PDA

View Full Version : Barney Frank Pulled Strings For Boyfriend.

Gingersnap
05-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Barney Frank knocked on his Fannie

Rep admits to helping lover land job at mortgage giant in ’91

By Dave Wedge
Boston Herald Chief Enterprise Reporter

U.S. Rep. Barney Frank admitted he helped his ex-lover land a lucrative post with Fannie Mae in the early 1990s while the Newton Democrat was on a committee that regulated the lending giant — but he called questions of a potential ethical conflict “nonsense.”

“If it is (a conflict of interest), then much of Washington is involved (in conflicts),” Frank told the Herald last night. “It is a common thing in Washington for members of Congress to have spouses work for the federal government. There is no rule against it at all.”

Frank said he helped his former longtime companion, Herb Moses, land a job at Fannie Mae in 1991 after Moses graduated with a master’s degree in business administration from Dartmouth College. Frank said he was approached by a Fannie Mae executive and vouched for Moses, who formerly worked as an economist in the Department of Agriculture.

“(The executive) said, ‘Herb applied for a job,’ and I said, ‘Yeah, I think he’d be great. He’s an economist and he’s got an MBA,’ ” Frank said, recounting the conversation. “He was hired to an entry-level position.”

Asked if he should have disclosed his efforts to help Moses land the job at Fannie Mae, Frank said: “It was widely known. It was out there in the public. It’s nonsense.”

Boston Herald (http://bostonherald.com/news/politics/view/2011_0526frank_knocked_on_his_fannie_rep_admits_to _helping_lover_land_job_at_mortgage_giant_in_91/srvc=home%26position=0)

Rcd
05-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Boston Herald (http://bostonherald.com/news/politics/view/2011_0526frank_knocked_on_his_fannie_rep_admits_to _helping_lover_land_job_at_mortgage_giant_in_91/srvc=home%26position=0)

It's ok Ginger, he's a democrat, that is expected behavior.

Speedy
05-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Strings were not the only thing Frank was pulling for that guy.

Novaheart
05-26-2011, 12:35 PM
By the end of the day, I expect we'll see a list of Republican spouses at the trough.

Arroyo_Doble
05-26-2011, 12:38 PM
By the end of the day, I expect we'll see a list of Republican spouses at the trough.

How about Republican boyfriends?

Gingersnap
05-26-2011, 12:46 PM
How about no one should be doing this kind of thing?

Arroyo_Doble
05-26-2011, 12:48 PM

Well if you are going to make an example, sacrifice the fag.

djones520
05-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Well if you are going to make an example, sacrifice the fag.

I'd be happy with setting an example of everyone. Kick all their asses to the curb. No more of this bullshit censuring that doesn't mean a damn thing.

noonwitch
05-26-2011, 01:17 PM
If Frank hadn't been on the committee regulating the banking/mortgage industry, it would have been just a job reference. But he was, which makes it at the least a House ethics violation.

Novaheart
05-26-2011, 01:18 PM

Rank has its privileges. One of those privileges is that in the absence of actual criminal intent or behavior, people with good jobs can get good jobs for friends and family members.

Some people get a job because the politicians asked someone to hire him, some get a job because an employer sees an advantage to hiring a person with close connections.

Elizabeth Dole served as Secretary of Transportation under Ronald Reagan and Secretary of Labor under George H.W. Bush before becoming head of the American Red Cross. She then served as North Carolina's first female Senator from 2003 to 2009.[1] She is a member of the Republican Party and former chair of the National Republican Senatorial Committee. She is married to former U.S. Senate Majority Leader and 1996 Republican presidential nominee Bob Dole.

It's not unreasonable to ask if the person Franks assisted was qualified for the job. If he wasn't, then there is a problem. If he was, then RHIP.

Speedy
05-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Rank has its privileges. One of those privileges is that in the absence of actual criminal intent or behavior, people with good jobs can get good jobs for friends and family members.

It's not unreasonable to ask if the person Franks assisted was qualified for the job. If he wasn't, then there is a problem. If he was, then RHIP.

I agree. If the guy was qualified and could do the job, why not? I have hired an employee many times because a friend or relative says, "I know this kid (cousin, friend, ex) that could really use a job. They are a good worker and blah...blah...blah."

Sometimes they have worked out, some times I have regretted it. But it is a very common practice.

NJCardFan
05-26-2011, 02:26 PM
There is such a thing as appearances. Qualified or not.

Novaheart
05-26-2011, 02:38 PM

Yeah, and there is such a thing as only bitching when it's the gay guy, or the other party, a minority, etc....

Funny how the majority only feels the need to correct a situation when others do it.

