo/KiyaClown.jpg

I Will Eat Your Soul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pulpfishin
05-23-2011, 02:15 PM
yet an animal that actually does cause more deaths each year than all dog attacks combined get waved off as a pathetic little food source

Please provide us a link for NON-AUTO related deer attack fatality data.

To include auto/deer deaths would be considered "liberal logic" for comparison to Pit Bulls.

Rebel Yell
05-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Please provide us a link for NON-AUTO related deer attack fatality data.

To include auto/deer deaths would be considered "liberal logic" for comparison to Pit Bulls.

Run up on a deer in rut. You'll get to a car as fast as possible. Bucks are very aggressive and territorial when in rut.

Rebel Yell
05-23-2011, 02:48 PM
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. — The wandering 65-pound Pit Bull mix might have seemed menacing to some passerby, but one woman will always remember him as her “guardian angel.”
The dog, which authorities think is lost and not a stray, successfully thwarted a robbery attack on a mother and her 2-year-old son, who were held at knifepoint Monday afternoon.
The Florida woman, who has been identified by authorities simply as “Angela,” was leaving a playground with her toddler son in Port Charlotte when a man approached her in the parking lot with a knife and told her not to make any noise or sudden movements.
Angela didn’t have to do either to protect herself and her child — a dog mysteriously ran to the scene and charged the man, who quickly fled.
“I don’t think the dog physically attacked the man, but he went at him and was showing signs of aggression, just baring his teeth and growling and barking. It was clear he was trying to defend this woman,” Animal Control Lt. Brian Jones told Pet Pulse.
“I don’t know what this man’s intentions were, but it is very possible this dog saved her life.”
The exceptional part of the story, Jones said, is that the dog had never met or even seen the people it quickly jumped to defend.
“You hear about family dogs protecting their owners, but this dog had nothing to do with this woman or her kid,” Jones said. “He was like her guardian angel.”
After the alleged thief ran away, Angela quickly placed her son, Jordan, in the car and tried to drive off. Before she could, though, the dog jumped into her backseat, waiting with her for the police and animal control officers to arrive at the scene.
The dog was transported to a local shelter and if his owners don’t step forward within five days, Jones said, Angela and her family plan to adopt the savior she named “Angel.”
Animal control officers and shelter workers believe Angel is lost, and not a stray, because of his good health, sturdy weight and mild temperament.
“It’s funny, that someone’s irresponsibility could have saved someone’s life,” Jones said of Angel’s possible owners.
For Angela, it doesn’t matter where the dog came from, just that he was there when she needed him most.
“I don’t know what his [the thief's] intentions were — I don’t know why he did it, but I’m glad that — we call him Angel — I’m glad that Angel showed up because I don’t know what would have happened,” Angela told NBC2 News.

Pulpfishin
05-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Run up on a deer in rut. You'll get to a car as fast as possible. Bucks are very aggressive and territorial when in rut.

I have NEVER been approached by a deer demonstrating any aggressive tendencies.
I have been a professional hunting guide for over 20 years, with experience in Alaska, Wyoming, and Texas.
In fact, I just spent this past weekend hunting Axis Deer and Black Buck Antelope west of San Antonio.
I have spent more time in the woods during the rut than most people have ever spent hunting.
I have been eyeball to eyeball on the ground with large mature whitetails and mule deer that were FULL BLOWN, neck swollen, stinking piss covered tarsal gland RUT dozens of times!
They all ran like hell from me.
Some made it, many didn’t. (If I was bow hunting, they stood a better chance)

My point to Fett was simple.

Deer ATTACKS resulting in death are extremely rare. (Less than .1 per year)

Including auto/deer incidents is not an “apple to apples” comparison to pit bulls!

fettpett
05-23-2011, 04:12 PM
I have been a professional hunting guide for over 20 years, with experience in Alaska, Wyoming, and Texas.
In fact, I just spent this past weekend hunting Axis Deer and Black Buck Antelope west of San Antonio.
I have spent more time in the woods during the rut than most people have ever spent hunting.
I have been eyeball to eyeball on the ground with large mature whitetails and mule deer that were FULL BLOWN, neck swollen, stinking piss covered tarsal gland RUT dozens of times!

Including auto/deer incidents is not an “apple to apples” comparison to pit bulls!

it was a facetious comment, and one directed toward the cow comment

Dog attacks that result in death aren't much different, there are 31 deaths average by dog each year, sure the "majority" of them come from "pit bulls" but also from other dog breeds, including Basset Hounds, Beagle’s, Dauschund’s, Labradors, and even Golden retrievers

http://historylist.wordpress.com/2008/05/29/human-deaths-in-the-us-caused-by-animals/

Pit's are not a breed but a bunch of different breeds particularly

American pit bull terrier
American Staffordshire terrier
Staffordshire bull terrier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bulls#Breeds

if people want to be scared of a dog, be scared of wolf mixes, those are much more dangerous than any other canine

FlaGator
05-23-2011, 04:35 PM

I have never cringed in fear when approached mencingly by a Yorkie Terrier.:D

Rebel Yell
05-23-2011, 05:03 PM

I thought we were talking about domesticated animals? Get in the pen with one during rut. I have a buddy with a nice scar from a whitetail he could feed gum to from his own mouth any other time of the year.

Hawkgirl
05-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Everytime an evil pitbull thread is made...I will post this...

http://i55.tinypic.com/dyrkhc.jpg

Killer.....the cat.

Starbuck
05-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Everytime an evil pitbull thread is made...I will post this...

http://i55.tinypic.com/dyrkhc.jpg

Killer.....the cat.

Fair enough..
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8iQjWsbvQdY/TEoXGxHswnI/AAAAAAAAAMQ/t_JdoIKVltY/s1600/pitbulls_attack_50_yr+old+man.jpg

Hawkgirl
05-24-2011, 08:06 PM
Trucker, I work in a large trauma center and can out do your pic many times over.

fettpett
05-24-2011, 08:47 PM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/horrifying-vid-man-beats-pit-bull-puppy-in-nyc-elevator/

If you’re an animal-lover, this video will be hard to watch. If you’re a dog owner, this video will be enraging.

A 46-year-old New York City man was caught on camera Sunday beating a pit bull puppy inside a local elevator. WCBS-TV explains the beating:

In the video, a man police say is [Irving] Sanchez is seen walking into the elevator with a small pit bull puppy named Max. Once inside the elevator, the man is seen dragging the dog from side to side of the elevator by its leash, hurling it into the elevator walls.
Then the man leans in and hits the dog repeatedly with the handle of the leash, wielding the strap like a club.
Finally the man starts stepping on the dog and appears to kick him.
The story does contain some justice. The man was arrested and the puppy was taken to a local shelter.

THIS is the reason why pits go after people, but even after this kind of treatment many times they wont become aggressive

there is a video at the link

Hawkgirl
05-24-2011, 09:01 PM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/horrifying-vid-man-beats-pit-bull-puppy-in-nyc-elevator/

THIS is the reason why pits go after people, but even after this kind of treatment many times they wont become aggressive

there is a video at the link

I can't watch animal cruelty. I hope the man is beaten in jail by other inmates.

Rcd
05-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Fair enough..
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8iQjWsbvQdY/TEoXGxHswnI/AAAAAAAAAMQ/t_JdoIKVltY/s1600/pitbulls_attack_50_yr+old+man.jpg

What a lame response.