PDA

View Full Version : " Scientists: lithium for public water supplies to curb Manic depression, Suicides.".

megimoo
05-25-2011, 02:19 AM
Scientists recommend lithium for public water supplies to curb depression, cut down on suicides...

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/05/22/052211-news-lithium-1-5/

obx
05-25-2011, 02:34 AM
Bourbon will work also.

megimoo
05-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Bourbon will work also.Noiw there's an idea,...Bourbon on tap !

fettpett
05-25-2011, 09:31 AM
yes, lets!! cuz Floridie works soooooo well

Arroyo_Doble
05-25-2011, 09:33 AM

OPE

fettpett
05-25-2011, 09:33 AM
OPE

?:confused:

Arroyo_Doble
05-25-2011, 09:37 AM
?:confused:

Sorry. I thought you were referencing Dr. Strangelove where the renegade colonel ranted about floridation in the water supply. OPE was a prefix code for recalling the bombers that was a variation on POE; the first letters in that colonel's obsession, "purity of essense."

Perhaps I should have put this in the Useless Tuesday thread.

noonwitch
05-25-2011, 09:39 AM

I grew up in the first city to put flouride in the water (Grand Rapids). All of the adults in my family with the same crooked teeth I've had lost all their teeth by the time they reached my age ( and they all lived in Canada or Detroit), except my mom and me. Both of us have spent plenty on our teeth, and I have the luck to have dental insurance. I didn't have any cavaties until I was 12. My siblings, who got their good teeth from dad's side, have had less than 5 cavaties between them in their lifetimes. I think that's pretty below average for people who don't have underlying genetic issues that affect their teeth.

Old people in Grand Rapids have good teeth. It's not like rural Indiana, where the people who drink well water their whole lives lose their teeth by age 50.

PoliCon
05-25-2011, 09:49 AM
They should just cut to the chase and add G-23 Paxilon Hydrochlorate to the water. :rolleyes:

fettpett
05-25-2011, 09:52 AM
I have some pretty good teeth, only have a few cavities, my wife on other hand has really crappy teeth, very soft and has had to have a lot of dental work.
I grew up in a city, but we drank a lot of distilled water and little directly from the tap, plus i drank my Grandparents well water fairly often.
My wife grew up on well water, pretty exclusively.

today, my oldest daughter has my wifes soft teeth (she had her front two rot out of her head and had them pulled) , the other two have my really good teeth.

I believe that more of it is genetics and not the fluoride

Starbuck
05-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Dunno from lithium, although I have seen the results of providing lithium for someone who was have problems with depression. Worked in that case, but I don't know about a general application.

Is there a problem with fluoride? I thought it worked well.:confused:

fettpett
05-25-2011, 09:53 AM
They should just cut to the chase and add G-23 Paxilon Hydrochlorate to the water. :rolleyes:

LMAO, sure, sounds good :D

Gingersnap
05-25-2011, 11:45 AM
We aren't particularly good at imagining unintended side-effects in any area, let alone this one. While I'd like everyone to be emotionally resilient, actually developing those skills seems like a better idea than being dependent on a water supply for your emotional stability.

noonwitch
05-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Dunno from lithium, although I have seen the results of providing lithium for someone who was have problems with depression. Worked in that case, but I don't know about a general application.

Is there a problem with fluoride? I thought it worked well.:confused:

Lithium is used to treat depression and bipolar disorder. The theory is that people with bipolar disorder don't make enough lithium in their own bodies to have stable moods. Usually, Lithium works at first and then ends up being supplemented with something else, or replaced with Depakote or Seroquel.

Psychiatrists use Lithium to diagnose Bipolar. If it works on the patient, they assume the patient is bipolar. I would imagine putting something like that in the water supply could really mess people up, assuming that the theory about normal personalities producing sufficient amounts of lithium is an accurate one. Too much lithium could have a bad effect, too.