Constitutionally Speaking
05-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Yeah, and there is such a thing as only bitching when it's the gay guy, or the other party, a minority, etc....

Funny how the majority only feels the need to correct a situation when others do it.

I don't think that is the case. Republicans have acted quickly when their members have acted wrongly - and even when they haven't.

Not saying they are perfect - we all know that is not true - but not even close to what the Dems have done.

Hell they held PEP rallies for their miscreants.

Phillygirl
05-28-2011, 09:41 AM
I don't see this as an issue, if Mr. Frank's only "help" was as he stated it.

Novaheart
05-28-2011, 09:43 AM
I don't think that is the case. Republicans have acted quickly when their members have acted wrongly - and even when they haven't.

Not saying they are perfect - we all know that is not true - but not even close to what the Dems have done.

Hell they held PEP rallies for their miscreants.

The Republicans in a couple of high profile cases have indeed acted quickly, in the sense that once the public knew about the GOP politician's breech, the politician resigned from some post or something. But let's not kid ourselves, all of these guys (DNC or GOP) who throw themselves on the sword, go on to some cushy bullshit job at a "think tank" or a "policy institute". What's Rick Santorum been doing for the past few years?

The point here is that Frank didn't violate any laws. Even if there were a law against hiring a legal spouse, he would be clear because federal law doesn't recognize gay relationships. Funny, huh?

namvet
05-28-2011, 09:49 AM
oh Frankie got a lotta help alright

In 1991, Barney Frank received an official reprimand for reflecting "discredit upon the House." The reprimand came as a result of his relationship with a man named Steve Gobi, a male prostitute whom Frank initially paid $80 for sex. Frank later took Gobi to live with him in his home, making him a personal aide. He paid him $20,000 in compensation (unreported to the IRS) and let him use his car. Subsequent investigation revealed that in the course of their relationship, Frank used his congressional office and stationary to fix Gobi's 33 parking fines. Frank also used his congressional letterhead to write a reference letter to Gobi's probation officer -- Gobi was under court supervision as a convicted felon with a prison record -- in which he gave false information. Most damningly, the investigation found that Gobi ran a prostitution ring from Frank's home. In his defense, Frank asserted he knew nothing of Gobi's illicit enterprise.

source (http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/03/who_is_barney_frank.html)

so the housing market collapsed caue ole frankie was busy wacking some fag off.

Novaheart
05-28-2011, 10:07 AM
oh Frankie got a lotta help alright

source (http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/03/who_is_barney_frank.html)

so the housing market collapsed caue ole frankie was busy wacking some fag off.

The attempts to censure and expel Frank were led by Republican Larry Craig,

lol!

After his retirement, Craig opened the consulting firm New West Strategies with his former chief of staff, Mike Ware, focusing on energy issues.

Adam Wood
05-28-2011, 04:58 PM
It's not unreasonable to ask if the person Franks assisted was qualified for the job. If he wasn't, then there is a problem. If he was, then RHIP.Yes it is. The guy's previous qualification was that he ran a gay whorehouse out of Barney Frank's apartment.

That qualifies him as a real estate regulator ... how?

lacarnut
05-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Yes it is. The guy's previous qualification was that he ran a gay whorehouse out of Barney Frank's apartment.

That qualifies him as a real estate regulator ... how?

Nova is going to defend one of his own to the end. He probably believes Frank knew nothing of the prostitution ring.:eek:

Constitutionally Speaking
06-01-2011, 12:31 AM
The Republicans in a couple of high profile cases have indeed acted quickly, in the sense that once the public knew about the GOP politician's breech, the politician resigned from some post or something. But let's not kid ourselves, all of these guys (DNC or GOP) who throw themselves on the sword, go on to some cushy bullshit job at a "think tank" or a "policy institute". What's Rick Santorum been doing for the past few years?

The point here is that Frank didn't violate any laws. Even if there were a law against hiring a legal spouse, he would be clear because federal law doesn't recognize gay relationships. Funny, huh?

Santorum did not do anything wrong at all! He merely lost an election. Frank probably did not break any laws, but he IS crooked as a snake and is one of the main political contributors to the 2008 crash.

noonwitch
06-01-2011, 08:37 AM

A fellow civil servant.

We are not allowed to take gifts of any value from clients or from companies/agencies that do business with the state, beyond the promotional items that the latter give to anyone (pens, fridge magnets, etc.). Of course, being in the children's services end of things, we are allowed to accept things that the kids make for us, also. It's not because if someone from Catholic Social Services gave me money to change policy, for example, because I don't have the power to change policy. It's about avoiding the appearance of impropriety.