PDA

View Full Version : Ford developing car-seat heart monitor

Gingersnap
05-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Ford developing car-seat heart monitor
By Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY

Updated 5h 15m ago |

Ford Motor will announce today that its research team in Aachen, Germany, has developed a car seat with six sensors that can monitor a driver's heart by its electrical impulses. Such a seat, if brought to market, could help heart patients monitor their health and provide an early warning of a heart attack.

It's the latest twist among several Ford health and wellness initiatives that could enable cars to be an extension of medical self-monitoring for people dealing with chronic conditions, whether it's a weak heart, allergies, diabetes or other maladies.

"With the aging population and this interest in health and wellness, there could be an interest in this type of technology," says Pim van der Jagt, managing director of Ford's European research center.

Because people need another distraction behind the wheel. :rolleyes:

USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2011-05-24-ford-seat-monitor_n.htm)

fettpett
05-24-2011, 12:52 PM
thats actually pretty cool

Gingersnap
05-24-2011, 01:06 PM
thats actually pretty cool

Should you really be focusing on a heart monitor while you are driving in traffic? How much could the average person tell about their own heart health from this when even physicians need equipment that shows the wave characteristics? If your heart has stopped, I believe you'll know it.

fettpett
05-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Should you really be focusing on a heart monitor while you are driving in traffic? How much could the average person tell about their own heart health from this when even physicians need equipment that shows the wave characteristics? If your heart has stopped, I believe you'll know it.

as long as it's passive and is used to call 911 automatically if it detects a heart attack then there wont be any need for monitoring it

Rockntractor
05-24-2011, 03:40 PM
None of my vehicles have hearts since I sold the mule.

Gingersnap
05-24-2011, 03:49 PM
as long as it's passive and is used to call 911 automatically if it detects a heart attack then there wont be any need for monitoring it

Dude, your heart is still beating during a heart attack. If it stops beating, the highway patrol will call 911 when they get to the crash scene.

Rebel Yell
05-24-2011, 04:29 PM
How about making a better VEHICLE? If they focused as much on the actual drivetrain as they do the bells and whistles, you could get a damn good vehicle at half the price.

fettpett
05-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Dude, your heat is still beating during a heart attack. If it stops beating, the highway patrol will call 911 when they get to the crash scene.

i know what happens during a heart attack, heart rate becomes extremely erratic

though they probably would be better off putting AED's in cars

fettpett
05-24-2011, 04:42 PM
How about making a better VEHICLE? If they focused as much on the actual drivetrain as they do the bells and whistles, you could get a damn good vehicle at half the price.

Ford beat out Toyota in quality last year, not sure about this year, but they already make a good vehicle

Rebel Yell
05-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Ford beat out Toyota in quality last year, not sure about this year, but they already make a good vehicle

Do you think 30 years from now, we'll see as many of todays vehicles on the road as we do models from the 70's, now?

fettpett
05-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Do you think 30 years from now, we'll see as many of todays vehicles on the road as we do models from the 70's, now?

idk, depends on if we stay on gasoline :D

Rebel Yell
05-24-2011, 04:50 PM
idk, depends on if we stay on gasoline :D

I still drive a '78 Silverado. Still runs like a top.

marv
05-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Ford is/was a reasonably good company, and put (past tense) out a reasonably good product. I love my '89 Bronco as much as the '79 Bronco before it. And my '56 T-Bird, and the '49 and '51 Mercs were lots of fun!

But this........http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/avatars/scratchhead.gif

How about the simple things? How about turning on the headlights when the wipers are turned on? Most states require that anyway.

Oh, it's that "multi-function" thingy that used to be just for the turn signals. So I guess that just a piece of wire between a dash mounted wiper switch and a dash mounted headlight switch just wouldn't cut it. 'Course, if it could add another $400-$500 to the car's cost, it might be doable!

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/avatars/blowup.gif