PDA

View Full Version : The Sad Stories of Believers Disappointed by Non-Apocalypse

Gingersnap
05-23-2011, 10:48 AM
The Sad Stories of Believers Disappointed by Non-Apocalypse
By Ujala Sehgal May 22, 2011

If you hadn't noticed, the world didn't end yesterday, despite predictions by radio host Harold Camping, who spread the world via a multimillion dollar campaign, funded by donations from other believers. But while many were "celebrating" the Earth's continued existence at "Rapture Parties," for Camping's believers, the noticeable lack of earthquakes, brimstone, famine, and death was deeply disappointing.

In New York, retired transportation agency worker Robert Fitzpatrick, who spent "over $140,000 of his savings on subway posters and outdoor advertisements," stood in Times Square at 6 p.m., Reuters reports.

When the hour came and went, he said: "I do not understand why ...," as his speech broke off and he looked at his watch.

"I do not understand why nothing has happened."

New York Magazine reports the story of Jeff, a Long Island firefighter, who ordered a pizza shortly before 5 p.m. on rush delivery, thinking he might not have time to eat it.

Rosana, Jeff’s wife, who had been out at a friend's birthday party, comes home a little after 6. “What, nothing happened?” she asks with no small amount of contempt.

Meanwhile, Jeff is checking his text messages. “There are a bunch of friends here who are mocking me,” he says. “And that’s all right! I just put on my spiritual shield and endure.”

Keith Bauer hopped in his minivan in Maryland and drove his family 3,000 miles to California for the Rapture, reports the Los Angeles Times.

If it was his last week on Earth, he wanted to see parts of it he'd always heard about but missed, such as the Grand Canyon. With maxed-out credit cards and a growing mountain of bills, he said, the rapture would have been a relief.

:(

The Atlantic (http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2011/05/sad-stories-believers-disappointed-non-apocalypse/38013/)

djones520
05-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Somehow, spending others money without the intent to pay it back seems like stealing to me, and quite un-christian like. *shrugs*

Gingersnap
05-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Somehow, spending others money without the intent to pay it back seems like stealing to me, and quite un-christian like. *shrugs*

Remember, they didn't expect that there would be a financial system to pay back after Saturday. It's certainly not the kind of decision that I would make, though.

Arroyo_Doble
05-23-2011, 11:47 AM
“There are a bunch of friends here who are mocking me,”

An odd definition of friends.

fettpett
05-23-2011, 11:48 AM
“There are a bunch of friends here who are mocking me,”

An odd definition of friends.

what? dont you have friends that mock you for doing dumb shit?

Arroyo_Doble
05-23-2011, 12:03 PM
what? dont you have friends that mock you for doing dumb shit?

Drinking seven shots of Patron at a Halloween party then stripping naked and putting on roller skates, telling everyone I was a pull toy is a little different than a deep held religious belief.

Rcd
05-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Sad sacks all.

No one but the Father knows when the end will come.

Articulate_Ape
05-23-2011, 12:17 PM
I have no sympathy for morons. You can't fix stupid.

fettpett
05-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Drinking seven shots of Patron at a Halloween party then stripping naked and putting on roller skates, telling everyone I was a pull toy is a little different than a deep held religious belief.

I mock them for believing in something that had no biblical basis particularly when that Bible says that no one will know the hour. not to mention the other kooky things that Camping came up with. (rolling earthquake starting at a pericise time at the International date line? really come on, that's just an arbitray line, hell making it start in the Middle East would have at lest made sense

linda22003
05-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Mockery is WAY too light for these people.

FlaGator
05-23-2011, 01:55 PM
I mock them for believing in something that had no biblical basis particularly when that Bible says that no one will know the hour. not to mention the other kooky things that Camping came up with. (rolling earthquake starting at a pericise time at the International date line? really come on, that's just an arbitray line, hell making it start in the Middle East would have at lest made sense

I can't mock them, only feel sorry for their ignornance.

Articulate_Ape
05-23-2011, 01:59 PM

I'll mock them a little extra to cover for you. The blithering dolts deserve every misery resulting from the unmitigated dumbfuckery they so carefully chose for themselves.

fettpett
05-23-2011, 02:17 PM

I do feel kinda bad, but for people to blindly believe something that they haven't studied for themselves, well thats just takes a lot of that feeling away.

who i do feel bad for is the kids who's parent's got rid of everything and did stupid stuff like this guy in the OP

Rcd
05-23-2011, 02:25 PM
I'll mock them a little extra to cover for you. The blithering dolts deserve every misery resulting from the unmitigated dumbfuckery they so carefully chose for themselves.

Fuckin idiots, they earned it.

Articulate_Ape
05-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Fuckin idiots, they earned it.

Damned straight. I'll reserve my sympathy for the unfortunate people of Joplin who didn't ask for the rotten situation they must endure.

FlaGator
05-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Damned straight. I'll reserve my sympathy for the unfortunate people of Joplin who didn't ask for the rotten situation they must endure.

That's odd, I have sympathy for both. Is sympathy a limited commodity or something?

Arroyo_Doble
05-23-2011, 03:40 PM
That's odd, I have sympathy for both. Is sympathy a limited commodity or something?

I don't know but for me, I am not one to kick a person while they are down.

Unless I don't want them to get back up, that is.

Articulate_Ape
05-23-2011, 04:17 PM

I have plenty of sympathy, just not for people who are as stupid and foolhardy as the pack of boneheads that bought into this patently daft prediction. Maybe at least some of them will start washing their fruit off before they eat it from now on.

noonwitch
05-23-2011, 04:31 PM

I hope they find new churches where they will be loved and helped through this time. They've got to be feeling like fools who have just been had by a con man.

Articulate_Ape
05-23-2011, 04:35 PM
They've got to be feeling like fools who have just been had by a con man.

Oh, I can assure you that they are way dumber than that. If being an imbecile was an Olympic sport, these people would have each walked away with gold medals.

Madisonian
05-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Who's to say that it didn't start yesterday and Camping's followers just weren't the chosen ones?

No one would miss a couple hundred thousand people on any given day. Anyone you know you haven't talked to in a few days?:confused:

Articulate_Ape
05-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Who's to say that it didn't start yesterday and Camping's followers just weren't the chosen ones?

No one would miss a couple hundred thousand people on any given day. Anyone you know you haven't talked to in a few days?:confused:

Dammit. I was hoping you were gone.

Madisonian
05-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Dammit. I was hoping you were gone.

I was just left here to piss you off.
I believe its called Hell for both of us.

NJCardFan
05-23-2011, 05:30 PM
I tried to feel sorry for these people but I just can't. While I feel bad for their children who had no choice in this, but there is an old, old saying about fools and their money. Now the idiot who "predicted" this? There is a special place in hell for him. Beware of false prophets we are told. Beware indeed.

Rockntractor
05-23-2011, 09:37 PM
I have no sympathy for morons. You can't fix stupid.

Just because he failed at one prediction doesn't mean it's the end of the world!:rolleyes:

Jumpy
05-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Just because he failed at one prediction doesn't mean it's the end of the world!:rolleyes: He was a false prophet in his last failed prediction.

Many of the televangelists fall into that same category. :mad:

Rockntractor
05-23-2011, 09:49 PM
:confused: