PDA

View Full Version : Useless Tuesday

Arroyo_Doble
05-24-2011, 08:22 AM
It is muggy, hot, and Oklahoma here in north central Texas today. Currently 75 on its way to the low 90's with wild eyed panic in the air because of the threat of severe weather later.

TOTD: What is the most useless piece of trivia you have rattling around in the front of your brain taking up much needed space that could be used for something more useful like lefty-lucy-righty-tighty? I don't mean something you would have to think about but something that if the question was asked, you would know immediately and are even a little embarassed about it. For me, it is the Skipper's name in the old television show Gilligan's Island: Jonas Grumby. God forgive me for knowing that for so long and having the pathway to the information being so readily accessible when it should have been filed deep down in the cobweb cellar of my brain's long term storage when I was 13.

linda22003
05-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Since I'm a librarian by trade, the list of useless info is too long to list here. What makes us ferocious Jeopardy competitors can get out of hand easily, cluttering up the premises.

Starbuck
05-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Kandy Walker's phone number from 1960, TUxedo-7-6859.

Old guys will laugh at that phone number, but that's the way they were. No area codes, and they all had those prefixes.........

Kandy..................:)

Now, folks, Kandy knew how to be a friend.:)

linda22003
05-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Kandy..................:)

Now, folks, Kandy knew how to be a friend.:)

Most girls with stripper names do. :)

pyackog
05-24-2011, 09:27 AM
For some reason, I always remember the Bundys' address from Married With Children...9764 Jeopardy Lane.

Gingersnap
05-24-2011, 09:57 AM
It's cloudy and it looks to rain again out here. We haven't hit any of the predicted highs for a week. I rescued a baby mouse yesterday that was drenched. After drying him off and heating him up a little, I returned him to the wild where he probably became instant snake food.

TOTD: I know a truly frightening amount of trivial information. However, what really horrifies people is that I can instantly create endlessly complex cat's cradle forms with any suitable length of string. There's no thinking about it, no trying to remember the next movement, it's totally automatic. I could do this in a coma, if necessary.

ralph wiggum
05-24-2011, 10:20 AM
For some reason, I always remember the Bundys' address from Married With Children...9764 Jeopardy Lane.

Wow, that's one even I didn't know.

And believe me, I have more worthless knowledge rattling around my noggin that I know what to do with.

I was out playing live trivia last night, and we were required to spell "Supercalifragilistic......". No googling or using phones. I only missed one letter. :mad:

NJCardFan
05-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Oh God, this is going to take a while:

The Munster's address is 1313 Mockingbird Lane.

Gomez Addams is a lawyer by trade.

Wrestling manager Jimmy "Mouth of the South" Hart was a vocalist on the song Keep On Dancing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2apM0DAe1g).

Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, and Damien Wayne are all incarnations of Robin.

Speaking of which, the movie Batman Returns has Dick Grayson as Robin yet uses Jason Todd's backstory.

Martin Sheen was first considered for the role of Sam Malone in Cheers.

Speaking of Cheers, the picture of a baseball pitcher showing prominently behind the bar is of former Red Sox and Phillies pitcher Jim Lonborg.

It's been 103 years since the Chicago Cubs last won a World Series.

The Philadelphia Phillies are the only team in major league sports with over 10,000 losses.

It took said Phillies 97 years to win their first championship.

Joe Namath was drafted by the NFL's St. Louis Cardinals but opted to play in the AFL instead.

The anti-trust lawsuit filed by the United State Football League(and headed by Donald Trump) against the NFL netted the fledgling league a grand total of $3. That check remains uncashed to this day.

Steve Young signed an annuity contract with the Los Angeles Express of the above mentioned USFL for $40 million. 27 years later, Young is still being paid $200K a year on that annuity.

James Evens(Good Times) was killed in an automobile accident in Mississippi.

Edward L. Norton(The Honeymooners) middle name is Lillywhite.

fettpett
05-24-2011, 06:34 PM
I know a LOT of post Return of the Jedi Star Wars trivia (aka the Expanded Universe)

Han and Leia get married and have 3 kids, Jacen Jaina and Anakin,
as of the newest books:
Anakin was possibly the strongest Jedi ever but was killed on a mission to save several other Jedi
Jacen died after falling to the Dark Side, having been killed by his sister
Jacen has a daughter with the Queen of the Hapes Cluster, Allana
Jaina has had an on an off again relationship with Jagged Fel, son of Barron Sonntir Fel one of the Empires most successful and fear TIE pilots, Sonntir Fel married Wedge Antilles (Luke's wing man and told Luke it was impossible to hit the ventilation shaft in Ep 4) sister.

Luke had several relationships after RotJ but eventually married Mara Jade with which he had a son who he named Ben in honor of Obi-Wan.
Luke feel to the Dark side and came back, Mara was a "Hand of the Empire" was given the command to kill Luke as the Emperor was dieing on the Death Star 2, but freed herself after killing Luke's clone (Luuke) which was created by Grand Admiral Thrawn
Thrawn was a Chiss and was on a secret mission for Palapatine in the outer reaches of the Galaxy at the time of the movies, coming back to bring order back to the Empire but failed

I have a lot more

djones520
05-24-2011, 06:35 PM
TOTD: The definition of Munging.

And I will not explain. It's not only NSFW, it's just Not Safe For Anything.

