PDA

View Full Version : Three-Quarters of Joplin Destroyed...

megimoo
05-23-2011, 07:26 AM
Dozens are dead and even more injured after nearly 50 tornadoes tore though parts of the Midwest on Sunday...........At least 89 people were killed in Joplin, Mo., which received the worst of the severe weather. Damage was widespread across the city as homes, schools and a hospital were hit by a massive tornado.

According to AccuWeather.com Senior Meteorologist Alan Reppert, x-ray films from the hospital were found 70 miles away in a driveway.

Meanwhile, school has already been canceled on Monday with one of the Joplin School District's buildings receiving catastrophic damage...........Many of the dead were residents looking to seek shelter when the buildings they were in collapsed.

The tornado traveled 6 miles from the west side of the city to the southeast. The southern edge of the city was the hardest hit. The tornado ranged from half a mile to three-quarters of a mile wide. While the exact strength of the storm is yet to be determined, it could be upwards of an EF4.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/49984/wild-weather-leaves-trail-of-d.asp

SarasotaRepub
05-23-2011, 07:44 AM
I heard last night that debris from the storm was sucked over
3 miles high...

jendf
05-23-2011, 10:00 AM
One of the most frightening videos I've ever heard. You really can't see anything in this video. You can just hear it. It's devastating. :(

cQnvxJZucds

megimoo
05-23-2011, 10:03 AM
One of the most frightening videos I've ever heard. You really can't see anything in this video. You can just hear it. It's devastating. :(

cQnvxJZucds

Rainbow after Joplin tornado

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2cznbI8ha4

SarasotaRepub
05-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Wow...

Articulate_Ape
05-23-2011, 01:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmXAONuL9tM

Articulate_Ape
05-23-2011, 01:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwbGU_JzvDU

Damn. :(

namvet
05-23-2011, 05:30 PM
death count now at 116. Gov Nixon called out the guard. this is the Hospital. that sucker was at least an F-4. Joplin is straight south of me. looks like it was carpet bombed.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Health/ap_hospital_joplin_mw_110523_wg.jpg

also reeding KS got flattened and waverly, mo.

Calypso Jones
05-23-2011, 07:18 PM
well that's too bad...but on a lighter note. Did you see those great pictures of the president and the missus having points 'n tha Oirish puubs? They sure seemed to be having a high old time. That's the main thing. poor dear. he works SO hard.

what jackass takes a vacation to Europe while Joplin Missouri is virtually destroyed??

namvet
05-23-2011, 07:39 PM
well that's too bad...but on a lighter note. Did you see those great pictures of the president and the missus having points 'n tha Oirish puubs? They sure seemed to be having a high old time. That's the main thing. poor dear. he works SO hard.

what jackass takes a vacation to Europe while Joplin Missouri is virtually destroyed??

we don't need the son of a bitch. we're taking care of our own. aid is pouring in locally and wide spread from many other states. I donated some clothes today.

WE CAN DO IT !!!

djones520
05-23-2011, 07:46 PM
It is confirmed that it was an EF4 that struck the city.

namvet
05-23-2011, 07:50 PM
It is confirmed that it was an EF4 that struck the city.

and that's rare. most twisters are EF1 to EF3. I figured it was big to wipe out Joplin

djones520
05-23-2011, 07:53 PM
and that's rare. most twisters are EF1 to EF3. I figured it was big to wipe out Joplin

The one that struck just north of St. Louis last month was an EF4 as well. It completely levelled a neighborhood up there, but fortunately no one was killed.

namvet
05-23-2011, 08:01 PM
The one that struck just north of St. Louis last month was an EF4 as well. It completely levelled a neighborhood up there, but fortunately no one was killed.

over here ive mainly seen that cat in Kansas and OK.

the Chiefs and Royals have donated 35K each to Joplin.

namvet
05-23-2011, 08:03 PM
there's 5 youtube's on this site.

link (http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-dramatic-videos-of-joplin-tornado-20110523,0,3810393.photogallery)

marv
05-23-2011, 08:05 PM
More on the way......

We've had lots of rain, and lots of lightning and thunder all day. The 6pm local news says it should taper off around sunrise tomorrow. That's when my wife drives the hour and a half north to Springfield for a doctor's appointment. Then it should break until mid-afternoon, and then it's supposed to be back with a vengeance. My wife should be okay and back by noon or 1pm though.

Tomorrow evening, and through the rest of the week 'til Saturday, looks pretty grim when we should get one day of some sun. Then more rain.

For anybody not familiar with the Ozarks, we're not flat land. Rain channels into creeks which channel into rivers most of which run into man-made lakes like our Table Rock Lake where the dam has to release water causing more flooding. The soil here has a lot of clay so it doesn't absorb very quickly. It'll all end up in the Mississippi anyway......

And there's a lot of danger driving the narrow county roads when creeks are overflowing. Lots and lots of water - running really, really fast!

namvet
05-23-2011, 08:18 PM
More on the way......

We've had lots of rain, and lots of lightning and thunder all day. The 6pm local news says it should taper off around sunrise tomorrow. That's when my wife drives the hour and a half north to Springfield for a doctor's appointment. Then it should break until mid-afternoon, and then it's supposed to be back with a vengeance. My wife should be okay and back by noon or 1pm though.

Tomorrow evening, and through the rest of the week 'til Saturday, looks pretty grim when we should get one day of some sun. Then more rain.

