PDA

View Full Version : Whatcha listening to? Whatcha Reading?

Gingersnap
05-27-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm listening to the Sonic Bluegrass channel and reading 'Blood Oath' by Chris Farnsworth.

Before y'all start rolling your eyes, this is a non-glittery vampire novel about a vamp sworn to the Office of the U.S. Presidency by a voodoo curse. Non-partisan but delicious with fake Beltway gossip. I have the second novel at the ready. :D

pyackog
05-27-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm listening to the podcast of The Regular Guys show from yesterday morning. Just finished Homeless Karaoke.

I'm in the middle of reading Storm Prey by John Sandford. Good mind candy as always.

Gingersnap
05-27-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm listening to the podcast of The Regular Guys show from yesterday morning. Just finished Homeless Karaoke.

I'm in the middle of reading Storm Prey by John Sandford. Good mind candy as always.

How many of those Prey books are there now?

pyackog
05-27-2011, 03:21 PM
How many of those Prey books are there now?

This one, which is the latest, makes #20.

megimoo
05-27-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm listening to the Sonic Bluegrass channel and reading 'Blood Oath' by Chris Farnsworth.

Before y'all start rolling your eyes, this is a non-glittery vampire novel about a vamp sworn to the Office of the U.S. Presidency by a voodoo curse. Non-partisan but delicious with fake Beltway gossip. I have the second novel at the ready. :D
We already have one of those in office...
And Snapper, If you keep reading those vampire stories you're going to go Goth .Elvira,the Ginger haired mistress of the night .

Gingersnap
05-27-2011, 03:27 PM
We already have one of those in office...
And Snapper, If you keep reading those vampire stories you're going to go Goth .Elvira,the Ginger haired mistress of the night .

Nah, I'm not that fond of black. In fact, I'm wearing a shocking tie-dye tee-shirt as we speak.

FlaGator
05-27-2011, 03:32 PM
I am reading an article on creating sql server traces looking for specific types of bottle necks in data flow.

Gingersnap
05-27-2011, 03:52 PM
I am reading an article on creating sql server traces looking for specific types of bottle necks in data flow.

Wow! You devil, you!

megimoo
05-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Nah, I'm not that fond of black. In fact, I'm wearing a shocking tie-dye tee-shirt as we speak.Wow...You are a throwback from the sixties after all !

Im reading Last Full Measure ,Twisted, and the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Gingersnap
05-27-2011, 04:29 PM
How is 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo'?

djones520
05-27-2011, 04:43 PM
I just finished reading "The Hot Gate" and "The Land of the Painted Caves". Kinda in between books right now. Planning on picking up the Game Of Thrones series soon though, and hopefully that'll occupy me for a few weeks.

megimoo
05-27-2011, 06:00 PM
How is 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo'?
Just started it and it's translated from the original Swedish .It's about a Swedish serial killer and a forty year long missing daughter of a wealthy Swedish family .Acording to one review it's a bit like Igmar Bergman crossed with Thomas Harris .

Gingersnap
05-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Just started it and it's translated from the original Swedish .It's about a Swedish serial killer and a forty year long missing daughter of a wealthy Swedish family .Acording to one review it's a bit like Igmar Bergman crossed with Thomas Harris .

I should read it in Swedish. Surprisingly, native tongue stuff is actually less depressing than the English translations.

But not by much.

fettpett
05-27-2011, 08:51 PM
If you can deal with a character drinking LOTS of coffee and eating sandwiches than you'll be fine...the story of the first book is good, but could have used heavy editing and rewriting (actually all three should have been) but sadly he died before that could happen. Salander is a Mary Sue in the very essences of the meaning, particularly in the second two books. They are decent one time reads though.

Currently listening to my kids playing with toys. I'm reading a couple things, Second Foundation by Asimov and If Beale Street could Talk by James Baldwin for my Contempary fiction class, it's actually pretty good story.

Gingersnap
05-27-2011, 10:00 PM
I have now switched to George Throrgood and Gin.

Ask me anything.

Rockntractor
05-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Reading The Frontiersman
By Allen W. Eckert

Listening to that Woman.

megimoo
05-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Reading The Frontiersman
By Allen W. Eckert

Listening to that Woman.Buy her a new Ebook for her Knidle !

Rockntractor
05-27-2011, 11:28 PM
Buy her a new Ebook for her Knidle !

Actually I do need to order one tonight.

Rockntractor
05-27-2011, 11:34 PM
I got her.
Divine Evil
Nora Roberts

pyackog
05-27-2011, 11:39 PM
I have now switched to George Throrgood and Gin.

Ask me anything.

Are you drinking alone?

And you should be having one bourbon, one scotch and one beer! :D

linda22003
05-28-2011, 08:16 AM
I just started David McCullough's new book, "The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris".

http://pages.simonandschuster.com/greaterjourney

Kay
05-28-2011, 09:36 AM
At the moment, I'm not listening to anything but the peaceful sound of quiet.
Have coffee on this beautiful morning, reading the headlines online and CU. http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTqs4rZNTrQWzEtS8ISy83TFT8ED30J c5U4ackDtDKZJIiusJL9g&t=1

Rcd
05-28-2011, 11:29 AM
I just put in Joe's Garage by Zappa. I've got a book going from Victor Davis Hanson called A war like no other.