PDA

View Full Version : 'You Light Up My Life' Songwriter Kills Self Amid Rape Charges

Gingersnap
05-24-2011, 10:46 AM
'You Light Up My Life' Songwriter Kills Self Amid Rape Charges

Joseph Brooks faced 11 rape and sex assault charges, police say.

8:30 a.m. EDT, May 23, 2011
MANHATTAN -- The man who composed the pop hit "You Light Up My Life" ended his own life Sunday, New York police said.

Joseph Brooks, 73, was facing charges on 11 alleged rapes and sex assaults, New York Police Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne said. The Oscar-winning songwriter was found dead in his Manhattan home by a friend with whom he was supposed to have lunch at 12:30 p.m. Sunday, Browne said.

A plastic dry cleaning bag and a towel were wrapped around his head, with a tube connected to a helium tank attached, he said. A suicide note was found nearby, he said.

Brooks' son, Nicholas Brooks, was charged in January with the murder of his ex-girlfriend, according to the Manhattan District Attorney's office.

:eek:

(Ultra-scary perp-walk pic at the link.)

Sun Sentinel (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/entertainment/ktla-joseph-brooks-suicide,0,7200352.story)

Novaheart
05-24-2011, 11:09 AM
What Debbie Boone will do to get her name in the paper.

NJCardFan
05-24-2011, 11:47 AM
That's a hell of a way to die.

linda22003
05-24-2011, 12:02 PM
A helium tank? So if he had any last words, they were in a really high voice?

Gingersnap
05-24-2011, 12:22 PM
A helium tank? So if he had any last words, they were in a really high voice?

If you kill yourself with helium and nobody is around to hear your high, squeaky voice, does it even make a sound? :confused:

jendf
05-24-2011, 12:28 PM
I didn't know who he was until the story broke. Based on this article (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-05-23/joseph-brooks-dies-you-light-up-my-life-oscar-winners-apparent-suicide/), he will be missed by, um, no one. Sounds like he was a hell of a guy.

SaintLouieWoman
05-24-2011, 12:56 PM
I followed the link on the original post and found this further explanation. What a total creep. He obviously didn't light up the lives of these women.

NEW YORK (WPIX)
The man responsible for composing one of the most famous love songs of all time "You Light Up My Life," has been indicted by a Manhattan (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/topic/us/new-york/new-york-city/manhattan-%28new-york-city%29-PLGEO100100804010000.topic) grand jury on charges of raping and sexual assaulting 11 women.

Oscar-winning movie director Joseph Brooks turned himself in to authorities Tuesday morning to answer charges he lured aspiring actresses to his upper East Side apartment under the guise of an audition for an acting role, police said. Brooks would then proceed to sexually assault the victims in the East 63rd Street apartment.

Brooks was indicted on multiple charges of rape, criminal sexual act, sexual abuse, forcible touching, assault, grand larceny, and criminal mischief.

According to authorities, the women answered ads posted on Craigslist (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/topic/services-shopping/craigslist-inc.-ORCRP00000010598.topic), to audition for roles in what they believed would be for Brooks' upcoming movie. Leading them to believe they were auditioning to play a prostitute, Brooks would allegedly have the women drink shots and perform sex acts on him. Some of the victims claim the drinks were laced with date-rape drugs

Madisonian
05-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Nitrous Oxide I could see. You would pass out then suffocate. Helium is just um... stupid.
He can now sing it to Osama and his 72 Helen Thomas look alike virgins.
Fairly sure they are in the same place now.

Rockntractor
05-24-2011, 07:14 PM
They are lighting up his ass now!

Jumpy
05-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Brooks' son, Nicholas Brooks, was charged in January with the murder of his ex-girlfriend, according to the Manhattan District Attorney's office.
Something went wrong with this family for sure.

I remember spending the night at my gfs house... age 13 or 14, on New Years Eve.. listening to the top music for the year. Debbie Boone and YLUML was number one.

Too bad the writer was such a sick perv. I wonder how many he violated and got away with it.