PDA

View Full Version : Tornados strike Joplin - updated at 7:45pm

Rockntractor
05-22-2011, 09:14 PM
Updated 7:45 PM CST: Joplin High School has been severely damaged. The graduation was today, but was held at Missouri Southern.

Posted 7:40 PM CST: Tornadoes touch down in Joplin leaving a path of destruction throughout the city.

Power lines and phone lines are down. Communications are difficult.

Starting at 20th and Rangeline a tornado destroyed countless buildings throughout the area.

At the 15th and Rangeline Walmart ambulances lined the street as emergency rescue officials across the Four-States have responded to rescue hundreds of residents trapped inside the building.

St. John's hospital was also hit hard by the tornado. One resident living nearly 45-miles away from the hospital says his yard is now full of debris from the hospital-- medical supplies and x-rays.

Officials say the hospital is severely damaged. Chunks of the building were taken out and windows were blown out.

Eastbound and westbound I-44 is closed at mile marker 18 near Joplin due to overturned tractor trailers during severe weather.
http://www.koamtv.com/story/14694117/tornados-strike-joplin

All hell is breaking loose around here, we just got hit hard by a straight wind and there are tornadoes forming here and there.

djones520
05-22-2011, 09:15 PM
That line is rolling right at me. Maybe 2 hours away at the latest. Gonna be a fun night.

Hold onto your butts, this isn't the last of this you'll see this week.

SarasotaRepub
05-22-2011, 09:51 PM
We've been following this on the Weather Channel. That is horrendous damage at Joplin.
EF4 or maybe a 5...

Stay safe djones.

djones520
05-22-2011, 09:52 PM
We've been following this on the Weather Channel. That is horrendous damage at Joplin.
EF4 or maybe a 5...

Stay safe djones.

No worries here. The only thing that's upsetting me is it's dark. We always get the tornado's when it's dark! :mad:

Rockntractor
05-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Tornados strike Joplin - updated at 8:45PM
Posted: May 22, 2011 7:34 PM CDT Updated: May 22, 2011 8:46 PM CDT

Visit the KOAM Facebook page to see pictures posted by area viewers

Updated 8:45 PM CST: KOAM photographer Crystal Albright was at 15th and Range Line. She says the Burger King is gone. King's Palace was catching on fire at the time.

A tractor trailer was turned over near the 15th Street Walmart. Plaza apartments and storage facilities behind the Walmart at 15th street also received damage.

Updated 8:40 PM CST: KOAM Chief Videographer Aaron Thompson was at 20th and Rhode Island and says damage at Commerce Bank, Papa Johns. Damage going east is "worse and worse". Says he was unable to get to Range Line from that direction.

"I didn't know where I was... street signs are just gone".
http://www.koamtv.com/story/14694117/tornados-strike-joplin

SarasotaRepub
05-22-2011, 09:58 PM
You stay safe too Rock! We don't need any flying pigs...:D

Rockntractor
05-22-2011, 10:04 PM
You stay safe too Rock! We don't need any flying pigs...:D

It went past a couple miles east, the winds were so strong the house shook and we have minor tree damage.
Those were some impressive clouds to 50,000' with the sun low shining into the side of them, I should have taken pictures.

SarasotaRepub
05-22-2011, 10:11 PM
It went past a couple miles east, the winds were so strong the house shook and we have minor tree damage.
Those were some impressive clouds to 50,000' with the sun low shining into the side of them, I should have taken pictures.

Darn! No pics???? :mad::D

Super Cells are cool, as long as you aren't under them...

SaintLouieWoman
05-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Darn! No pics???? :mad::D

Super Cells are cool, as long as you aren't under them...

:rolleyes:Here's where SR and I disagree. I don't think super cells are cool. I'm terrified and awed of those tornadoes that blow in without much advance warning.

Stay safe everyone. DJones, have you seen any predictions for West St Louis County, roughly around 270 and Manchester? I have relatives living there, ditto South County. It's going to be a long night.

I get terrified for my son and DIL and 2 little grandkids. They have a house w/o a basement with huge trees all around.

djones520
05-22-2011, 10:37 PM
:rolleyes:Here's where SR and I disagree. I don't think super cells are cool. I'm terrified and awed of those tornadoes that blow in without much advance warning.

Stay safe everyone. DJones, have you seen any predictions for West St Louis County, roughly around 270 and Manchester? I have relatives living there, ditto South County. It's going to be a long night.

I get terrified for my son and DIL and 2 little grandkids. They have a house w/o a basement with huge trees all around.

Things look like they roughly fell apart in that area. There have been some reports of high winds, but I don't think there was any tornadoes.

They should be ok out there.

Rockntractor
05-22-2011, 10:41 PM
Joplin is devastated, a lot of loss of life. pray for them.
I can't believe some of the pictures I'm seeing on a live feed now.

Kay
05-22-2011, 11:22 PM
As usual, the line starts just east of here, and no rain for me. :(
I hope all of you are safe tonight that are in the line of these thunderstorms.

SaintLouieWoman
05-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Things look like they roughly fell apart in that area. There have been some reports of high winds, but I don't think there was any tornadoes.

They should be ok out there.

Thanks.

marv
05-23-2011, 07:07 AM
I was driving west on 39hwy through Shell Knob on my way home about the time things started to go to hell. We're east of the Joplin/Carthage area. No tornado here in the Shell Knob area, but got hit by some est. 60mph straight line winds - kinda moved the Bronco around a bit.

Thank goodness I drive that big, gas guzzling beast, and not some tiny electric hybrid!