PDA

View Full Version : Tucson Gunman Jared Loughner Ruled Unfit to Stand Trial

jendf
05-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Mental health experts have concluded that Jared Loughner -- the man accused of fatally shooting six people in January and gravely wounding Rep. Gabrielle Giffords -- is not competent to stand trial, CBS News reported Wednesday.

Loughner, 22, faces a competency hearing Wednesday before U.S. District Court Judge Larry Burns in Tucson. Burns must rule on whether Loughner is capable of understanding the charges against him and assisting in his defense.

CBS said it spoke with Justice Department sources who said Loughner "will almost certainly be declared mentally unfit for trial." The issue of Loughner's competence to stand trial is separate, as a legal matter, from any effort he and his defense attorneys may make to argue that he was insane at the time of the Jan. 8 shooting in a Safeway supermarket parking lot.

In court filings last week, prosecutors and defense attorneys said they did not plan to dispute the findings of a Bureau of Prisons psychologist and an independent psychiatrist who examined Loughner, who has been in custody since the shooting. The court papers suggested that the mental health experts agreed with each other about Loughner's mental state, but the documents did not specify their conclusion.

A Justice Department spokeswoman declined Thursday to comment on Loughner's competence.

Read more (http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/02/01/20110201jared-loughner-incompetent-for-trial-giffords-shooting-politico.html#ixzz1NOTscZ6M)

He was removed from court after mumbling something about a "freak show"--something he is apparently an expert at identifying.

jendf
05-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Regarding his outburst, he reportedly said, "Thank you for the freak show. She died in front of me."

Info from Mike Broomhead's page (http://www.kfyi.com/pages/broomhead.html#ixzz1NOUsOP6B)

Not going to read too much into the rantings of what now appears to be a confirmed-by-the-court madman, but I have always wondered if he knew that his intended target survived. It sounds like maybe he doesn't.

Dan D. Doty
05-25-2011, 06:11 PM
This reminbs me of the Ed Gein case back in 1957.

Gein was in a mental hospital for ten years before he came to trial ( he was found not guilty by reason).
Gein spent the rest of his life in a mental hospital ( he died of cancer in 1984).

Loughner could spend the rest of his life in mental hospital for the criminaly insane; he's never getting out.

Gingersnap
05-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Hinckley is still in the mental institution even though he is now released to his family a number of times each year. This guy will probably never get released for any reason.

Rcd
05-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Hinckley is still in the mental institution even though he is now released to his family a number of times each year. This guy will probably never get released for any reason.

Nor should he be. But I just wonder how this outcome will sit with the anti-gun lobby? I would have much rather preferred a trial and a conviction, followed by a speedy execution.

noonwitch
05-26-2011, 11:28 AM

Hinkley was very gradually given the visiting priviledges he now has. He had a lot of small steps to take, to make sure that the meds were working, before those visits began-like staf-supervised time in the community. He also was not convicted, but found not guilty by reason of insanity. That verdict wouldn't be given, now, most states have reformed the law for a "guilty, but mentally ill" verdict that allows the state to incarcerate the invidual, but ensure that he receives treatment for his underlying condition while incarcerated.

I don't think there is any doubt that Laughner is a schizophrenic. He'll probably still get a life sentence, even if he spends most of it in a secure, psychiatric facility. They should probably lobotomize him for the sake of the staff at wherever he ends up, but his legal guardian would have to consent.

NJCardFan
05-26-2011, 03:00 PM
This reminbs me of the Ed Gein case back in 1957.

Gein was in a mental hospital for ten years before he came to trial ( he was found not guilty by reason).
Gein spent the rest of his life in a mental hospital ( he died of cancer in 1984).

Loughner could spend the rest of his life in mental hospital for the criminaly insane; he's never getting out.
Question is will Loughner get the same notoriety as Gein?

wwworkingguy
05-26-2011, 03:19 PM
I know the MF'er is seriously depraved but how do they know he's not faking lunacy in order to stay in the looney bin instead of doing hard time?