PDA

View Full Version : Am I phobic? Or sensible?

Novaheart
05-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Back story: Years ago I went to visit my mother in the hospital and stayed late. The doors to the West garage were locked, but there was a sign that said a security guard would drive me to my car. So I went to the desk, and the guard drove me to my car. When I went to bed that night, I started to itch. This itching came and went and a couple of days later at a regular doctor appt. I mentioned it and he said I had scabies. I was disgusted, since I thought scabies was something of a social disease. I told him the story as I have told you, and he said I probably got them in the hospital or in the security truck. I got some cream and they went away.

But now I have this fear of contact. It's not crippling. I don't fear shaking hands or accepting change from cashiers, but I fear poor people. There is an older man whom I see hobbling from the bus stop to his house a few times a week, rain or shine, and I think about offering him a ride, but I don't because of this fear of scabies. I avoid sitting on upholstered chairs in public. Anyone who looks remotely homeless causes me to keep my distance. I have ordered a number of people to stay away from me when they approach to ask for money.

Am I phobic? Or sensible?

Kay
05-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Nova would you say this might be similar to someone having
a fear of getting aides from just being around a queer? :confused:

djones520
05-22-2011, 03:53 PM

I would say that's pretty phobic.

Molon Labe
05-22-2011, 04:00 PM
I think it's a teensie weensie phobic. You had a bad experience and you have an association with it now. Not necessarily going to catch something from all poor people, but your experience has made you more....guarded.

My wife still checks her shoes every day for scorpions for finding them so often when she lived in Arizona....even though she doesn't live in the midwest anymore

Novaheart
05-22-2011, 04:03 PM

Perhaps in 1981, but not since the demographics, causes, and methods of transfer were nailed down. According to my doctor, you can get scabies by brushing up against someone or less likely sitting on a chair. By comparison, HIV requires a much more intimate encounter.

In 2011, the obsession of some with AIDS and queers is something of a function of ignorance or politics expressing itself in stupidity.

Novaheart
05-22-2011, 04:06 PM
I think it's a teensie weensie phobic. You had a bad experience and you have an association with it now. Not necessarily going to catch something from all poor people, but your experience has made you more....guarded.

My wife still checks her shoes every day for scorpions for finding them so often when she lived in Arizona....even though she doesn't live in the midwest anymore

In reading your post, it occurred to me that in 40 years, 24 of which were spent in public contact occupations, I had been contaminated once. That's a poor basis for a phobia.

djones520
05-22-2011, 04:08 PM
In reading your post, it occurred to me that in 40 years, 24 of which were spent in public contact occupations, I had been contaminated once. That's a poor basis for a phobia.

Indeed. In my near 27 years, I've never encountered it, and I've lived in some pretty nasty places all over the world.

I'd say it's one of those things you just shouldn't worry about. If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. No sense letting it get in the way of your life.

Zathras
05-22-2011, 04:08 PM

But still a phobia none the less.

Rockntractor
05-22-2011, 05:10 PM
I stay away from people with phobias, I'm afraid I might catch one.

Calypso Jones
05-22-2011, 05:27 PM
If you haven't killed anyone and eaten their body i'd say you're okay. There are people with much worse. I clean my hands after touching a grocery cart. I clean off my milk cartons if they've set in the cart. I don't kiss cats. see. there's nothing wrong with you.

megimoo
05-22-2011, 05:33 PM
You could buy a full body Contamination Suit with an helmit and claim that you work in hazmet ?
Best stay out of New York City hotels or you may pickup a full dose of body lice and Bed 8ugs to go with your scabies...Better yet, go to work for DHS and shake down those critters coming from Afghanistan and Pakistan if you want a real case of crotch rot,crabs or camel fleas....

http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/c/contamination_suit.asp

fettpett
05-22-2011, 07:53 PM

wait...since when was Arizona considered part of the Midwest?:eek:

Gingersnap
05-23-2011, 09:53 AM
It's not a phobia if it isn't disrupting your life. There are plenty of ways to help homeless people without engaging in first or second hand contact. Given the much larger population of people infected with lice, scabies, carrying bedbugs on clothing, etc., I don't think your reaction is overboard but it's probably overly cautious.

However, if it isn't degrading your life or damaging your social relationship with people you actually know, I wouldn't spend a lot of time thinking about it. ;)

Rockntractor
05-23-2011, 10:15 AM
It's not a phobia if it isn't disrupting your life. There are plenty of ways to help homeless people without engaging in first or second hand contact. Given the much larger population of people infected with lice, scabies, carrying bedbugs on clothing, etc., I don't think your reaction is overboard but it's probably overly cautious.

However, if it isn't degrading your life or damaging your social relationship with people you actually know, I wouldn't spend a lot of time thinking about it. ;)

Say's the lady with a closet full of disinfectants!:D

Gingersnap
05-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Say's the lady with a closet full of disinfectants!:D

Yeah, and I don't have lice or whatever, either.

Rockntractor
05-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Yeah, and I don't have lice or whatever, either.

I'm surprised your hair is still red with all that bleach around!:D

Novaheart
05-23-2011, 10:52 AM
If you haven't killed anyone and eaten their body i'd say you're okay. There are people with much worse. I clean my hands after touching a grocery cart. I clean off my milk cartons if they've set in the cart. I don't kiss cats. see. there's nothing wrong with you.

My mom cringes because I kiss her poodle on the tummy and let the dog lick my face. Even though Mom is her primary caregiver, I am the poodle's primary cuddler and consider her mine. I was the same way with my Rottie, I was just silly and doting on her.

Arroyo_Doble
05-23-2011, 11:06 AM
It's not a phobia; it's a rationalization.

SaintLouieWoman
05-23-2011, 11:17 AM
My mom cringes because I kiss her poodle on the tummy and let the dog lick my face. Even though Mom is her primary caregiver, I am the poodle's primary cuddler and consider her mine. I was the same way with my Rottie, I was just silly and doting on her.
Now we can be amateur shrinks. If your mom worries about contact with her poodle, maybe she's contributed to your fears of contact/scabies.

Part of it is you're being sensible. I felt that I was sensible when I carried a small bottle of hand sanitizer when I had to make sales calls to the health department in a large city, the department of communicable diseases. They had various departments with fearful diseases. I hated going there. I felt that was sensible to be careful.

I heard some really fearful stories from the employees in their correction facilities. Now I would be definitely phobic there with the close contact with people covered in lice, scabs, aids people trying to spit at and bite the employees.

noonwitch
05-23-2011, 03:41 PM
You got scabies before, so even if you are a bit phobic, it's not unrealistic.