PDA

View Full Version : Mayor: 'I lied under oath'

biccat
09-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Mayor: 'I lied under oath' (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080904/NEWS01/309050001/&imw=Y)
Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, who will lose his job because he lied while under oath at a police whistle-blower trial, has just pledged to tell the truth as he prepares to admit his guilt as part of a plea deal he just struck with the Wayne County Prosecutor.

The deal calls for Kilpatrick to plead guilty to two felony counts of obstruction of justice by committing perjury, agreeing to serve four months in jail, pay up to $1 million in restitution, and serve five years' probation. He also agreed not to run for office during that five-year span.

noonwitch
09-04-2008, 11:24 AM
This is just regarding the perjury charges. There are still pending charges at a state level (filed by the Attorney General's office) regarding Kwame's assualt on a Wayne County Sheriff's officer and the associated obstruction of justice charge. The AG did have a deal on the table, but it expired yesterday.

And, as no one has of yet filed any charges regarding the dead stripper and the actual party held in the mansion, those charges can still be filed if any new evidence or witnesses surface. Once the acting mayor fires the current police chief, than Kwame can no longer use the DPD to keep witnesses quiet.

I don't know when he's technically out of office-the governor is supposed to be continuing her hearings into removal today, unless he has officially resigned. Rumors are that moving vans were at the mayor's mansion this morning.

The only bad thing about all this is that when the city council president takes over as temporary mayor, the new city council president will be Monica Conyers, at least until the feds indict her over the trash hauling contract scandal.

biccat
09-04-2008, 11:28 AM
The only bad thing about all this is that when the city council president takes over as temporary mayor, the new city council president will be Monica Conyers, at least until the feds indict her over the trash hauling contract scandal.
Makes you wonder how far down you would have to go to get past Kwame's Kronies. Maybe when they get to the building permit inspector they'll finally find a non-corrupt official.

noonwitch
09-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Makes you wonder how far down you would have to go to get past Kwame's Kronies. Maybe when they get to the building permit inspector they'll finally find a non-corrupt official.

Cops with over 7 years of seniority are probably not his cronies. Interestingly, the police chief announced her retirement within minutes of his plea. I guess she could read the writing on the wall.

Teetop
09-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Cops with over 7 years of seniority are probably not his cronies. Interestingly, the police chief announced her retirement within minutes of his plea. I guess she could read the writing on the wall.

The biggest "ole boy" is now going to be bubba's bitch for four months. Wonder what the C.o.P. is hiding?

megimoo
09-04-2008, 03:36 PM
The biggest "ole boy" is now going to be bubba's bitch for four months. Wonder what the C.o.P. is hiding?They will put him in the country club for elected crooks in Conneticut so he will not get raped by big ralph !

LibraryLady
09-04-2008, 03:43 PM
And Zer-0 said:

“I want to first of all acknowledge your great Mayor, Kwame Kilpatrick, who has been on the front lines doing an outstanding job of gathering together the leadership at every level in Detroit to bring about the kind of renaissance that all of us anticipate for this great city.

And he is a leader not just here in Detroit, not just in Michigan, but all across the country people look to him.

We know that he is going to be doing astounding things for many years to come.

I’m grateful to call him a friend and a colleague, and I’m looking forward to a lengthy collaboration in terms of making sure Detroit does well in the future.”

This is yet another fine example of Mr. Obama’s famously keen judgement.

Teetop
09-04-2008, 03:45 PM
And Zer-0 said:

By the end of today, Kwame will be throw under the bus as well... :D

Bongo55
09-04-2008, 04:16 PM
'I lied under oath'

Seems to be the Mantra of the left, fing losers.

noonwitch
09-05-2008, 08:40 AM
And Zer-0 said:

I wonder if there is any footage of McCain campaigning for or with Mark Foley or Larry Craig? Obama is not all that tight with Kwame, the Youtube video is of Obama introducing Kwame at an NAACP dinner. Kwame and his mother endorsed Hillary, so there's no love lost there.

PoliCon
09-05-2008, 09:04 AM
RENAISSANCE?? Detroit is bleeding population like rupture brain aneurysm! Half the the problems in my city are a direct result of former detriot residents who have relocated - although the press won't tell you that.

noonwitch
09-05-2008, 11:33 AM
RENAISSANCE?? Detroit is bleeding population like rupture brain aneurysm! Half the the problems in my city are a direct result of former detriot residents who have relocated - although the press won't tell you that.

The problems in Detroit go back so far, that it is useless to put blame on any one segment. Kwame is responsible for his wrong acts. The banks in the 60s and 70s who wouldn't grant small business loans to black people for the sole reason of race are also responsible, but all those banks are long gone (NBD, Manufacturer's, Michigan National, etc.). The chaldeans came in with cash and bought all the stores that the black residents should have been able to buy-I don't blame the chaldeans, either.

But when the schools don't even have a 50% graduation rate, the cops don't come when you call them, you can't pump gas without being approached by beggars, and the property taxes are enormous, then not many people are going to move back. I lived in Detroit from 1989 to 2001-when it came time for me to stop renting and buy a house, buying a house in Detroit was just not worth it. I bought in Warren, half a block north of the city line.

