PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

megimoo
05-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Here's an advisory for prospective summer visitors to California: The state must release around 32,000 prisoners under a new Supreme Court decision to help mentally ill inmates. It is one of the largest prisoner releases in U.S. history. Exciting.

Citing the state penitentiaries' horrific overcrowding and high suicide rate, the high court upheld an order to reduce the prison population to 137.5 percent of capacity from 200 percent in recent years, translating into a release of around 32,000 people. It's not clear how many of those people will come straight from mental treatment, but it's plain that the overcrowding is corroding the minds even among the regular population.

California prisoners have been living in gyms up to 200 at a time, and as many as 54 prisoners have been known to share a single toilet. There is, on average, about one suicide per week, according to a report by the governor's office.

Plainiffs in the case told the court that "mentally ill prisoners have been found hanged to death in holding tanks where observation windows are obscured with smeared feces, and discovered catatonic in pools of their own urine after spending nights in locked cages."

http://gawker.com/5804687/california-releasing-mentally-disturbed-prisoners-in-time-for-tourists

Articulate_Ape
05-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Sounds to me that the real problem is that the suicide rate isn't high enough.

Odysseus
05-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Plainiffs in the case told the court that "mentally ill prisoners have been found hanged to death in holding tanks where observation windows are obscured with smeared feces, and discovered catatonic in pools of their own urine after spending nights in locked cages."

http://gawker.com/5804687/california-releasing-mentally-disturbed-prisoners-in-time-for-tourists
In Santa Monica, they call that a "lifestyle choice".

Seriously, what do they think will happen to these guys when they are released?

djones520
05-23-2011, 05:50 PM
In Santa Monica, they call that a "lifestyle choice".

Seriously, what do they think will happen to these guys when they are released?

Well, I guess they'll figure it'll be a year or so before they end up back there. The court system is gonna get so backed up...

Rockntractor
05-23-2011, 05:56 PM
What will be the major difference between them and the rest of the population?:confused:

Huzlnutz was from Kalyforny.

lacarnut
05-23-2011, 06:00 PM
What will be the major difference between them and the rest of the population?:confused:

Huzlnutz was from Kalyforny.

Fagboy left after the bath houses closed down.

Hawkgirl
05-23-2011, 06:01 PM
How much dumber can this state get? A rhetorical.

Odysseus
05-23-2011, 06:33 PM
How much dumber can this state get? A rhetorical.

I figured that they hit bottom when they put Gerry Brown back in the governor's mansion. At least the passengers on the Titanic were smart enough not to vote to hit the iceberg.

lacarnut
05-23-2011, 08:08 PM
I figured that they hit bottom when they put Gerry Brown back in the governor's mansion. At least the passengers on the Titanic were smart enough not to vote to hit the iceberg.

I give Brown 6-12 months before a recall petition is started up. Too many loonies in that state.

megimoo
05-23-2011, 10:38 PM
I give Brown 6-12 months before a recall petition is started up. Too many loonies in that state.Not in the Turkey State .The fags and nuts love him !

Novaheart
05-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Did I miss where the court order specified who had to be released?

I was thinking that there are probably thousands of simple drug offenders and habitual petty criminals who could be released long before you even got to a purse snatcher or COC offender.

lacarnut
05-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Not in the Turkey State .The fags and nuts love him !

They may not remove him like Davis but I suspect a recall will happen.

Gingersnap
05-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

The 5-4 decision represents one of the largest prison release orders in U.S. history. The court majority says overcrowding has caused 'suffering and death.' In a sharp dissent, Justice Antonin Scalia warns 'terrible things are sure to happen.'

http://i55.tinypic.com/rbxt3m.jpg

Inmates sit for dinner at the California State Prison in Lancaster. A federal overseer of the state's prison system has suggested freeing the sickest inmates as a way to cut costs. (Gary Friedman / Los Angeles Times / June 10, 2010)

By David G. Savage, Washington Bureau
May 23, 2011, 8:56 a.m.

WASHINGTON The Supreme Court ordered California on Monday to release tens of thousands of its prisoners to relieve overcrowding, saying that "needless suffering and death" had resulted from putting too many inmates into facilities that cannot hold them in decent conditions.

It is one of the largest prison release orders in the nation's history, and it sharply split the high court.

Justices upheld an order from a three-judge panel in California that called for releasing 38,000 to 46,000 prisoners. Since then, the state has transferred about 9,000 state inmates to county jails. As a result, the total prison population is now about 32,000 more than the capacity limit set by the panel.

Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, speaking for the majority, said California's prisons had "fallen short of minimum constitutional requirements" because of overcrowding. As many as 200 prisoners may live in gymnasium, he said, and as many as 54 prisoners share a single toilet.

Kennedy insisted that the state had no choice but to release more prisoners. The justices, however, agreed that California officials should be given more time to make the needed reductions.

In dissent, Justice Antonin Scalia called the ruling "staggering" and "absurd."

He said the high court had repeatedly overruled the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals for ordering the release of individual prisoners. Now, he said, the majority were ordering the release of "46,000 happy-go-lucky felons." He added that "terrible things are sure to happen as a consequence of this outrageous order." Justice Clarence Thomas agreed with him.

LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/sc-dc-0524-court-prisons-web-20110523,0,2337401.story)

Arroyo_Doble
05-24-2011, 10:41 AM
"terrible things are sure to happen as a consequence of this outrageous order."

Wait a sec .... I thought he was a strict "Constructionist." What difference do the consequences make? Isn't the imperative the law?

noonwitch
05-24-2011, 01:00 PM

Wait a sec .... I thought he was a strict "Constructionist." What difference do the consequences make? Isn't the imperative the law?

I rarely agree with Scalia, but in this case, he's probably right that something bad will happen because of the release of this many felons.

I haven't read his argument, but I would guess that part of it is a constructionist/conservative opinion that the USSC shouldn't interfere with California's corrections system to address the overcrowding of prisons and the conditions that result from overcrowding.

RobJohnson
05-24-2011, 01:26 PM
I hope none of them decide to move to Nevada.

megimoo
05-24-2011, 03:49 PM

Wait a sec .... I thought he was a strict "Constructionist." What difference do the consequences make? Isn't the imperative the law?They'll have to do something to live as they are accustomed .How else will they survive without either selling drugs or slash and grab ?

Odysseus
05-24-2011, 05:04 PM

It isn't the state government that wants to release the prisoners, it's a lower court, which means that they are imposing their fiat in lieu of the legislature. This is judicial activism on many levels.

Novaheart
05-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, speaking for the majority, said California's prisons had "fallen short of minimum constitutional requirements" because of overcrowding. As many as 200 prisoners may live in gymnasium, he said, and as many as 54 prisoners share a single toilet.

Is there some reason that the British and some affected Americans are leaving out the article more and more?

THE gymnasium. THE THE THE THE Hospital. THE THE THE THE THE THE THE University. THE Ukraine. THE Sudan. THE Ivory Coast. On A holiday.

megimoo
05-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Is there some reason that the British and some affected Americans are leaving out the article more and more?

THE gymnasium. THE THE THE THE Hospital. THE THE THE THE THE THE THE University. THE Ukraine. THE Sudan. THE Ivory Coast. On A holiday.Go and lay down for awhile,this is too much for your little mind ...