PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court backs Arizona immigration law

Apocalypse
05-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Supreme Court backs Arizona immigration law that punishes businesses (http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/26/scotus.arizona.law/index.html?section=cnn_latest)

Washington (CNN) -- The Supreme Court has backed an Arizona law that punishes businesses hiring illegal aliens, a law that opponents, including the Obama administration, say steps on traditional federal oversight over immigration matters.
The 5-3 ruling Thursday is a victory for supporters of immigration reform.

It was the first high court challenge to a variety of recent state laws cracking down on illegal immigrants, an issue that has become a political lightning rod.

The outcome could serve as a judicial warm-up for a separate high-profile challenge to a more controversial Arizona immigration reform law working its way through lower courts. That statute would, among other things, give local police a greater role in arresting suspected illegal immigrants.

The hiring case turned on whether state law tramples on federal authority.

"Arizona has taken the route least likely to cause tension with federal law," wrote Chief Justice John Roberts. "It relies solely on the federal government's own determination of who is an unauthorized alien, and it requires Arizona employers to use the federal government's own system for checking employee status."

jendf
05-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Excellent news. I hope similar rulings are found in the SB1070 challenges.

noonwitch
05-26-2011, 11:35 AM
My SIL is a big supporter of giving amnesty to illegals. There is no arguing with her about it.

I'm more middle of the road. I support amnesty in some circumstances-there's a case here with a young lady about to graduate from high school, who came here as a child and the family's lawyer made a mistake with the paperwork, but the rest of the family are legal immigrants. Sen. Levin intervened on her behalf, and I support that.

And I agree with my SIL that building a wall along the border will not really work as well as people want it to. Border Security imo is about having enough personnel.

But, as I pointed out to her, companies that puroposely hire illegals so that they can pay them slave wages are exploiting the very people she wants to help. People who smuggle illegals in are exploiting them for money, also.

Rcd
05-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Supreme Court backs Arizona immigration law that punishes businesses (http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/26/scotus.arizona.law/index.html?section=cnn_latest)

Washington (CNN) -- The Supreme Court has backed an Arizona law that punishes businesses hiring illegal aliens, a law that opponents, including the Obama administration, say steps on traditional federal oversight over immigration matters.

It was the first high court challenge to a variety of recent state laws cracking down on illegal immigrants, an issue that has become a political lightning rod.

The outcome could serve as a judicial warm-up for a separate high-profile challenge to a more controversial Arizona immigration reform law working its way through lower courts. That statute would, among other things, give local police a greater role in arresting suspected illegal immigrants.

"Arizona has taken the route least likely to cause tension with federal law," wrote Chief Justice John Roberts. "It relies solely on the federal government's own determination of who is an unauthorized alien, and it requires Arizona employers to use the federal government's own system for checking employee status."

Good.

Speedy
05-26-2011, 11:47 AM
I agree with the example posted above. I always point to my ex-wife and her case. She arrived in the US at 14 not speaking a word of english and graduated as valedectorian of her high school class. Attended Texas A&M on a volleyball scholarship and served in Desert Storm as an Army MP. She speaks with a heavy accent but is the most eloquent speaker you have ever heard. Kind of like the characters talked on Deadwood but minus all the "fucks". She is a John Wayne, Audie Murphy type American who absolutely loves this nation.

Sure, there should be amnesty, but only for those who would not hesitate to pick up a rifle and would defend the borders of this country against their birthplace as enthusiastically as any American. For anyone who would put the United States first, raise their kids as America loving citizens I support. Anyone else can kiss my ass.

Novaheart
05-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Many of the casual supporters of illegal immigrants are misguided but compassionate people. The activists, however, are not misguided because they know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing it, and they are not compassionate because their intent is not to remedy an isolated situation of the existing illegal aliens (which is often personally compelling) but to open the border for mass immigration and the eventual destruction of the United States.

Also, while they pay lip service to all illegal immigrants, make no mistake about the fact that the core group of activists are international communists and affiliates or sympathizers of the failed Zapatista Movement in Mexico.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapatista_Army_of_National_Liberation

Arroyo_Doble
05-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Many of the casual supporters of illegal immigrants are misguided but compassionate people. The activists, however, are not misguided because they know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing it, and they are not compassionate because their intent is not to remedy an isolated situation of the existing illegal aliens (which is often personally compelling) but to open the border for mass immigration and the eventual destruction of the United States.

Also, while they pay lip service to all illegal immigrants, make no mistake about the fact that the core group of activists are international communists and affiliates or sympathizers of the failed Zapatista Movement in Mexico.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapatista_Army_of_National_Liberation

Weird that they would advocate for a group whose existence here benefits the Capital Class the most.

Novaheart
05-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Weird that they would advocate for a group whose existence here benefits the Capital Class the most.

People who brought snakes to address the rodent problem on an island, often end up with a snake problem.

NJCardFan
05-26-2011, 02:57 PM
You want to grant them amnesty? OK, fine. Guest worker program. Make them pay taxes. However, they are not given access to collecting Social Security or any other social program. Also, they will not be granted the ability to vote.

pyackog
05-26-2011, 03:16 PM

I'd love to see laws like this in more places, starting here in Georgia.

fettpett
05-26-2011, 04:34 PM
You want to grant them amnesty? OK, fine. Guest worker program. Make them pay taxes. However, they are not given access to collecting Social Security or any other social program. Also, they will not be granted the ability to vote.

I was listening to Dennis Miller the other night and he had a segment about immigration and had call ins on the issue. One of the suggestions was just this.

Also another suggestion that he had was look at the current quota, figure out how many are here and then divide that number by the quota and whatever number comes up bar immigration into the US for that number of years.

jediab
05-26-2011, 11:32 PM
I think anyone who is granted amnesty should have to pay back every penny that was spent to an immigrant who came to this country legally and obtained US citizenship.

It is only fair to those who spent thousands of dollars for the privilege to become what a lot of people in this country take for granted.

Novaheart
05-27-2011, 01:44 AM

Better to deport as many as possible.

For our part, as citizens we really need to make things uncomfortable for those who employ and harbor illegal aliens. If you eat in a restaurant, ask the owner if he hires illegals. He might lie, but he'll sense that change is coming.

MrsSmith
05-27-2011, 06:23 AM
Every state that has passed strict rules has seen an exodus of illegal immigrants. If the US would just enforce our laws, we'd see the deluge lessen just because fewer people would want to come here. We'd also see a lot of them go home on their own dollar, just as they came in on their own dollar.

I have no problem with making a path to citizenship through military service, but that's about it. Anyone that loves this country enough to serve 4 or 6 years in the military should be then allowed into Citizenship classes. However, the other idea to create a path through a college education is stupid. At this point, they've already obtained a free education, they owe the country some payback. They can go to college on the GI bill after they've served.