Articulate_Ape
05-24-2011, 06:53 PM
TOTD: Charlie Chaplin once came third in a Charlie Chaplin look-a-like competition.

lacarnut
05-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Many years ago my service number was ER 18 493 - - -.

Madisonian
05-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Larry Matthews played Richie Petrie on the original "Dick Van Dyke Show".

fettpett
05-24-2011, 07:37 PM
TOTD: The definition of Munging.

And I will not explain. It's not only NSFW, it's just Not Safe For Anything.

that. is. disgusting...:eek:

djones520
05-24-2011, 07:43 PM
that. is. disgusting...:eek:

I knew I'd get somebody to bite. :D:D

fettpett
05-24-2011, 07:48 PM

at lest i just looked up the meaning and not pictures for it /puke

Rockntractor
05-24-2011, 07:51 PM

They changed the definition, mung used to be the stuff that came out the bottom when you repeatedly hit a female pregnant gorilla in the stomach with a baseball bat.:confused:

NJCardFan
05-24-2011, 09:56 PM
I know a LOT of post Return of the Jedi Star Wars trivia (aka the Expanded Universe)

as of the newest books:
Anakin was possibly the strongest Jedi ever but was killed on a mission to save several other Jedi
Jaina has had an on an off again relationship with Jagged Fel, son of Barron Sonntir Fel one of the Empires most successful and fear TIE pilots, Sonntir Fel married Wedge Antilles (Luke's wing man and told Luke it was impossible to hit the ventilation shaft in Ep 4) sister.

Luke had several relationships after RotJ but eventually married Mara Jade with which he had a son who he named Ben in honor of Obi-Wan.
Luke feel to the Dark side and came back, Mara was a "Hand of the Empire" was given the command to kill Luke as the Emperor was dieing on the Death Star 2, but freed herself after killing Luke's clone (Luuke) which was created by Grand Admiral Thrawn
Thrawn was a Chiss and was on a secret mission for Palapatine in the outer reaches of the Galaxy at the time of the movies, coming back to bring order back to the Empire but failed

I have a lot more
Wow, you transversed several books there.

Some more useless trivia form me:

The original Monopoly board is based on Atlantic City, NJ.

Eddie and the Cruisers was filmed mainly in Southern NJ.

The first ever college football game was between Rutgers and Princeton.

The Arizona Cardinals are the oldest continuing franchise in the NFL.

The Indianapolis Colts are the only NFL team to represent both the NFL and AFC in the Super Bowl.

Of the 4 World Hockey Association teams absorbed by the NHL, the only franchise that has not won the Stanley Cup are the Phoenix Coyotes(formerly the Winnipeg Jets).

Baseball is the only major league sport that transverses all 4 seasons when you include spring training.

djones520
05-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Baseball is the only major league sport that transverses all 4 seasons when you include spring training.

Negative. Hockey has you there, and they don't have to include their preseason. It starts in Fall(October), and the post season will drag into June.

fettpett
05-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Wow, you transversed several books there.

yeah..I could have gone a LOT more indepth...but didn't feel like it...plus i was in class

fettpett
05-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Negative. Hockey has you there, and they don't have to include their preseason. It starts in Fall(October), and the post season will drag into June.

But will it be done before the 21st?

djones520
05-24-2011, 10:36 PM
But will it be done before the 21st?

Well if your going astronomical dates, then including NHL's preseason, it would still cover it.

If your going the more commonly associated summer starts memorial day weekend, then don't have to worry bout that.

fettpett
05-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Well if your going astronomical dates, then including NHL's preseason, it would still cover it.

If your going the more commonly associated summer starts memorial day weekend, then don't have to worry bout that.

:D lol, if only WI had a pro team

NJCardFan
05-24-2011, 11:20 PM

Ah, but it ends before June 21.

djones520
05-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Ah, but it ends before June 21.

Review above post.

Arroyo_Doble
05-25-2011, 08:02 AM

as of the newest books:

I have a lot more

Of all the characters in the Star Wars universe, Thrawn is without a doubt my favorite.

fettpett
05-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Of all the characters in the Star Wars universe, Thrawn is without a doubt my favorite.

he's 3rd for me, after Fett and Anakin Solo

Arroyo_Doble
05-25-2011, 08:40 AM
he's 3rd for me, after Fett and Anakin Solo

I do not know Anakin. I have only seen the films and read Zahn's three books, episodes 7, 8, and 9.

fettpett
05-25-2011, 09:07 AM
I do not know Anakin. I have only seen the films and read Zahn's three books, episodes 7, 8, and 9.

LOL, sadly Lucas didn't use some of the idea's from Zahn's book other than Courosant in the movies, if he'd used hints from the Thrawn trilogy in the movies, the Clone Wars would have been bigger and much more impressive, and would have included the Dreadnoughts :mad:

Arroyo_Doble
05-25-2011, 09:15 AM
LOL, sadly Lucas didn't use some of the idea's from Zahn's book other than Courosant in the movies, if he'd used hints from the Thrawn trilogy in the movies, the Clone Wars would have been bigger and much more impressive, and would have included the Dreadnoughts :mad:

Lucas messed up on the Clone Wars (even though it started out very promising with regards to the politics involved .... very good, that).

I read a science fiction short story a long, long time ago that I cannot find or even remember the title. In the story the use of art as a way of determining the likely actions of an adversary was used as a plot device at the end. The Thrawn Trilogy used that same plot device effectively and as a centerpiece of the Admiral's military genius. That is probably why I like the character so much. It was novel.