For anybody not familiar with the Ozarks, we're not flat land. Rain channels into creeks which channel into rivers most of which run into man-made lakes like our Table Rock Lake where the dam has to release water causing more flooding. The soil here has a lot of clay so it doesn't absorb very quickly. It'll all end up in the Mississippi anyway......

And there's a lot of danger driving the narrow county roads when creeks are overflowing. Lots and lots of water - running really, really fast!

I used to go fishing with my late grand dad at table rock and trout at roaring river.

they're saying we're gonna get our lunch here tomorrow nite. seems these storms are arriving late this year. I have the weatherbug installed on my PC. it chirps when any weather alert is posted.

Adam Wood
05-23-2011, 10:19 PM
we don't need the son of a bitch. we're taking care of our own. aid is pouring in locally and wide spread from many other states. I donated some clothes today.

WE CAN DO IT !!!Marv, namvet, I want to share something with you that was written just over a year ago.

Many people never even knew it went on because it got basically no mention in the national press, and most of those who did know about it have completely forgotten about it now, but Nashville, and middle Tennessee in general, got absolutely obliterated by floods that no one saw coming on May 1 of last year. President Zero barely even made mention of the flooding, and never once set foot in the state to see the damage first-hand, as is traditional with Presidents and major disasters. Instead, he was too busy zooming back and forth to get face time and photo-ops on the Gulf Coast for the non-existent oil spill there.

There's a rather outspoken group here in town who are just called "Section 303," née "Cellblock 303." They are called that because they are inhabitants of that section of Bridgestone Arena, where the Predators play. They are vocal, noisy, and generally rather amusing during hockey games, and they have a habit of being otherwise vocal and noisy outside of the games, all being regulars on sports call-in shows and the like.

It became very clear very fast that, being a red state, President Zero was certainly not going to lift a finger to, say, encourage people across the nation to donate to relief efforts. So, we did what we do best around here: we helped each other out and said to hell with Obama. One of the members of Cellblock 303 penned this fantastic treatise (http://www.section303.com/we-are-nashville-4366) in the aftermath of this destruction, and it captures that spirit perfectly:
But let’s look at the other side of the coin for a moment. A large part of the reason that we are being ignored is because of who we are. Think about that for just a second. Did you hear about looting? Did you hear about crime sprees? No…you didn’t. You heard about people pulling their neighbors off of rooftops. You saw a group of people trying to move two horses to higher ground. No…we didn’t loot. Our biggest warning was, “Don’t play in the floodwater.” When you think about it…that speaks a lot for our city. A large portion of why we were being ignored was that we weren’t doing anything to draw attention to ourselves. We were handling it on our own.

[....]

Parts of Nashville that could never even conceivably be underwater were underwater. Some of them still are. Opry Mills and the Opryland Hotel are, for all intents and purposes, destroyed. People died sitting in standstill traffic on the Interstate. We saw boats going down West End. And, of course, we all saw the surreal image of the portable building from Lighthouse Christian floating into traffic and being destroyed when cars were knocked into it. I’m still having trouble comprehending all of it.

[....]

But in a way, they changed everyone in this town. We now know that that it can happen to us…but also know that we can handle it.

Because we are Nashville.
To this very day, "We Are Nashville" is a rallying cry in this town, almost like it was "Remember the Maine" or something. We all know in our hearts, to badly paraphrase Winston Churchill, that this was not our darkest hour, but indeed our finest.

This should be a "We Are Joplin" moment, and you folks out there should be proud of it. I sincerely wish you all the best in putting the wheels back under the cart again. I know that "can-do" spirit of the Ozarks will serve you all well in this time.

megimoo
05-23-2011, 10:32 PM

Deadly tornadoes strike again

A deadly spring continued in the American South and Midwest as more tornadoes cut swaths of destruction through Missouri and Minnesota. The death toll in Joplin, Mo. was near 100 and expected to rise. As much as 30 percent of the town was damaged.

In Minneapolis, a tornado killed one resident as it caused heavy damage and led to school closures and a curfew. The death toll from 2011 tornadoes stands now at 455, the deadliest year for tornados since 1953. -- Lane Turner (24 photos total)

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/05/deadly_tornados_strike_again.html

namvet
05-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Gov Nixon of Mo claims Obama called him. and offered help. I think Nixon turned him down.

years ago they did have twisters go thru downtown nashville and miami.

marv
05-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Thank you for the excellent post, Adam. Independence and self sufficiency runs in Ozark blood I guess. Amazingly, there are so many offers of help that volunteers have to be turned away. I haven't heard about the Nixon/hussein thing, but it doesn't surprise me though Nixon is a Democrat.

An interesting sidebar is that the tornado in Minneapolis killed one, and there was looting. In Joplin, the deaths are currently at 116, and there haven't been reports of looting. Two police officers from Kansas City helping with the rescue operation in Joplin were struck by lightning. No report on their conditions.

More tornadoes are currently being reported generally a little south and to the east of Joplin, so they're getting closer. One was reported near Monett, north of Cassville. Time - 10:14pm.

namvet
05-24-2011, 11:03 AM
the F5 that hit Greensburg Ks in 07

http://www.ultimatechase.com/chase_accounts/Images/051007_Greensburg_Tornado_Damage/051007_Greensburg_Kansas_Damage_149.jpg

its the flying debris that kills. this safe shed is now mandatory on all new home contruction in OK. most homes are built on slabs. which means you become a target

6oCoBvo0YOI