PDA

View Full Version : 'Glorious Mission'

Apocalypse
05-24-2011, 09:40 AM
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/278704/thumbs/r-CHINESE-VIDEO-GAME-US-MILITARY-large570.jpg

Its graphics are on par with Call of Duty, but Glorious Mission has a whole different perspective than what even the most experienced gamer might be used to.

It targets U.S. troops.
That's right, developed by China’s Giant Network Technology Co. and backed by the People's Liberation Army (P.L.A.) this first-person shooter paints U.S. soldiers as the enemy, according to WIred. Oddly enough, it's also supposed to be modeled after the U.S. Army-made shooter game America's Army.

While games like Homefront and the Call of Duty series have often poised Eastern Asian or Middle Eastern people as enemies without serious repercussions, some worry that this game leads to confusion between military thinking and simulation.

huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/17/glorious-mission-chinese-video-game_n_863166.html

Yet we can't make a movie that shows China as the enemy...

Arroyo_Doble
05-24-2011, 09:45 AM

Yes we can.

I bet it would be a hit, too, if you did it as a remake of Red Dawn.

fettpett
05-24-2011, 10:02 AM
Yes we can.

I bet it would be a hit, too, if you did it as a remake of Red Dawn.

um...dude that IS the plot of the Red Dawn remake

that is till they studio made them changed it to be North Korea

because the Chinese complained about it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dawn_(2011_film)

his film's storyline was originally intended to be based on a Chinese invasion but was later edited to depict a North Korean invasion in post-production due to concerns from distributors.[4]

Arroyo_Doble
05-24-2011, 10:21 AM
um...dude that IS the plot of the Red Dawn remake

that is till they studio made them changed it to be North Korea

because the Chinese complained about it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dawn_(2011_film)

Oops. Forgot about that.

Seems The Market (PBOH) has spoken.

Odysseus
05-24-2011, 10:22 AM
This will probably be very popular among those who enjoy demonstrating their lack of patriotism and superiority over the rest of the country. In fact, I predict that it will be featured in every faculty lounge from Berkeley to Cambridge, not to mention every madrassah that actually has the infrastructure to run video games. I wonder if Wei or KS has ordered their copy yet?

fettpett
05-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Oops. Forgot about that.

Seems The Market (PBOH) has spoken.

more like MGM was worried about a backlash and lack of support from Chinese market over the movie

whats even more ironic is that Homefront was written by the same guy that wrote the original Red Dawn, with the same plot of the new Red Dawn. So my guess is that Homefront was suppose to be a tie in with the new Red Dawn movie till MGM had their melt down

AmPat
05-24-2011, 11:29 AM
more like MGM was worried about a backlash and lack of support from Chinese market over the movie

whats even more ironic is that Homefront was written by the same guy that wrote the original Red Dawn, with the same plot of the new Red Dawn. So my guess is that Homefront was suppose to be a tie in with the new Red Dawn movie till MGM had their melt down

Chinese market? They lead the world in pirating software. I wouldn't be too concerned about it from a market perspective.

NJCardFan
05-24-2011, 01:21 PM

They can but Hollywood doesn't have the scrote to do it. Remember Sum of all Fears? In the book it's Islamic terrorism but Hollywood didn't want to upset the muzzies so they changed it to white neo-Nazis.

Arroyo_Doble
05-24-2011, 01:26 PM
They can but Hollywood doesn't have the scrote to do it. Remember Sum of all Fears? In the book it's Islamic terrorism but Hollywood didn't want to upset the muzzies so they changed it to white neo-Nazis.

Which ruined that film. It was stupid.

djones520
05-24-2011, 01:27 PM
This will probably be very popular among those who enjoy demonstrating their lack of patriotism and superiority over the rest of the country. In fact, I predict that it will be featured in every faculty lounge from Berkeley to Cambridge, not to mention every madrassah that actually has the infrastructure to run video games. I wonder if Wei or KS has ordered their copy yet?

I'd imagine it's gonna be more in the Chinese market then our own.

Honestly though, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 had us killing Russian (not Soviet) soldiers left and right. Even a mission where a US troop went in and killed hundreds of Russian Civilians in an airport. Couldn't expect it to be long before someone came out with a game that had us as the main target.

Arroyo_Doble
05-24-2011, 01:31 PM
I'd imagine it's gonna be more in the Chinese market then our own.

Honestly though, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 had us killing Russian (not Soviet) soldiers left and right. Even a mission where a US troop went in and killed hundreds of Russian Civilians in an airport. Couldn't expect it to be long before someone came out with a game that had us as the main target.

When we play Axis and Allies, my wife always takes the Axis side.

Odysseus
05-24-2011, 02:10 PM
When we play Axis and Allies, my wife always takes the Axis side.

That can work. :D

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NstVVxb6XXY/TI-IBWTEFPI/AAAAAAAAE-U/pxVnSi7AaUI/s400/Nazi+chicks.jpg

noonwitch
05-24-2011, 02:14 PM

True Lies had muslim terrorists.