If people are really serious about saving Detroit, in the post-Kwame era, they need to:

1. Whip the police force into shape the way Dennis Archer did through Benny Napoleon. Some federal assistance to hire more beat cops might help-Archer got funds from Clinton to do so, and used them appropriately. Understand that good cops in a large, crime-ridden city sometimes have to shoot and kill perps. Further understand that a good cop might just have a higher number of shootings than his peer because he is the best shot in his precinct, and they call on him for that reason.
2. Tear down more abandoned houses and buildings. Their existence gives the bad guys more places to hide.
3. Address the serious problems in the schools, starting with a big emphasis on attendance and parental involvement at the middle school level. If they are dropping out in 9th and 10th grade, then the schools are losing them academically in the 6th or 7th grade, which is one of the more difficult age groups to teach. Find the money to fund truancy officers again, and focus their efforts not on high school kids, but on middle school kids and their parents. Let the school police department deal with the high school kids at a criminal level, and the truancy officers try to engage parents of younger kids in the educational process. If the parents' academic skills are lacking, then have the truancy officers refer them to reading programs-there are lots of free ones, even in Detroit, through the public libraries. There are also lots of adult education programs, low-cost and free, through Marygrove College, Focus Hope and other organizations in the area.

I've been observing the DPS system for over 20 years, as a professional who works with children of all ages. They do special ed well, and the advanced high schools like Cass Tech.

wineslob
09-05-2008, 11:36 AM

If a ship is sinking the rats bail...........

biccat
09-05-2008, 11:39 AM
If people are really serious about saving Detroit, in the post-Kwame era, they need to:

Are you suggesting that raising taxes, giving handouts to nonproductive citizens, advancing students in failing schools, and punishing police officers for enforcing the laws is not the best way to turn the city around?

I think we'll make a Republican out of you yet.

noonwitch
09-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Are you suggesting that raising taxes, giving handouts to nonproductive citizens, advancing students in failing schools, and punishing police officers for enforcing the laws is not the best way to turn the city around?

I think we'll make a Republican out of you yet.

If you put Christie Todd Whitman at the top of your next presidential ticket, I might. I've voted for republicans in the past, mostly for prosecutor in Macomb County. I don't like the previous dem prosecutor, and I'm not thrilled with the current, as he only got a second degree murder conviction against Steven Grant for killing his wife and chopping her into pieces as their children slept. The previous was accused of some massive corruption, from which he was eventually cleared. Regardless of that, he pled out a case he shouldn't of-these two women killed a CPS worker. Instead of pleading out the one who helped and convicting the mother involved of first degree, both of the women will someday get parole hearings, if not actual parole. Basically, the CPS worker (who I knew when she worked at a placement for delinquents) was going out to check on the home and see if the mother had it cleaned up enough for the kids to come home. The mother decided she wanted to know who called in the refererral on her, so she and her sister beat the worker unconscious, tied her up, then beat after she regained consciousness until she died.

The democratic prosecutors in my county have a lack of understanding of Michigan law, that even as a delinquency worker, I understood. If someone dies when you are in the process of committing a felony, it is first degree murder, regardless of the killer's intent. Although this is usually used in armed robbery cases, against a codefendant who didn't pull the trigger, I say that if you are beating someone-whether it is your wife or your CPS worker with an object other than your hand, you are committing a felony. If that person then dies, it is first degree murder. If you can use it on a 16 year old who helped a friend commit armed robbery, it should be used against two cold blooded white trash crackheads who beat a CPS worker to death, or a man who beats his wife to death.

So, next time around, I'm voting for the republican, if the same dem is running. I would have voted for the republican in the Detroit mayoral primary in 2001, if I hadn't already moved out of the city at that point. Bill Brooks was the only candidate with the guts to discuss the endemic poverty that affects every aspect of life in Detroit. None of the rest of them were willing to say anything about poverty, which meant they weren't going to really address Detroit's problems. He was right-the poor schools, the lack of money, the poorly educated parents, the abandoned buildings, the lack of enough police all stem from the poverty of the residents.

I love Detroit, the good and the bad. I want to see it recover from the effects of the multitude of problems it faces. But it won't happen as long as the residents and leaders sit and blame everyone else for their problems without looking for realistic solutions.

biccat
09-05-2008, 03:41 PM
The democratic prosecutors in my county have a lack of understanding of Michigan law, that even as a delinquency worker, I understood. If someone dies when you are in the process of committing a felony, it is first degree murder, regardless of the killer's intent. Although this is usually used in armed robbery cases, against a codefendant who didn't pull the trigger, I say that if you are beating someone-whether it is your wife or your CPS worker with an object other than your hand, you are committing a felony. If that person then dies, it is first degree murder. If you can use it on a 16 year old who helped a friend commit armed robbery, it should be used against two cold blooded white trash crackheads who beat a CPS worker to death, or a man who beats his wife to death.

Not so fast. That used to be a neat trick that prosecutors used: "He was committing assault with a deadly weapon, a felony, and he shot someone, so it's Murder 1."

Now the assault/battery merges with the murder charge. The crimes have to require separate elements that the other doesn't. For example, conspiracy requires multiple defendants to have the intent to engage in unlawful behavior (no death). Felony murder requires a felony (which does not require multiple defendants) and death. Two crimes, requiring the prosecutor to prove at least one separate fact for each crime charged.

Battery requires an unlawful touching, murder is battery + death. Since there aren't separate facts to be proven, you can't convict on Battery and Murder.