PDA

View Full Version : Circumcision Saved My Life

Gingersnap
05-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Circumcision Saved My Life
San Francisco's proposed ban on the practice could lead to more HIV infections.

By DIANE COLE

This is the story of how my husband's circumcision saved my life.

It's a personal story, but let it also serve as a public health rebuttal to the proposed ban on male circumcision that will be on the San Francisco ballot this November.

San Francisco's ballot initiative would prohibit circumcision on all males under the age of 18. It would allow no religious exemptions, and it apparently gives no regard to the numerous studies demonstrating that male circumcision can substantially reduce—by more than 50%—the transmission of the HIV virus during sex.

"Communities, and especially women, may benefit much more from circumcision interventions than had previously been predicted, and these results provide an even greater imperative to increase scale-up of safe male circumcision services," concludes a study published this year in the peer-reviewed journal Sexually Transmitted Infections.

Peter, my husband, was born with hemophilia, best known as the disease of Victorian royals (and for good reason, since the guilty gene passed through the brood of Queen Victoria right down to the doomed young son of Russia's last czar). Those who suffer from hemophilia lack the crucial factor in the blood that makes it clot.

When we are cut, we all bleed—usually, we need only a Band-Aid and some pressure to stem the flow. Except for the most minor injuries, hemophiliacs almost always need more. Specifically, they need a transfusion of the blood factor of which their DNA made them bankrupt.

As a result of one such clotting factor transfusion prior to 1985, Peter became HIV-positive.

Read the rest of the story at the link.

WSJ (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304066504576343492869888506.html?m od=djemEditorialPage_h)

djones520
05-25-2011, 05:52 PM
I would just love to know why that is a proposed bill in San Fransisco.

I mean seriously, why the hell would that be an issue?

CueSi
05-25-2011, 05:53 PM
They may as well hang a "If you're an observant Jew, do not give birth in this city" sign at the city limits. F*ck San Fran.

~QC

Gingersnap
05-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Some wag jokingly speculated that it was discourage Muslims from the city. While gays may be happy to stand 'shoulder to shoulder' with Muslims when it comes to claiming certain aspects of victim status or while criticizing Christians, gay men know that they would be first up against the wall (even before promiscuous women) if sharia law ever permeated mainstream attitudes. ;)

Adam Wood
05-25-2011, 06:17 PM
What a shithole.

CueSi
05-25-2011, 06:27 PM
What a shithole.

http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/0904/i-see-what-you-did-there-lost-john-locke-demotivational-poster-1238833730.jpg

~QC

Articulate_Ape
05-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Damn, and I thought this was going to be your own account, Ginger. :(

Gingersnap
05-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Damn, and I thought this was going to be your own account, Ginger. :(

Well, I have no doubt that male circumcision has enhanced my life (particularly considering male hygiene) but I can't actually say that it's saved my life. :p

Articulate_Ape
05-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Well, I have no doubt that male circumcision has enhanced my life (particularly considering male hygiene) but I can't actually say that it's saved my life. :p

Ya never know, the fringe benefits you mentioned just might have kept Mr. Snaps from well...snapping. :p

Zathras
05-25-2011, 06:55 PM
What a shithole.

That's why my nickname for the city is San Francespool

Gingersnap
05-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Ya never know, the fringe benefits you mentioned just might have kept Mr. Snaps from well...snapping. :p

Hmmmm..........this may require more thought or something. :p

BadCat
05-25-2011, 09:15 PM
After they pass that stupid law, they can adopt a new name... "Smegmaville".

Gingersnap
05-25-2011, 09:30 PM
After they pass that stupid law, they can adopt a new name... "Smegmaville".

Ewwwww! :mad:

noonwitch
05-26-2011, 09:41 AM
The thing against circumcision is not an anti-semitic thing or a pro gay thing. It's a liberal male thing. I know coworkers and former coworkers-mostly white males now in their 50s, and liberal, earth loving types, who resent their parents having them circumcized. They didn't get their sons circumcized. It's some boomer-asshole thing that the hippies who run San Francisco have embraced.