CueSi
05-24-2011, 02:32 PM
That can work. :D

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NstVVxb6XXY/TI-IBWTEFPI/AAAAAAAAE-U/pxVnSi7AaUI/s400/Nazi+chicks.jpg

You have a copy of Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS hidden in your room, don't you? :eek:

~QC

Odysseus
05-24-2011, 03:26 PM
It also had the governor of California. There were lots of movies with Muslim bad guys prior to 9/11. For example:
Iron Eagle (1986)
Death Before Dishonor (1987)
Navy SEALs (1990)
The Delta Force (film) (1991)
Patriot Games (1992)
Executive Decision (1996)
But, after the jihadis killed 3,000 of us, Hollywood suddenly decided that they weren't so bad after all.

You have a copy of Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS hidden in your room, don't you? :eek:

~QC

Hidden? No. Not hidden. :D

NJCardFan
05-24-2011, 04:31 PM

Wow. Again, please tell me you're not this dense. Question: Was True Lies made before or after 9/11? Answer: Before. Get it? After 9/11, making Islamic terrorism the main focus was curbed dramatically. Even on 24 when some seasons started out with Islamic terrorists, the real threat turned out to be anything but Islam and the terrorists were rarely seen using Islam as their motivation. In one episode, a terrorist blowing up a train said Allah Akbar and the producers caught holy hell for it and it was subsequently edited out from other showings.

Arroyo_Doble
05-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Hollywood really screwed up on this one. Considering how they floundered pathetically for a universal bad-guy after the end of The Cold War (seriously? Colombian drug lords?), radical Islam was a gift from Plot Device Heaven.

BTW, The Living Daylights is great fun to watch because it is one of the few films where Islamic fascists are the good guys.

Odysseus
05-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Hollywood really screwed up on this one. Considering how they floundered pathetically for a universal bad-guy after the end of The Cold War (seriously? Colombian drug lords?), radical Islam was a gift from Plot Device Heaven.

BTW, The Living Daylights is great fun to watch because it is one of the few films where Islamic fascists are the good guys.

Only compared to the Soviets. Another movie, The Beast, about Soviet tankers in Afghanistan, is another one where you end up rooting for the Afghans against the Russians. But, the caveat is that, just as we allied with Stalin to defeat Hitler, we allied with Islamists to defeat Stalin's heirs. Now, we have to defeat the Islamic fascists. It's not that hard to understand.

Arroyo_Doble
05-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Only compared to the Soviets. Another movie, The Beast, about Soviet tankers in Afghanistan, is another one where you end up rooting for the Afghans against the Russians. But, the caveat is that, just as we allied with Stalin to defeat Hitler, we allied with Islamists to defeat Stalin's heirs. Now, we have to defeat the Islamic fascists. It's not that hard to understand.

I know it is easy to understand (well ... in the context of human "civilization").

Makes me wonder who we are allied with now that our kids will have to fight.

djones520
05-24-2011, 06:25 PM
I know it is easy to understand (well ... in the context of human "civilization").

Canada?

Arroyo_Doble
05-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Canada?

They're an ally?

djones520
05-24-2011, 06:39 PM
They're an ally?

I'm trying to figure out if your being sarcastic or not...

fettpett
05-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Canada?

Canada? what is this Canada you speak of?:confused::confused:

or are you referring to North Montana??;):D

Odysseus
05-24-2011, 07:29 PM

Pakistan.

djones520
05-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Pakistan.

Not Pakistan in it's current state, but if the government falls, then I would whole heartedly expect that we just roll right from Afghanistan into Pakistan.

Odysseus
05-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Not Pakistan in it's current state, but if the government falls, then I would whole heartedly expect that we just roll right from Afghanistan into Pakistan.

Uh uh. Too many of them for a ground war. If the government falls and the Islamists take power (or at least, do so more overtly than they have), then we will have to arm India and then hope that our tech support survives the initial exchange.

djones520
05-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Uh uh. Too many of them for a ground war. If the government falls and the Islamists take power (or at least, do so more overtly than they have), then we will have to arm India and then hope that our tech support survives the initial exchange.

We'd have to have troops on the ground. Afghanistan taught us that. We were able to topple their government easily enough, but they aren't just gonna lay there guns down when that happens.

India will have no choice but to jump in with it, but we would have to have boots on the ground as well. I would entirely expect India to just ensure it's border is secure, maybe "capture" a few of the disputed regions, but nothing more then that.

fettpett
05-24-2011, 07:58 PM
Problem is, with Pakistan getting closer to China, we'd have to worry about them jumping in, if they do....:eek::eek:

Odysseus
05-24-2011, 08:25 PM
We'd have to have troops on the ground. Afghanistan taught us that. We were able to topple their government easily enough, but they aren't just gonna lay there guns down when that happens.

