PDA

View Full Version : Thirty-six Years

jendf
05-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Thirty-six years ago tomorrow, those crazy kids I call my parents ran off to Yuma, AZ and eloped. I feel really fortunate to have their example of a marriage built on love and trust. I hope someday (God willing), I can put their example to practice in my own marriage.

If you could give a new couple only one piece of advice to making a relationship work, what would that be?

Articulate_Ape
05-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Don't have children.

Rockntractor
05-23-2011, 11:48 PM
This would make a good day thread dammit!:mad:

jendf
05-23-2011, 11:51 PM
This would make a good day thread dammit!:mad:

So stick a Tuesday label on it and quit yer bitchin'. :D

Rockntractor
05-23-2011, 11:53 PM
So stick a Tuesday label on it and quit yer bitchin'. :D

I almost did and then I remembered I gave it to Dolby tomorrow.:D

Starbuck
05-24-2011, 08:29 AM
...........If you could give a new couple only one piece of advice to making a relationship work, what would that be?..........
There isn't one piece. That would be like me showing you a piece of a large puzzle and telling you that you cannot succeed in completing the puzzle without it. I would be right, of course, but so would everyone else who came forward with their particular piece.

Me?.....
1) A sense of humor
2) A sense of fairness
3) The right amount of patience

In other words; lighten up; give the other guy a chance; and if all else fails, kick ass:)

linda22003
05-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Separate bathrooms.
It may sound glib, but I'm absolutely serious.

Gingersnap
05-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Before you decide to make a smart, bitter, or provocative remark to your spouse, go do something else for 10 minutes. If you still feel like you need to ruin their day with sarcasm or some kind of passive-aggresive bullshit, do what you need to do.

If you both have the same value system, 90% of marital discord comes from saying ugly things (even in jest). You can never un-ring that bell so you'd better be 100% certain that ugly or demeaning talk is going to result in a Candy Mountain unicorn fest 10 minutes later.

jendf
05-24-2011, 11:02 AM
These are great, everyone! Keep 'em coming please!

Separate bathrooms.

No, no, I see some truth to this. I can't tell you how many times I've looked at my bathroom before and thought it's a good thing I'm single because I don't have room for another person's stuff in here. I guess I can clear out a cabinet for him if it's true love. :D

ralph wiggum
05-24-2011, 11:03 AM
If you could give a new couple only one piece of advice to making a relationship work, what would that be?

Keep your money separately. Trust me. :cool:

FlaGator
05-24-2011, 11:12 AM
My parents made it 67 years. I'm certain that the main reasons for this is patience and humility.

ralph wiggum
05-24-2011, 11:14 AM
And congrats to your parents, Jen. :cool:

My folks have made it 42 years. And I have no idea how.

NJCardFan
05-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Thirty-six years ago tomorrow, those crazy kids I call my parents ran off to Yuma, AZ and eloped. I feel really fortunate to have their example of a marriage built on love and trust. I hope someday (God willing), I can put their example to practice in my own marriage.

To actually listen to the marriage vows.

pyackog
05-24-2011, 11:39 AM

At the risk of sounding cliche, have fun together. If you get too bogged down in the responsibility parts of a relationship/family and don't leave anytime to enjoy each other, you are setting yourselves up for trouble.

NJCardFan
05-24-2011, 11:51 AM
At the risk of sounding cliche, have fun together. If you get too bogged down in the responsibility parts of a relationship/family and don't leave anytime to enjoy each other, you are setting yourselves up for trouble.

This is also true. 10 years and my wife and I still play grab ass.

megimoo
05-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Separate bathrooms.
The thrill is gone ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVxCtt3s_1M

Madisonian
05-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Hide the ammo for the first year.

JB
05-24-2011, 05:23 PM
woot for them.

Kay
05-24-2011, 11:48 PM

Congratulations and happy anniversary tomorrow to your parents Jen.
That's quite an accomplishment to make it that long.

I have no advise to give a new couple.
I was not blessed when born with the couple gene.
When it comes to getting out of the deal though, I can help. ;)

MountainMan
05-25-2011, 01:14 AM
Before you decide to make a smart, bitter, or provocative remark to your spouse, go do something else for 10 minutes. If you still feel like you need to ruin their day with sarcasm or some kind of passive-aggresive bullshit, do what you need to do.

If you both have the same value system, 90% of marital discord comes from saying ugly things (even in jest). You can never un-ring that bell so you'd better be 100% certain that ugly or demeaning talk is going to result in a Candy Mountain unicorn fest 10 minutes later.

Either that or rough sex........ :p

MrsSmith
05-25-2011, 06:13 AM
My parents got married at 22, and even death didn't keep them apart long. (Only a day between their deaths) I once asked them how they stayed married. Both of them replied, "He (She) never did anything to make me want to leave." At the time, that irritated me beyond measure...how do you make your spouse "never do anything to make" you want to leave.

Eventually, I figured it out. Never do anything that will make your spouse want to leave.

fettpett
05-25-2011, 08:39 AM
my Grandparents just celebrated their 53rd or 54th anniversery. both are doing well for people in their 70's outside some medical issues (knee replacements for my Grandmother and a blood cancer that they caught early for my Grandfather that looks like it's under control)

I don't think that either would outlast each other for very long

Starbuck
05-25-2011, 09:35 AM
These are great, everyone! Keep 'em coming please!...........

He didn't like the casserole
And he didn't like my cake.
He said my biscuits were too hard
Not like his mother used to make.
I didn't perk the coffee right
He didn't like the stew,
I didn't mend his socks
The way his mother used to do.
I pondered for an answer
I was looking for a clue.
Then I turned and
smacked the shit out of him....
Like his mother used to do. :)

RobJohnson
05-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Congrtratulations to your parents! My folks would of been married 50 years this past April if dad was still here. It was a tough month on my mom. (and me)

Stay single.

lacarnut
05-26-2011, 11:02 AM
My parents made it 67 years. I'm certain that the main reasons for this is patience and humility.

My parents also had 67 years of a happy marriage. My dad worshiped the ground my mom walked on.