India will have no choice but to jump in with it, but we would have to have boots on the ground as well. I would entirely expect India to just ensure it's border is secure, maybe "capture" a few of the disputed regions, but nothing more then that.
Not necessarily. India and Pakistan have a mutual enmity that goes back to the first Muslim conquests of India, over 1100 years ago. The Muslims slaughtered the male Hindus, Sikhs and Buddhists, enslaved the females and children and forced them to convert to Islam and destroyed as much of the culture as possible. The only reason for Pakistan to exist was that Muslims refused to live in a Hindu-majority democracy. They lacked the numbers to rule and the power to regain control, so they rioted and destroyed everything within their reach until India agreed to partition. A US/Pakistani conflict would draw enthusiastic Indian support and participation.

Problem is, with Pakistan getting closer to China, we'd have to worry about them jumping in, if they do....:eek::eek:

Only if they can do so without compromising their own security. Chinese intervention would be covert, consisting of weapons, financial aid and the like, but it's unlikely that China would directly intervene unless they thought that the war was going to expand into their territory.

fettpett
05-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Not necessarily. India and Pakistan have a mutual enmity that goes back to the first Muslim conquests of India, over 1100 years ago. The Muslims slaughtered the male Hindus, Sikhs and Buddhists, enslaved the females and children and forced them to convert to Islam and destroyed as much of the culture as possible. The only reason for Pakistan to exist was that Muslims refused to live in a Hindu-majority democracy. They lacked the numbers to rule and the power to regain control, so they rioted and destroyed everything within their reach until India agreed to partition. A US/Pakistani conflict would draw enthusiastic Indian support and participation.

Only if they can do so without compromising their own security. Chinese intervention would be covert, consisting of weapons, financial aid and the like, but it's unlikely that China would directly intervene unless they thought that the war was going to expand into their territory.

yeah, but in a War with Pakistan, it could easily happen, particularly if Pakistan decides to go Nuclear, though Chinese are much more pragmatic than even we are.

Shit happens in war, if the new Chinese naval base got bombed somehow....that could get ugly quickly

NJCardFan
05-24-2011, 09:17 PM

The 3rd Rambo movie he's fighting along side of basically the Taliban.

djones520
05-24-2011, 09:18 PM
yeah, but in a War with Pakistan, it could easily happen, particularly if Pakistan decides to go Nuclear, though Chinese are much more pragmatic than even we are.

Shit happens in war, if the new Chinese naval base got bombed somehow....that could get ugly quickly

The Chinese haven't even agreed to it yet. Pakistan has just extended the offer.

fettpett
05-24-2011, 11:19 PM
The Chinese haven't even agreed to it yet. Pakistan has just extended the offer.

ah, still the point is there, it was more a hypothetical.

AmPat
05-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Canada?

Mexico.:cool:

obx
05-25-2011, 12:19 PM

Bingo !

fettpett
05-25-2011, 12:21 PM

been there, done that....I want someone new to fight.....like Swaziland :D

AmPat
05-25-2011, 02:54 PM
been there, done that....I want someone new to fight.....like Swaziland :D

Nah, we fight in all the crap holes around the globe. Now Jamaica. They need an attitude adjustment big time. After a hard day of fighting, Club Med baby!

fettpett
05-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Nah, we fight in all the crap holes around the globe. Now Jamaica. They need an attitude adjustment big time. After a hard day of fighting, Club Med baby!

take on the Dutch and get Aruba and their portion of the Virgina Islands :D

CueSi
05-25-2011, 08:47 PM

What did my forebears do to you?!:p

~QC

AmPat
05-26-2011, 12:27 AM

~QC

They made the mistake of settling a beautiful Island. We must invade immediately.

CueSi
05-26-2011, 02:06 AM
They made the mistake of settling a beautiful Island. We must invade immediately.

You, the British, the French, The Spanish... all you bastards :p

~QC

Odysseus
05-26-2011, 04:06 PM

~QC
Reggae.

Agreed. We must secure the area immediately surrounding Club Med and Hedonism. I volunteer to act as the G4 for the expeditionary force, and will ensure a heavy supply of cocoa butter and other tanning products.

CueSi
05-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Reggae.

Agreed. We must secure the area immediately surrounding Club Med and Hedonism. I volunteer to act as the G4 for the expeditionary force, and will ensure a heavy supply of cocoa butter and other tanning products.

And everyone liked the reggae. Now, Reggaeton, on the other hand . . . that was NOT our fault.

NO WAR FOR COPPERTONE!!!NO BLOOD FOR COCOA BUTTER!!

~QC

fettpett
05-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Reggae.

I'll be right behind with my almond oil and massage table :D

Odysseus
05-26-2011, 05:35 PM
And everyone liked the reggae. Now, Reggaeton, on the other hand . . . that was NOT our fault.

NO WAR FOR COPPERTONE!!!NO BLOOD FOR COCOA BUTTER!!

~QC
ROFLOL!!!

I'll be right behind with my almond oil and massage table :D

Okay, but not too close behind. :D

fettpett
05-26-2011, 05:37 PM
ROFLOL!!!

Okay, but not too close behind. :D

what? you don't want a massage? I got a special for military personal this week :D